Any recommendations on bowl chisels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Hi all,

I'm trying to plan for the next year,and I want to try to learn how to turn bowls and other things besides pens.

I especially want to learn lidded boxes.

Santa delivered a Vicmarc VM100 w/ the long reach dovetail jaws.I have a full set of spindle-turning chisels,but not any bowl gouges,or whatever kind I need to make small boxes.

So I'm trying to gather up the tools needed.Still need some measuring calipers.I was thinking on the inside/outside set with the digital readout.

Any advice on chisels,or anything else I need to gather up? I saw that PSI has a Benjamin's Best 4 piece bowl set that looks appealing,but hate to get something that the quality isn't there.

Thanks for any feedback,

Steve

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

Second the Thompson tools, they're as good as they come:)
I've been using them for a few years now and rate them above any of the Sorby and Taylor tools I also use
Talbot

for bowl work on a v100 a 1/4" or 3/8" gouge will be plenty big enough- I like crown gouges and ashley isles.
for box work you really only need 3 tools: a 1/16" parting tool, 3/4" round nose scraper and a 3/4" skewed scraper
all of my scrapers are ground negative rake as I prefer them that way
I do occasionally use a 3/8" spindle gouge if I need to remove allot of material fast from inside the box but it's not essential

very expensive tools like thompson glaser etc are really nice but if you're new to bowl turning and using gouges you might want to wait until you mastered the basics before buying them.

alankulwicki7

I've got some gouges from both Benjamin's Best and Thompson.

While the BB tools are good, the Thompson tools are much better. Plus Doug is a great guy to work with. Tell him what you are planning to do (small bowls, large bowls, boxes, etc) and he will set you straight.

I still use my BB tools for a few things but my 'go to' tools are the Thompson's.

JMO,
Doug

jjjaworski

Thompson Tools without a doubt

Thompson Lathe Tools

The best part is , no middle men. The maker gets all the money and he does all the work. Couldn't find a nicer fellow either.

They will last you a very long time and perform like gangbusters.

ossaguy

Thanks folks,

Looks like I'll be saving up for some of the Thompson tools.Would they still sharpen the same as normal HSS tools?

I am a rookie at sharpening since I got my Woodchuck,but I do have a Wolverine set up with the Vari-Grind jig.

Any preferance between the v or u grooved gouges?

I appeciate all the good advice & help here!

Steve

Ed McDonnell

Thanks folks,

Looks like I'll be saving up for some of the Thompson tools.Would they still sharpen the same as normal HSS tools?

I am a rookie at sharpening since I got my Woodchuck,but I do have a Wolverine set up with the Vari-Grind jig.

Any preferance between the v or u grooved gouges?

I appeciate all the good advice & help here!

Steve

Hi Steve - If you are using a Tormek (or one of the knockoffs) you will wear the wheel a lot faster with the steel that Thompson uses compared to M2 hss. The solution to this is to upgrade to a silicon carbide wheel when you need to replace. Thee black silicon carbide wheels wear very very well.

On a regular "dry" high speed or low speed grinder I haven't seen a difference.

It's worth checking out the FAQ on the Thompson site. Scroll down a bit to find his thoughts on U vs V.

Thompson Lathe Tools

Keep in mind that for straight sided boxes, cutting into end grain, a gouge may not be your best choice for a tool. As George suggested earlier, scrapers may be much more useful for boxes. But for bowls, a well ground bowl gouge will be your best friend.

Just one person's opinion.

Ed

keithkarl2007

The V shaped gouge would be easier to sharpen. I'd love to try one of their gouges. I currently use Robert Sorby gouges and 2 bowl gouges from D-Way tools which hold a great sharp edge. Much harder steel than the Sorby gouges.

Top Bottom