Carter & Sons Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Camardelle

Carter and Sons has their pen tools on sale for Christmas. Who uses these and would you share your opinions?

I've been using carbide tools since starting but am considering exploring some more traditional tooling options.

How ofter do these need to be sharpened?

Can I use my Ryobi sharpener or do I need to invest in a fancy sharpening system?

Will I be able to branch out into bowls with these?

Any and all opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Do not have any of thier tools (yet).

The pen set I saw was two gouges.

The tools I use the most with pen turning is a spindle roughing gouge and a skew. A narrow parting tool is in 3rd place. I use a small spindle roughing gouge, but any size will do.

I have a royobi grinder with a wolverine setup on it. For a grinding platform I really like the "robo rest" that fits into the wolverine socket.

Not sure if the grinder is a "royobi sharpener".

Camardelle

I meant to type grinder. LOL Sorry!

Thanks for the input. I really want to try more traditional tooling but man they're proud of those tools. I may look around more. Thanks again.

More input needed here!

LabTrnr

I've not used Carter tools, always seemed a little on the pricey side. You can't go wrong with either Thompson Lathe tools or D-Way tools, both are good quality for a good price. You will need to invest in a good sharpening system, a slow speed 8" grinder and Wolverine jig, this will give you good repeatable sharpening. You should be able to find a Rikon 8" grinder for around $100, the Wolverine jig is $89 at WoodCraft.

Camardelle

Been rolling around the internet shopping tonight. I found the Robert Sorby Soverign tool kit for about $100 more on Amazon. More money but you get a full barrage of tools and a 5 start rating. Willing to spend for good tooling, as much as it hurts. Learned that expensive lesson before.

More input on both brands willingly accepted.

KenV

Sets are attractive, but most find that they use a few tools a lot, and about the same number are not use or used very seldom.

Sorby, Hamlet, Thompson, D-Way, P&N, and others are good.

I got some from Harbor Freight. Not the cheapest ones, but the heat treat or alloy was not consistent. PSI Bens Best is M2 steel with decent heat treat. You will sharpen about 3 times as often with M2 as with a powered metal or M42 alloy.

Get a skew and practice. It can do magic on a pen blank and other tu turnings.

A bowl gouge can be used instead of a spindle roughing gouge.

its_virgil

I have several of their tools. None on the smaller pen tools. I'm not a fan of small pen tools. Carter tools are excellent quality and I really like them. I will soon have a complete set minus the small pen tools.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

TonyL

I prefer, D-way, Thompson, Sorby in that order. I use an 8 inch adj. speed grinder with CBN wheels equipped with robo rest and wolverine system. I have also had good results with Benjamin's best....but I am merely a penturner. I believe the folks above have a breadth and depth of woodturning skills far superior to mine.

Top Bottom