Some more Banksia Hairy pod Resifills, experimentations...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I have been here for an hour typing away what I wanted to say on this new thread but, and almost near finishing, something I touched, wiped the whole thing out and made me furious so, after a cup of coffee, I decided to comeback but, ain't going to re-type everything again, I know that I will have lots of questions and those were what I was addressing on my long thread so, I will let the questions come in and I will deal with each one, then...!

The one thing that I will ask you is;

*- Tell me which colour you think is best..??

*- One of the 5 samples was done in a different way as the traditional/common ones, tell me which one it is and what you think of it...??

I have lots of pics from this lot, too many to put here so, I will put 1 pic of each one (full size sample) and the rest I will put on my Photobucket account, with a link here, for you to see...!

Don't get too excited but, I may be able to make a few of the coloured ones, and a few dozen of the one done in a different way (any colour)...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 674
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 577
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 410
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 517
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 370
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 418
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 463
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Did you mix wood shavings into the resin on the first three? It looks like something dark is added in.

Absolutely not,

What you see is the hairs through the resin, the Sky-Blue powder when used in high amounts, does show a lot more swirls between the lighter and darker colours, nothing else was added...!

In all samples, I used about twice as much powder as I would use normally, this was to try to address the "transparency" issue when blanks are turned close to finished sizes...!

Cheers
George

OZturner

George,
You have taken them to a whole new level, they are magnificent.
It is like asking, "Of your Children, which one do you love the most?"
I Love them All.
If I had to pick one it would be the Red, for being the most appropriate of the Australian "Outback" colour.
I can see Glorious Pens hiding inside all of them.
I appreciate that to have them all is to increase your Inventory, but from a marketing aspect, you are widening your market appeal, and sales potential.
Perhaps the most pertinent question, is can your precious Banksia keep up with the demand?
Absolutely Awesome,
Congratulations.
Brian.

robutacion

George,
You have taken them to a whole new level, they are magnificent.
It is like asking, "Of your Children, which one do you love the most?"
I Love them All.
If I had to pick one it would be the Red, for being the most appropriate of the Australian "Outback" colour.
I can see Glorious Pens hiding inside all of them.
I appreciate that to have them all is to increase your Inventory, but from a marketing aspect, you are widening your market appeal, and sales potential.
Perhaps the most pertinent question, is can your precious Banksia keep up with the demand?
Absolutely Awesome,
Congratulations.
Brian.

Hi Brian,

You have hit the nail in the head mate, and on the lonnnng post that I had originally written and lost for whatever the reason, I had focussed carefully on that aspect and admitted that, this would be seen as something that is not what I intend. I couldn't possible add these option to my stock, I can consider these as possibilities and or choices for those that make a special request that, the pods that I had to use to make the clear ones for his/hers order, to be used to make a coloured option however, my molds capacity is 7 blanks, and I would prefer to use the molds capacity, every time possible so, no I'm not going to make them as part of the stock, I have enough problems as it is...!

These samples are simply to address a question that I had in my mind, would it be suitable to colour the pods with some coloured resin and, what colour(s) would prevent the transparency issue...???
I've simply used pod pieces that I had a problem with, I've basically used the pods of 4 normal blanks to make these so, it means that I've lost 4 blanks of the clear option, until now the only option, and from now, "one of the options...!"

I certainly don't want to increase the sales of any blanks that use the main body of the Banksia hairy pods, unless I find a outside supply of the pods, even then, I won't to spend all my time working with resin so, I would be a little less restrictive to its sales and could introduce the coloured ones to the inventory but, that is not the case, at the moment...!

I still have "people" that gets annoyed because they can buy as many blanks as they want, because they wanted the re-sell them, and used the demand to make their money however, not with this "puppy" so, they try all possible tricks with extra names and addresses to get quantities but I simply cancel all orders and report them on eBay.

To those that have been with me for some time, and have helped me through the years or those that haven't been in the pen making industry for that long but that, enjoy to work with my blanks, those I try to support also by keeping some in stock for them, off-course, that are the new turners that learn about these blanks and see them as a "benchmark" they want to achieve, and a challenge they take as the skills level and confidence, increases, for those, I would like to be continue to be able to have some I can supply...!

Now, there are 2 aspects of these thread that I would like to highlight, in case you missed it on the OP, the first one is that, I have a box full of this Banksia cut-off that I get from the 5% of pods that are bigger that what I need to make the normal blanks, these pieces were used for the first time, in one of the 5 samples shown, reason why I request if you could identify which one and give me your interpretation of how you think they were made.

The second aspect is that, the very reason why I only now decided to try to use the coloured, and the reason I mention about, to have a "problem with" some pod pieces that I cut a few weeks back and made the mistake of not stabilizing them immediately, I did stabilized about half of what I had cut, with the intention to get the second lot going for later but, after I got the first lot stabilized I put my attention to get them ready for casting and then finishing them, as I had orders to fill so, I endup leaving the raw pods in the cardboard box with the top closed.

