Advice - Buffing Wheels & Compounds for Wood and Plastic Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FordTrax

Okay. I bought a old Dunlap Grinding Mandrel (missing the tool rests) off of a guy from CL. I am going run it off a 1/2 hp old electric motor with a v drive belt. I was thinking of turning the Mandrel around - so the old tool rest brackets would be to the rear to give me more work room.

Here is my question:

I how it is set up for 8" wheels 10" may work - is there any advantage to go to a 10" wheel over an 8" for buffing pens?

The arbor is very long on both sides so I could place two 1/2" wide buffing wheels side by side to give me a wider buffing surface. Has anybody done that? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing that?

I was thinking about order from Caswell - the 1/2" wide Canton Flannel Wheels is that the best choice for buffing plastic and wood pens? They also have Domet and Denim - but I thought maybe those would be to soft and to hard for my pens?

For the Buffing Compounds - Are Plastic P-112 and Plastic Glow P-22 the right selections for buffing plastic and wood pens? If there are better choices please advise.

Are there any other vendors that offer better or cheaper product?

Thanks

Top Bottom