Simple solution to decent photograph - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Pen Photography
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Pen Photography Discuss the techniques and equipment for perfect pen pictures.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
Many custom fishing rod builders take photos outside. Even with clouds, a camera can be set to take good photos.
Gun guys do the same... If you're taking a picture of an occasional rifle or handgun to sell you're not setting out to build a box to take photos in. Easiest way to get a good photo is to step outside in indirect natural light and use something natural as the background. Wood piles, decking, etc all make good backgrounds.
mckenziedrums is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBPenmaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
I have a toddler and an infant... Getting up early is nearly guaranteed.

I'm not advocating this as a perfect method, just one that can be used. Cloudy days are actually great but rain or really really cold days will bring you back inside in a hurry

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
You might want to take a quick look at the simple setup in the "Collaboration with my hubby" thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DJBPenmaker is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 41

Thank you, Peter !!! .... for posting pics of your "light box" and some AWESOME pens !!!!!

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Reviewing the latest posts and recalled some photo tents in www.rodbuildingforum.com that might be of interest. Some are simple to make.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Thanks for posting a great picture. It is one thing to post a picture of a pen one is proud of, but it is another thing to post a picture that is clear and draws one in to see the object of the photo.

Too many times, photos are unclear or the background is too noisy or too red or the pens blend in with the background and it is hard to see.

I can handle one color background as long as they support the main point or give attention to the main point/pen.

Thanks for bringing this subject up! Well done.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Was playing today with a different background... Couple of people said the grey was just too cold/stark. Went outside with a nice piece of spalted maple and shot these two pictures. Absolutely 0 white balance adjustment post processing. Little tweaking for definition and touching up the exposure but that's it.

Again, I'm not saying this is the perfect solution but you CAN get good photos with natural light and a decent camera on a tripod.
Attached Thumbnails
koafountainjrgent-2.jpg   koafountainjrgent-5.jpg  
Old 08-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Holy cow what knock-out pens you posted (both)! :)
As a hobby photographer, I love artistic shots and the close-up bokeh shot of the fountain pen nib is just wonderful! :) (good to have another picture which shows the wood better too, though) :)

Last edited by sfhipchick; 08-02-2017 at 04:32 PM.
sfhipchick is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks! I love working with Koa and that piece was really nice. Nice thing about digital photography is even a putz like me can get decent photos after reading a few online tutorials and buying a half decent lens.

One thing to think about: We spend a lot of money on our lathes, bandsaws, turning tools, etc. If you're going to sell pens, your camera is every bit as important of tool and shouldn't be neglected. I picked this refurb T6i out at Christmas for the wife and thankfully she lets me borrow it when she's not taking 98798375235 photos of our kids. (They admittedly are pretty darn cute)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

I use basically the same setup, late afternoons I lower the pickup tailgate, throw a cloth or my one of backdrops on the tailgate. It is in the shade, I set the camera on macro with no flash on the tripod and shoot away.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Koa is lovely wood...I have yet to get my hands on HAWAIIAN Koa, but I have many board feet of Acacia, which is a type of Koa. That was a surprise to me, but it's certainly pretty wood! :)

As for the photography end of things, you have is 100% right. What's the point of turning an out-of-this-world pen when you are merely taking a snapshot of it? Every pen is a work of art. They should be photographed as such. Time should be taken to insure that each pen is presented in a way that exhibits their best qualities. Taking pictures outdoors is certainly an option but I am of the school of thought that consistency is important, so a dedicated pen studio is what I prefer. Takes time to get it initially built but then it's always ready! :)
sfhipchick is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads