my first polyresin blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I've done many acrylics, rhinos, acetate etc different assortments of acrylics. The blank pictured was on a discount sale and is a polyresin Tiger blank they came round to begin with. Can I use the same finish I use on acrylics with the poly resin. I personally will wet sand to 2000 and then I use the three-part Dr Kirks finishing system . I found this to be faster than a micro mesh wet sanding to 12000 and I don't see a difference in my finishes between the two.

What do others do to get the best shine finish on a poly resin blank?
The one pictured will be a double sewing seam ripper. Honestly this is where I making the most money! I never thought I would be turning sewing accessories for a profit in my wood shop! In 10 months I've sold more than 75 and I've only been turning for 12 months!

Attachments

• IMAG4213.jpg
    IMAG4213.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG4214.jpg
    IMAG4214.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 220

endacoz

I had asummed I could charge more for poly resin as most blanks are acrylic. This poly resin blank has a softer feel than any acrylics. Dr. Kirks finishing system worked fine on it like you said.

dangre

I had asummed I could charge more for poly resin as most blanks are acrylic. This poly resin blank has a softer feel than any acrylics. Dr. Kirks finishing system worked fine on it like you said.

The two biggest factors I've found for how soft/brittle a blank will be is how much hardener/catalyst is used and the curing temperature. I use less than recommended amount of MEKP and in warm, 75+ degrees, and get nice curls and shavings. While it may look colorful all over the shop, I hate exploding blanks.:eek: If you want a real challenge, try turning Inlace Acrylester. Like turning crystals with a hammer.

Top Bottom