CA finish with temporary tattoo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wright_714

I am thinking of applying a small temporary tattoo to a blank before I put on the CA finish. Has anyone ever done this and would the CA affect the tattoo or ruin it? Any advice would be appreciated...

JW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I haven't tried it, but if you don't get any experienced responses, I suggest applying one to a dowel or other scrap blank & see how it holds up to a CA finish before trying it on a good blank.

JohnU

I would suggest a couple light coats of a spray sealer first (I use "Preserve it" from the sketch isle at Hobby Lobby) and let that dry at least a day before the CA. I've used some iron on images in the past that CA wiped right off. Also, I have better luck if I just use Medium CA and skip the thin, but that's just my results.

campzeke

Please let us know what you come up with. I thought about this a few weeks ago and have a few tattoos laying on my bench but have not got around to trying it yet. Thanks.

wouldentu2?

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...feedsource=3&gclid=CODcq_GTwNICFVG5wAodHUwDPg
I have done this type with and have had no problems.
Multiple coats of CA on blank and then MM to a shine and then you apply the Tattoo and apply a couple of quick wipes of CA and finish with CA and MM to 12000. The CA polished under the decal hides the edges.

This does increase the diameter of the blank because the Tattoo is 3 to 4 thousandths thick and you have to apply enough CA to cover the edges so you won't feel the Tattoo.

Dry rub Tattoos are much thinner and are covered with much less CA.

The tattoos you wet and put on are also thin but do not have the sharp details of the first above.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2ad.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2ad.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Top Bottom