Craft foam applicator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

I have graduated from paper towels to craft foam when applying CA. Sometimes the foam works, other times it is rippled or there are blobs of CA. What is the best method of applying CA with the foam? A quick glide? Heavy, light passes? I generally use thin CA because the medium I find even harder to apply consistently.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leestoresund

Just wondering why you think that this is a graduation.

Is that some Aussie term for "A new way to screw things up"?

Just funnin with you.

PTsideshow

If you are using pieces of foam from different sources, in stead of from the same piece. I would say that it is the formula that the foam is made from. As I have found not all foam craft sheets aren't created equal.

Here in the states, even the same brand product can vary from purchase to purchase. Since most of it is imported and they will buy from the cheapest manufacturer, the quality can vary widely.

As with paper towels the make up of the slurry that is used to make the paper. The amount of wood pulp, post consumer recycled material, and cotton, and cotton rags used will effect the usability of the paper towel.

You may want to try poly fiber fill material, the pillow stuffing. You make a little tuft and then use painters tape or the like to make a handle for your fingers to hold, when applying the CA.

I haven't used the CA as a finish much so my experiences with it are limited.
:clown:

Sawdust46

I started using the foam and I like it much better than the paper towels. I have found I need to use much less ca than I did with paper towels. With the towels, most of the ca is absorbed but with the foam very little stays on the foam and is applied to the wood. You might try a very small drop for each application.

SteveG

I will echo what is said about using less...MUCH LESS...CA when applying with foam. Since the paper towel method absorbs as much as 80% of the CA, you have to start by thinking that you are going to use only about 20% the amount of CA you were using before with paper towels. That is a major cut back. Try it with that in mind, and you will soon find the "right" amount to apply and get better results.

Tiger

Thanks guys, I have made the mental adjustment to use less CA but am still unable to get the nice smooth finish that requires no sanding as I've heard others have achieved but do you find it works better at low/high speed?

SteveG

Low speed is best, as slow as you can go. Once you get it working, try different speeds in the very low range. At higher speeds the CA tends to drift toward the high point and sort of pile up there. You are seeking a uniform thickness for best results.

Tiger

Thanks Steve, I've been running the lathe at a low speed but thought that it might have contribute to ridges and bumps that were occurring. I wondered if running the lathe a little faster would enable the CA to go on smoother ie less chance of it collecting.

SteveG

Tiger, try this: Select a speed in the low range and the try to apply as little CA as you possibly can using the foam as applicator. This may take you too far in that direction, but try it. Then work up to a little more per attempt. This may get you in the zone. This, like many things, takes some experimenting to get it right. Also, any time there is a problem with getting a good CA finish, the glue itself is always suspect. Fresh is best. Hope you get it working for you!

Tiger

Will give it a go, thanks Steve. I've found that a drop or two onto the craft foam gives the smoothest result but it will take quite a few applications to get a nice coating, on the flip side when I try and use a puddle of CA, more goes on but it's a little bumpy and then there's more sanding so you've gained nothing.

Top Bottom