Tony's eclectic acrylic finshong system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Well, I took he best advice (as least as how I was applied to apply the advice), from the kind folks of IAP and added my own experimentation. I produced a 99 to 100% scratch-free finish -even with solid black. I repeated this process 5 times and it worked flawlessly. It also uses less materials and no buffing. If you would like a copy of it, I would be happy to send to you in a Word document. I thought it was a fluke, but 5 times with solid black and dark red blanks is no fluke. Some of you will see your advice in "my" process. I am about to use make a pen now. The finish is remarkable. Remember, I have only used this on AA pen blanks. Thanks to all of you who have offered your advice.

Be blessed,

Tony

Last edited:

TonyL

"Tony's" Acrylic pen finish

Here's everything including some pics. I do not touch it with any buffing wheel.

I photographed the finished pen not under magnification, but in bright light help at a angle to show any scratches. The ones on the mandrel are magnified.

I did this with two solid blacks and two solid reds too - but no pics (sent as gifts before I photographed them.

Let me know if it works-out for you.

And thank you all for your selfless input!

Attachments

• Scratch-free 1.jpg
    Scratch-free 1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Scratch-free 2.jpg
    Scratch-free 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Teal Trim Line 24.jpg
    Teal Trim Line 24.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 249

denniszoomy

Well, I took he best advice (as least as how I was applied to apply the advice), from the kind folks of IAP and added my own experimentation. I produced a 99 to 100% scratch-free finish -even with solid black. I repeated this process 5 times and it worked flawlessly. It also uses less materials and no buffing. If you would like a copy of it, I would be happy to send to you in a Word document. I thought it was a fluke, but 5 times with solid black and dark red blanks is no fluke. Some of you will see your advice in "my" process. I am about to use make a pen now. The finish is remarkable. Remember, I have only used this on AA pen blanks. Thanks to all of you who have offered your advice.

Be blessed,

Tony

Toni,

I too would like a copy of this.
Zoomy66@gmail.com

Dennis

TonyL

Word doc never made it.

The Word doc never made it. Let me try again. Sorry. I did attach it.

Attachments

• Tony’s Acrylic Finishing Process.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 590

TonyL

I had to change it to a doc document from a docx doc. Sorry about that.

Enjoy!

KenV

When you struggle and struggle and then it comes together -- the word is "MAGIC"

You have made it Magic for yourself!!!

Congrats -- we share your smiles!!!

TonyL

Thank you. It was more like "migraine" (LOL) than magic. The two separate two coats of the 105 really make the biggest difference.

brownsfn2

In your last step you mention Regex. Is that a car wax? If so will the brilliance of the finish wear off as the wax layer wears off?

Just curious. I have though about wax on acrylic before but that thought keeps me from trying it.

TonyL

Rejex is formulated to last a year on a car in a garage. I actually find almost as much brillance after the secong application of 205. Also rejex can be applied aftee every twelve to 24 hours. When I use on my car, I apply 3 coats. Each coat adds depth to the shine and durability. This is a good point though. How is this dealth with using diamond dust, blue rouge, etc? Lastly. Rejex doesn't remove scratches, do I guess you can do what you like after the 205. Your thoughts?

brownsfn2

Well with buffing the shine is there because of the absence of scratches on the plastic. It would dull after heavy use.

The wax would fill the scratches making a smooth surface that is really brilliant. I have just been worried in the past about it wearing quicker and wearing off the pen after heavy use.

I guess I have never taken the time to test either method. It would require me to have enough patience to wait for a year for results. :)

flyitfast

Thanks Tony for posting. Anxious to try.
If OK with you, I will share with our penturning Chapter at the next meeting. I'll give it a try so they can see the results.
gordon

TonyL

Of course, it's OK. Just remember, I am a beginner. This was pure trial and error. It was a little more intentional than the discovery of soap. :).

plano_harry

Tony, I like your process :) and the results certainly speak for themselves! I use Meguiars Ultimate Polish and have been very pleased with the results. I will take a look at the 105/205 and might give it a try. Thanks for sharing your process and the great results!:good:

TonyL

Thank you Harry. As you probably know that Meguiars uses a numeric system to identify its professional line. What Meg tolds me is that the only difference between their pro line and non-pro line is the flammability of the product. Their pro line is designed for working in an auto body shop. Therefore what you are using and what I used may be the same thing in terms of scratch removal. What I like about their pro line is that it is easier to determine the "aggressiveness" of each product. I do start with the 205, but find myself going to the 105 (2 apps), the 205 (2 apps). Perhaps as I get better (I think I am at 30 pens), I won't need as aggressive products. I do like not having to use the BG buffy system (I only have one lathe). And not having to go beyond 4k on the MM. We will see. I am penned-out for today. I did sell my second pen which again is not why I am doing this. I didn't think I was going to find such nice people either! That has been a big plus. I also fly fish. I have found few willing to share their secrets with me. This has been a great experience. Take care!

