General Finishes Woodturner's Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I've been using this for about a month now, and the more I use it the better I like it.

I've found a few tricks to bring up a nice shine. Between coats I buff it with micromesh 8000 pads, dry. I put on the first few coats with the lathe spinning, then wipe them on lengthwise with the lathe stopped, turning the work by hand as I wipe on the finish. Three coats gives a nice shine on things that will not get a lot of handling. I put six on things like pens or handles.

It does not fill grain, so use a grain filler, or sand with some thin CA before finishing.

It gives a more natural finish to wooden pens...not so "plastic" looking as CA can be. I have not been able to get a glassy smooth high gloss finish with it, but it gives a beautiful semi-gloss finish. But that may be my lack of experience using it.

It takes only a little longer than a CA finish. Max of about 10 minutes between coats in cold weather, only about 3 or 4 minutes when it is hot.

It would be great for someone allergic to CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensbydesign

i only sand to six hundred between coats, lightly to give some teeth to the next layer to stick to, this is a poly and as such don't like to stick to itself. after 3 to five coats i will sand with the micro mesh quickly finishing off with a buffing wheel with plastic rouge.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've been playing with this finish too and the more I use it the more I like it. I don't mind that it doesn't fill the grain. It keeps it looking more like wood instead of the plastic look. I've been using a pen finished with this for a few months and it seems to hold up ok.

Here's a picture of a pen I finished with Woodturner's Finish. This is not the pen I've been using but the finish on both look the same.

I'm thinking of doing a torture test by finishing a piece of wood and throwing it in the washing machine. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Img_0074a.jpg
    Img_0074a.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 730

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've used Woodturner's Finish and the more I use it the more I like it.

Woodturner's finish is a hybrid oil/water finish. Basically it is Enduro that's been reformulated to dry faster.

A few weeks ago I had a tour of the General Finishes facility. At our next meeting in January a rep from the company will be joining us and giving a demo on their product. Everyone will be going home with a sample to play with.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am going to pick up some and give it a try also.

I am allergic to CA but overcome it with a DC, overhead fan and a full face mask. Still I need to move to another finish as I start bringing my grandsons into the fun!

Thanks for posting this.

Top Bottom