assembly jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paulcoyne

Has anybody made a pen assembly jig ?
Thinking about making one and would love to here peoples thoughts on the idea...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paulcoyne

Yes, sorry I was un-clear yes a press to put it together, I know you can buy one but would love to here from somebody who has made one or has an idea how to?

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Being you are in Ireland here is how I made my little pen press. I use it 100% of the time.
parts needed. #1 = a small 3/8th dowl cut to about 2" long.
#2= a small piece of oak, or even plastic or corien, 1" x 1" by 3/4"
#3= a small piece of oak, 1 1/2" x 2" by 3/4"
Drill a 3/8" hole in #2 on top of the 1x1 side. in the center of the 1x1 side. Not all the way through, just a little over half way. Glue the #1 dowl into that hole with CA of Gorilla Glue. That becomes the "bit" you use as a press. On #3 drill a 1/8" hole or a little smaller, in the center of the 1 1/2x2 side of the oak just about 1/4" deep. We will call that the "pen base". Now you have a press base with the hole to put your pen point into when you press with your "pen bit". On some pen kits you may need to put a little hole in the side of the base close to edge to press the clip onto the cap.
Now I am out of business and I was going to retire on that little jewel. Just kidding of course. Have fun with it . Frank
a little over half way.

PAPenman

A woodworker's bench vise or any vise large enough to handle a pen after you line the jaws with soft wood or rubber will do just fine and be useful for many other tasks.

randyrls

A woodworker's bench vise or any vise large enough to handle a pen after you line the jaws with soft wood or rubber will do just fine and be useful for many other tasks.

Rolf; Yes indeed! I always think of how many uses I can use a tool for. I drilled holes in 1/2" oak pieces and attach them to the faces of the woodworkers vise. It has a quick adjust and can be slid open and closed easily.

PS. I see you are in PA; where abouts? The Harrisburg PA Woodcraft is have a "Turn for the Troops" event this weekend. You are more than welcome to come out and make some pens.....

Top Bottom