TonyL

Folks. I believe I mentioned this in my earlier threads: I have only achieved these results with acrylic (primarily AA) blanks. I have not achieved these results with the two CA finish wood pens that I turned. Just a word of caution. I hope that no one was misled Thanks!

Charlie69

The Meguiars 105 & 205 have oil, silicone wax in them to temporarily cover up scratches. To see how the pen will look after some use wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol. The ipa will remove the silicone/oils and show the actual finish. Hope this helps.

TonyL

Thank you. I will test it out the next time I finish a pen, but before assembling.

TonyL

Naturally, I couldn't wait to try to reveal the hidden scratches, so I applied 4 applications of IPA (just in case the Rejex was creating some type of physical or chemical barrier) using a paper towel to my son's solid dark red acrylic pen and removed the 105, 205 and Rejex (at least I think I removed it). I still could not find any scratches (doesn't mean they are not there, I just couldn't find them under magnified light). The 105 and 205 products claim to remove fin scratches, not fill them (Meguiar's could claim they cure warts....it's just a claim and I have no idea what they really do). I did pull and attach their MSDS sheets and look up each listed ingredient and quite frankly can't tell if it these are "fancy" names for wax and silicone - I definitely wouldn't pour it on my pancakes :). Any way, whether it fills them, removes them or causes my eyes and mind to believe they are not there I am going to stick with it until my skills improve. They know me on a first name basis at M's, I will call them tomorrow. I am curious. Thanks again for the heads-up!

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/M-Line%20MSDS/M105.PDF
http://www.meguiars.co.nz/images/uploads/M205-ultra-finishing-compound.pdf

brownsfn2

I think scratches are there in all our pens. It is how fine we make them that makes them disappear. Everyone has their own finishing method. Glad you found yours.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Tony your system sound like a really good one and I would like go give it a try, however my HF lathe does not go in reverse so would I flip the blanks 90 deg. to achieve the same results.

TonyL

Why don't you come over between 2 and 4 today and I will show you myself? Maybe I lucked-out 5 times in a row? Tomorrow is also good. I need an excuse to make a pen LOL.

Meguiar's isn't open yet; I sill want to ask them about any fillers.

I don't think the club needs or wants a newbie showing them what I do. If I had equipment I would tape it and post the results under magnification.

If you have a 10 or 20x loop and decide to come over, bring it. I am just using a large magnifying glass.

TonyL

I don't think it matters

Tony your system sound like a really good one and I would like go give it a try, however my HF lathe does not go in reverse so would I flip the blanks 90 deg. to achieve the same results.

I will try my next one using all forward direction. Now I have an excuse to make a pen! I called it Tony's eclectic process (drawn from the all/the best sources) because I tested what you all have shared with me. I still don't have a clue as to what I am really doing.

I will make another dark blue and send you the pics. I will also take pics through-out the process. I had a good digital camera, but now I am using an Android phone - so it will be what it will be

Gary Beasley

Why don't you come over between 2 and 4 today and I will show you myself? Maybe I lucked-out 5 times in a row? Tomorrow is also good. I need an excuse to make a pen LOL.

I don't think the club needs or wants a newbie showing them what I do. If I had equipment I would tape it and post the results under magnification.

If you have a 10 or 20x loop and decide to come over, bring it. I am just using a large magnifying glass.

Actually the club would welcome your input. My son did a demo, I think on custom slims, and we all had a great time of it. He was just as much a newbie as you.

TonyL

Funny

Actually the club would welcome your input. My son did a demo, I think on custom slims, and we all had a great time of it. He was just as much a newbie as you.

I would be happy to. But let's set this up.

• I am a newbie
  • I was born in Brooklyn/Queens and attend college in the Bronx.
  • I am not only a Yankees fan, but a "Yankee".
  • My family didn't come over on the Mayflower (Italian American).
  • I am not using equipment that many very talented and experienced sponsor sell - although I do own it.
Why don't I just come as dressed in Union garb, and start the meeting with the Gettysburg address :)? While I love it here (and the people as much as the state) and can't stand NYC, I don't think I will "blend".

I do own a gun and pocket knife now and my best friend raises chickens - so I am trying, but don't want to risk offending any one. Thanks for the offer though!

Now my beautiful wife of 26 years, has the same background (we lived across the street from each and are childhood sweethearts), but she is the sweetest, little thing (she really is little) in the world. She, they would accept.

Ok. Time to insert the painted tubes!

Top Bottom