Crack'n a perfect blank - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vic View Post
Here's what I use. UHMW cones. Cut a block, drill 1/4" hole, mount on the mandrel and turn into a cone. CA will chip right off as it doesn't penetrate or just soak in some acetone.

When you remove the pen section you will have some excess at the cone but they'll pop right out. I use a sandinig disk on a dremal to trim up. I use the same setup for buffing. The coned shape lets you get to the ends. I find a bags of assorted pieces at my local Woodcraft.
Thanks for the replies so quick, what is UHMW?
barrysj is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomJ View Post
I use Johnny's conical delrins, love them
I use Johnny's conical bushings as well. I keep them set up on an extra lathe.
They are not expensive and will solve the problem.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vic View Post
Here's what I use. UHMW cones. Cut a block, drill 1/4" hole, mount on the mandrel and turn into a cone. CA will chip right off as it doesn't penetrate or just soak in some acetone.

When you remove the pen section you will have some excess at the cone but they'll pop right out. I use a sandinig disk on a dremal to trim up. I use the same setup for buffing. The coned shape lets you get to the ends. I find a bags of assorted pieces at my local Woodcraft.
Thanks for the replies so quick, what is UHMW?
UHMW = Ultra High Molecular Weight- very dense, slippery material similar to Delrin.
lwalden is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I use my steel bushings to finish but before I remove the bushings I use an exacto knife and score the ca finish just off to the side of the finished piece. THen when i remove the piece and the bushing is stuck to it just a little gentle pressure and it pops off leaving just a little extra CA which is easily removed with some fine sandpaper
jlmort1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 141

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter-27 View Post
Don't use the bushings for applying the finish, just put the barrel between centers with just enough pressure and finish as you usually would.
How do you sand off the "rounded" edges that get left by going bushingless? I've tried with my disk sander ( used for squaring the blanks), but it can cause cracks on the edge of the blank due to the high grit count and force.
I apply CA between centers without bushings also. I clean up the edges using a barrel trimmer. I don't use a drill...I do it by hand. Mount the finished blank on the trimmer (with the appropreate sleeve of course), press it lightly against the trimmer as you rotate it. I do this with increasing force as the edge of the blank gets cleaned up. You can feel the rotation getting smoother, and you'll know when it's done. If your trimmer is sharp, the CA wont crack, it will be sliced off leaving a clean edge. I have not ruined a single blank using this method. Takes about 30 seconds to clean both ends of a blank.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter-27 View Post
Don't use the bushings for applying the finish, just put the barrel between centers with just enough pressure and finish as you usually would.
How do you sand off the "rounded" edges that get left by going bushingless? I've tried with my disk sander ( used for squaring the blanks), but it can cause cracks on the edge of the blank due to the high grit count and force.
Hi barrysj,

You could look here for the answer to your question...!

Disclaimer: I have no financial game or any other reward of any kind from suggestion this site...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2010, 05:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

+1 on Johnny CNC's conical Delrin bushings and between centers finiishing. Never had CA issues since.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great info. I think I'm going to go with the eliminator bushings from Johnny and make a pen sanding mill to trim it up (but I will try the barrel trimmer idea, sounds interesting)

thanks

Dude
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I made a small skew by forging a huge galvanized nail into the shape I wanted and tempered it, then sharpened it. I use it to cut through the CA at the bushing/barrel joint, and then break everything loose before I Micromesh. I also clean off the bushings if they're bad to avoid the jagged edges beating up the MM pads.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ok,

I turn between centers and couldn't find a conical bushing for TBC on Johnny's site. It looks like there is only the eliminators that you put on the 7mm mandrel. Do they have conical bushings for TBC? I'd rather not have to change my chucks out....
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads