Gilders paste wax

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plumcrazzy

Curious about something. I just acquired a small tin of Gilders paste wax (Gold) and am wanting to try some experiments by using some of this wax to finish pens. My thoughts are as follows: Using a dark wood (Walnut, Ebony, etc) then turn and finish to size and shape desired. Apply the wax in a random swirl pattern that would be very faint and hopefully resemble a veining/marbeling effect. I realize that I probably could not use a CA type finish over the wax because it would probably smear the wax. I was thinking about spraying a couple of coats of clear lacquer over the wax and then build up coats of CA. Anyone have any experience with this process? Any suggestions? Pitfalls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

Nothing will stick to wax. That would have to be the final coat and it wont stand up for long on a pen. I'm familiar with gilding but not that product. I'd guess its used as a protectant over surface gilding on picture frames etc.

Charlie_W

I can't speak as to your product. As previously mentioned. The wax may preclude any following Finish being applied.
I have used some Goldfinger Guilding Paste on some ornaments and after it dries, I have sprayed some rattle can finish...probably Krylon satin acrylic over it with no problem. I did come back and rub another coat of Guilding paste on to improve the metallic shimmer. These were ornaments, not pens and will not get handled as much.
Sounds like some experimenting for you to see what works.
Good luck!

Marcros

you may get away with using it to grain fill. I haven't done it on pens, but you can ebonise or stain the item black, then put the wax on and remove the excess with oil. I used danish oil from memory, and it was a chestnut products gold gilt cream (I assume it is the same principle). Chestnut Gilt Cream - Gilding - Abrasives, Cleaners & Finishing | Axminster Tools & Machinery

it works best with an open grained timber- I used English ash and English elm.

test on scrap first of course.

Woodster Will

I am new to the forum but if you will look up jimmy clews on YouTube he has a really good detailed video on using that stuff..

Yes, I've seen that and he does apply a finish on top of the wax. I think it works because the wax only ends up in the pores of the wood?

plumcrazzy

Did a Google search on this subject and several sites indicated that clear coats are readily accepted over the gilders paste wax (lacquer, acrylic, etc). They even described what hi/lo temps the product could/would withstand and some of those numbers were impressive. I plan to give this shot when we get some dreary weather and I can't get outside. Will keep you posted.

Top Bottom