Kicking off this forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

The incondescent setting may also be called a white balance. as for any of the settings actually being labled incondescent the maker of your camera may simply call it indoor or something simular.
you may try using the fill flash setting as well, but I am pretty sure the yellowing of your picture is from the artaficial light.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melchioe

Unfortunately, the DC215, while a nice point and shoot camera, is not especially adjustable. The only real control is the exposure compensation you mentioned. For that setting, an increase of 1.0 doubles the amount of light allowed into the camera. Increasing the setting may get rid of some of the yellow effect. Otherwise, some type of filter (either lens or over the light, as you suggest) might help.

Keep in mind that the monitor introduces color change. Try viewing the pics on different monitors too.

One other thing to keep in mind - old sheets, even perfectly clean (or even NEW) might not really be white - they might be off-white or cream, tending toward yellow. Look critically at the color of the sheets and see if that might be affecting the look.

You should be able to get a good picture with that camera - I had one a few years back, and it worked great, and our graphics artists liked it pretty well too. The nice thing about playing with light filters and such is that you can take as many pics as you like and additional pictures won't cost anything.

tipusnr

In case you get to feeling that taking these pictures just for posting to a forum is getting to be to much hassle, here are some other uses for the files.

1. I have a screen saver for my computer at work that lets me add my own collections. It now shows my woodturnings as both the wallpaper and screensaver.

2. I am adding a bulletin board to the shop wall behind my lathe. That way I can print and post pictures of past pens (that I've given away or sold) and some of your designs for inspiration (or duplication) while doing new turnings.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by melchioe
<br />Unfortunately, the DC215, while a nice point and shoot camera, is not especially adjustable. The only real control is the exposure compensation you mentioned. For that setting, an increase of 1.0 doubles the amount of light allowed into the camera. Increasing the setting may get rid of some of the yellow effect. Otherwise, some type of filter (either lens or over the light, as you suggest) might help.

I tried a few different things, with no luck so far. I have one more thing I want to try.

timdaleiden

Ok, I ran one of my yelowish pix through a different program I have, and it turnout out a bit better. I am not completely happy with it, but it is better.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200462424536_DCP013592.jpg
<br /> 30.19&nbsp;KB

tipusnr

I like the warmth of this photo. Gives a nice feel to both the woodgrain and the metal parts. I can tell you're a perfectionist and say "go for it". Still this photo does an admiral job of displaying your craftmanship.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />I like the warmth of this photo. Gives a nice feel to both the woodgrain and the metal parts. I can tell you're a perfectionist and say "go for it". Still this photo does an admiral job of displaying your craftmanship.

Thanks for the compliment. You are right, I am a perfectionist which has led to much misery. [:(] I really like the pen and stand. The stand is supposed to serve as a paper clip holder as well. The photo still lacks true color and detail in my view. It is nice to see most of the shadows go away though, and as you said it does have a warm feel.

Daniel

Tim
Those photos are really getting right in there. certainly considering the limitations of your camera. the most important thing is that you are getting a since of how your camera will record an image unf=der various conditions. Try expeerimenting with various light combinations. try setting a FLorescent lamp sothat soem whiter light is added in the mix etc. I don't think you will really get it down totoally with a camera you cannot take control over as the adjustments are automatic and it wilil usually only have one choice. but you can get closer to the conditions it can adjust near perfectly for. it's just a harder way to go about it. then there are filters. I will see what I can find that might help in that area.

melchioe

I second Daniel's idea about perhaps a flourescent light - get some "whiter" light into the mix, and it might make the colors more accurate. The DC215 simply wasn't designed with accurate color reproduction in mind, so to get more accurate colors, you have to compensate for the design limits of the camera by altering the light source or using filters.

melchioe

Light-balancing filters let you make minor adjustments in the color quality of illumination. The color balance jargon includes cooler (bluer) or warmer (yellower). The jargon also refers to color temerature, and to get accurate conversions, you must already know the color temperature of the prevailing light (using, of course, a color-temperature meter[;)]); many filter manufacturers offer detailed charts on how to convert a particular "color temperature" to another color temperature.

But don't despair, effectively, you can make a photo less yellow by guessing (I prefer the term approximating[8D]). Essentially, use a blue filter to make the photo less "warm", and a yellow filter to make the photo more "warm". The photo I saw of yours looks warm (and quite nice, BTW)

You don't need to put the filter on the lens, either - with your camera (Kodak DC215), you'd need a separate system, probably by Cokin, to attach filters to the lens, and that's not cheap. I'd try getting a 'gel' to cover the light source. These can be obtained at many professional lighting supply houses - you can try local music stores that sell lights for bands. Get a gel that is very light blue, and perhaps another that is a little darker blue (but still light), and put it in front of the light when you are taking pictures. Keep in mind that the 'gel' is designed for very high-intensity lights, and you are probably using much lower power illumination - that's why I suggest the very light blue.

You may also be able to find something around the house to tint the light. Also, an uncoated (bare glass) incandescent bulb might help too. Or one of the department stores might have a blue-tinted bulb...

This should give you a chance at reducing the 'warmth' of the pic for not too much money. And you can use the gels to give mood lighting in your house afterwards...[}:)]

Daniel

Ed,
Thanks for the color suggestions. I have not used much int he way of filters adn woudl have needed to go back to the books to remember what cancels what. and yes color the light source by using gels over the lights. If you cover the lens you have to refigure the exposure even if the filter is a light one. and if your camera cannot be taken off auto this would be a nightmare.

tipusnr

The small town theatre group I belonged to awhile back used plastic wrap in a pinch for coloring the lights.

I'll bet Saran Wrap would do the job and you could layer it over a cardboard frame until you got the effect you wanted.

Hey look!!! I just made Vice Admiral....I'm gonna call my mommy! She'll be soo proud!

timdaleiden

Originally posted by melchioe
<br />Light-balancing filters let you make minor adjustments in the color quality of illumination. The color balance jargon includes cooler (bluer) or warmer (yellower).

Thanks for your suggestions, I will give them a shot when I get a chance. Thanks to all others as well for trying to help me. [:D]

BTW, fellow Wisconsin turner, if you ever have a chance to get up here in Wausau, drop an e-mail ahead of time. I will teach you my patented techniques for CA gluing yourself to stuff. [;)] Maybe you can show me which end of the camera actually takes the picture. It sounds like you have some experience there.

melchioe

Tim, I might be able to teach you a few things about gluing myself to things with CA - my favorite so far is when I glued the CA debonder bottle to my hand. I'm hoping that is the capper to my gluing career, but I know myself and am optimisitic that I may top even that...

Haven't been to Wausau for a while, love the area though. Next time I'm pointed that direction I'll let you know. Same to you for the Milwaukee area...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom