Exoticblanks BAD batch of Accelerator...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Hey Tim,
Don't worry about the thread still going, we are all looking to help and to learn from the experience (one, the other, or both).

I know you are frustrated and thinking that if it worked on half and not on the other half then the only item changed (the accel) must be bad. But that doesn't mean it's bad, just different. The chemical make-up of the two accels could be just slightly different and mean that you have to change your technique slightly to adjust for that difference.

The problem with wood is each piece is a variable in itself also. Moisture contents, oil content, grain, density, and other things can vary from piece to piece and even in different areas of the same piece. It's a natural material and far from "perfect" in composition, That's one of the reasons people love working with wood so much, the challenge. Woodworkers are problem solvers by nature since each piece will have its own reasons why the 'plan" won't work this time like it did last time.

Be patient. There is a vast reservoir of experience here (even from those that have abandoned a technique, like myself in this instance).

Hopefully Monty will figure out what is happening in your case, but you may want to try the techniques others have offered in the mean time to see if they make the process work for you again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am fairly confident that the "offending party" here is the spritzer on the accelerant. I suspect you are getting larger "droplets" to hit the blank. Could be too close to the mandrel when you are spraying, or could be the "spritzer" is not inhaling enough air and sending off too much liquid. Did you, by chance, use the same "spray top" on both tries?

Not that it is definitive---we could have TWO spray tops that don't spray right, too.

But all the entries on this thread got us to this point, Tim. So, please don't take offense when many folks are TRYING to help. SOME don't read every entry:eek::eek::eek:, before commenting. Others are not really commenting on your specific problem, just giving their thoughts on the CA issues they have encountered.

But NO one is trying to offend you or your methods---we've all ruined a pen or two. Personally, I believe Andy's 55 gallon drum of rejects merely is strong evidence that he does not turn often enough to generate MORE "practice pieces". We all learn from others' mishaps.

Polarys425

After reading his play by play on finishing method, i have but one thing to bring to light that looks to be overlooked.

What brand of THIN CA is used on the first coat? Could the clouding be a reaction from the thin CA and the accelerator and not from the medium?

BKelley

We never know what chemicals a piece of wood has been subjected to. The tree may have had some sort of chemical used on it, after it was cut somthing may have spilled on the lumber, during shipping from point of orgin anything could have contaminated the wood. Could this perhaps be the problem?

jimofsanston

I had the same problem with Cocobolo as you did, but I was using Woodcrafts CA and aerosol accelerator. I ended up putting it in the microwave and drying it till I did not get any more moisture out of it. It worked with no clouding or ghosting. You may want to try that.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Well after 86 posts I've determined the true problem. You weren't wearing your yellow socks and doing the Magic CA Vodoo War chant.

ctubbs

I was waiting for that response. Terribly surprised it took this long. I almost used it way back but the thread was going so strong that even I resisted. Thanks for bringing us back to Earth.
Charles

PAPenman

I'll try and express this again..."The lower barrel of the pen finished fine and looked like glass when finished, but I ran out of the PSI accelerator I originaly use. I started to finish the pen cap and used the E-Z bond accelerator with the SAME E-Z bond Medium CA glue used for the barrel and the problem occured. I did everything the same as 50 pens before it and the only thing that changed was the product line of accelerator." As noted before, Ed, Monty and I are working to figure this out. I've turned a couple pens from the same batch of Cocobolo and never had an issue so I can't see this being the issue not to mention that the lower barrel glassed fine. For the most part I think this has been covered in the posts here and that is why it has become such a head scratcher.

:confused:
Were both blanks on the same mandrel while finishing? Possibly over spray contamination?

Polarys425

I'll try and express this again..."The lower barrel of the pen finished fine and looked like glass when finished, but I ran out of the PSI accelerator I originaly use. I started to finish the pen cap and used the E-Z bond accelerator with the SAME E-Z bond Medium CA glue used for the barrel and the problem occured. I did everything the same as 50 pens before it and the only thing that changed was the product line of accelerator." As noted before, Ed, Monty and I are working to figure this out. I've turned a couple pens from the same batch of Cocobolo and never had an issue so I can't see this being the issue not to mention that the lower barrel glassed fine. For the most part I think this has been covered in the posts here and that is why it has become such a head scratcher.

:confused:
Were both blanks on the same mandrel while finishing? Possibly over spray contamination?

Hes already stated that it was sanded back down to bare wood, and it did the same thing again. If it were overspray contamination, that would have been eliminated when he snaded and refinished.

At this point i believe they are looking into whether the initial coat of thin CA applied before the medium is somehow reacting when the first coat of medium and accelerator are applied.

tbroye

I have use the Ezbond CA thick, thin, med and the EzBond pump accelerator and even after using a spray accelerator from Woodcraft and have never had a problem. It will be interesting to hear what issue was. Could it be the wood?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I followed Tim's steps and the CA did not cloud up.
I went back over the blank again and literally flooded it with medium CA followed by 5-7 sprays of accelerator and the CA turned hard almost instantly, no clouding.
I did try one other thing. I places a puddle of medium CA on a piece of plastic and sprayed it with accelerator. The CA hardened over and shrank slightly causing the liquid CA underneath to squeeze out. This took a little longer to harden but did not turn cloudy.
At this point, I'm at a loss as to what caused your problem. The only thing I've encountered in the past that caused CA to dry cloudy is moisture.

Top Bottom