Cutting down Tool rest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bikerdad

So, I picked up the PSI Turn Between Centers Mandrel System #2MT, and I'm liking it, a lot. Except for one thing....

I can't get the toolrest up close when turning a short single barrel pen, the rest is too long. I have the Robust 4" and 6" rests, and I also have the Jet stock rest. There's no way I'm going to cut down my Robust rests, but.... I don't even use the Jet rest anymore. So, is there any reason y'all can think of that I shouldn't cut it down, AND is there anything I need to know about cutting cast iron?

Other options would be to make some wee spacers to I can get enough spread, but I'd prefer to keep the pen bushings up against the mandrel shoulders.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

If the jet rest is no bigger than the robust I dont see why not. If it is bigger its a good excuse to buy another robust, either a big robust to replace the cut one or a little one for the pens.
Another option is to get a live center setup that has a longer reach for more room.

Woodster Will

Good quality cast iron is easy to cut but can have a hard outer skin. It can also have hard "inclusions" that will resist a hacksaw blade so you may need an angle grinder to get through it. I'd start with a hacksaw though, you may be lucky!

Herb G

If you use a 5/8" post, Grizzly sells 6.25" tool rests for $5.50 each.
I have several I cut down to different sizes.
I used a hacksaw with a 24 tpi blade.

Mr Vic

My Jet tool rest is 4" wide. I paid I think $16 for a second and cut an inch off both ends. I can get in nice and close. just about 1/2"longer then a Wall St II/Sierra blank. Used a cut of wheel cause I had it.

RobS

I second hitting up Rick I have 5 different lengths from him for kitless, for Long Pentel pencils and a host of other stuff.

Herb G

Forgot to mention, I highly doubt it's cast iron.
Cast iron is extremely fragile & generally not used in tools.
I'll wager it's cast steel instead.

Woodster Will

Not sure if you guys can get them over there but here in the UK there are two modular rest systems. You buy a suitable sized post then but whatever length rest which screws to the top of the post. Rests seem to range from 3" to 12".

Bikerdad

Rick Herrell makes quality and economical rests to your specifications. I had him make a 3 inch rest that works great with Wall St II and PSI TBC.

I have his rest with a 9" bar. It's a nice rest, just not suited to me which is why I've already passed over the notion of getting a shorter bar for it. For me, the way I grip the tools, I keep getting interference from the post while I'm traversing the rest, bumpin' me knuckles.

Top Bottom