What finish for antler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jerry I

I'm turning my first antler pen and wondered what I should finish it with. I normally use c/a and blo on all my wood pens. Should I just use ca on the antler? Thanks.
Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

I like thin CA, 4-5 coats, then however many of the thick you have patience for-2 or 3 minimum. Comes out like glass, and fills any voids that you almost always get with antler. If you're going to engrave, do that first then finish.

Good Luck,
Dale

bad

When I turn antler, I usually try to make sure that the whole outer surface of the pen is hard material of the antler and not the porous material in the centre. If I can do that I don't bother finishing it with anything. Just MM it to the finest grade and that's it.

JohnU

I usually sand to 600 appling a few coats of thin ca in between the last couple grits to fill the marrow if exposed and then with micro mesh. Once I get a smooth surface, I use ren wax and buff on a wheel. Sometimes if I have a lot of bark (natural surface of the antler) I will apply three thin coats of sprac lacquer and let sit about five days and then buff.

rherrell

I use thin CA if I have marrow but only for stabilizing it. I don't put any finish on it. Sand with 600 grit and buff, thats it. If I'm lucky enough to have alot of bark showing I take it real easy on the sanding.

Top Bottom