Finishing a gator bone / acrylic pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe Burns

I presently have a blank on the lathe that is a gator bone / acrylic combo blank. Just too hot to work more than 15 mins on it at a time in the garage.

I have a question on finishing the blank as this is my first time working with this material. Im planning on using CA on the blank once Im done turning. Do I need to use Micro Mesh and polish the blank before applying CA? On wood I normally put about 15 coats of medium CA for my finish. How much should I apply on this one?

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ronfinch

To do, or not to do.........

Joe, I've finished a couple of gator pens, CA'd and not CA'd. I definately prefer the finish with CA. I use 20 coats of thin, then MM.

Attachments

• gator2.jpg
    gator2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 238

Akula

Turn the blank and sand up to 1000.
Clean well with DNA
CA and MM and I buff on a wheel.

I have been on a alligator kick for the last 6 or 7 months now. I have done them before but the interest has really jumped over that time

tkbarron

Ditto what the other guys said.

Be sure to use thin CA to douse the bone a few times as you turn and when you get to final turn depth, after rough sanding, clean the blank with compressed air, toothbrush and DNA. Then start your finish coatings of CA.

Tom

Joe Burns

I appreciate it everyone. this is what I needed to know. I have the cap between centers now and hope to finish before the weekend.

Joe

Top Bottom