However my attempt to keep the box closed to avoid any dust and stuff to get in, I didn't think much about the small "residents" I have living in the shed, and I'm talking of the little mice. These little fellows, have never touched the full pods as the seeds sell is hard as rock but, the seeds are apparently very sweet and I had made their life quite easy by, slicing the pod and exposing all the seed from the shells so, they created some feeding channels to steal the seeds and leave my pods pieces, full of holes (where the seeds were...!:mad:).

So, why is that, I saw these "tempered" pods pieces more suitable to use with the coloured resins...??? well, if the seeds were there, the coloured resin would only show at the ends and middle where the hairs are, while having these seed shell open/empty, I could use the coloured resin to create a more uniform blank, one that would be a combination of the normal Hairy and Dwarf Banksias.

The seeds give a very special characteristic to the regular clear Resifills, the resin transparency reveals every aspect of this pod, not having the seeds there, the blank wouldn't look the same, and I don't want that. With the coloured resin filling all those shell holes, there is still enough detail showing from the pod to complement the blank so, there is the combination of all these factors that made me do these samples now, rather than earlier or later...!

There is also the fact that, the seedless pods, can not be wasted just because of that and this is my interpretation of one of the best way of using them.

I'm yet to count the pieces and find out how many blanks I can make out of them, I will them cast them depending on the colours preferences you folks suggest, or a just make a mix of colours and offer them for sale...!

I'm also considering to make some of the mystery blank among the 5 blanks above, also in a combination of colours and offer them for sale at a slightly lower price (even though they take as much time to make as the normal ones however, the pod pieces are not stabilized but, they are still quite workable that way, thin CA would be your best friend, on these..!)

They could be an excellent "practice" run, in preparation to the "real thing", you succeed on them, you will be just fine with the "original" ones...!:wink::biggrin:

Well, this is only a part of what I had written originally so, things may start to make a little more sense now, huh...???:cool:

Cheers
George

wyone

well I have to say... you are doing this all wrong.. you are supposed to be 100% about the money and sell whatever quantity of product you have for whatever price you can get.

Ok that was a bit sarcastic. I think a huge part of why your product is so amazing is because it is not just about the dollar.. it is about the wood, the process, the casting, the enjoyment you know others will get out of everything you create. You are truly a rare breed in todays world. You do such amazing things, and I can FEEL how much you want everyone to enjoy them.

I wish I had time and money to really explore all the things you make, and one day I will. Until then, I will enjoy a bit here and there.

Thank you for being the person you are and creating the things you do! You are a true benefactor of the industry.

robutacion

well I have to say... you are doing this all wrong.. you are supposed to be 100% about the money and sell whatever quantity of product you have for whatever price you can get.

Ok that was a bit sarcastic. I think a huge part of why your product is so amazing is because it is not just about the dollar.. it is about the wood, the process, the casting, the enjoyment you know others will get out of everything you create. You are truly a rare breed in todays world. You do such amazing things, and I can FEEL how much you want everyone to enjoy them.

I wish I had time and money to really explore all the things you make, and one day I will. Until then, I will enjoy a bit here and there.

Thank you for being the person you are and creating the things you do! You are a true benefactor of the industry.

Well, you've got one thing right, money is not everything to me, and it never was however, there is a quite enormous differentiation in between, having no other choice and have other choices, what I mean is, sometimes in life, we are put is situations where money is the only thing that can help us, and as a result, we do things to get it that, we wouldn't do otherwise, I have been there, done that however, I fought to created my own options and while some didn't turn out exactly how I expected, I manage to find a balance between what I want and what I need, I'm happier that way...!

I appreciate your words and I only can say to you that, if you see my life interpretation "example" as something that appeals to you, there is nothing that will stop you to achieve that balance/status for yourself. You can't get it always your way but, you can always find your way, through anything...!

Don't rush, is always tomorrow...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi folks,

I have counted the pod pieces without seeds and I can make about 50 full size blanks, I used the rest of the drum of resin I had and I made/cast 15 Red Russet blanks, and I put some more powder than the test one that, already had double than I normally use but that, looked that needed more solid colour to hide the brass...!

The other mold (7 blanks) is a kind of old gold with some blue shades through it, in fact, never asked to do more of these, I used about 5 different colours from bottles that had only a little bit on them so, I mixed the whole lot, it will be interesting to see how it comes out...!

This mean that, out of the 50 coloured blanks I can made, 21 will be finished in a few days, the rest has to wait until I order and received the next resin drum and other supplies that I'm getting short of.

If you would like some of these blanks, you better put your hands up and order some, lets keep the orders at 4 blanks per person, please...!

These blanks will cost AU$12.00 each or AU$48.00 for 4. Shipping will be AU$10.00

PS: I will be making some coloured blanks with the off-cut pieces I mentioned previously, of which one sample is represented in the 5 samples shown originally, those as promised will be cheaper at AU$8.00 each, any colour...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

How would you prefer us to go about ordering them? Via IAP or your store?

Hi mate,

A good question indeed but, these will be a kind of "one of" so, I was intending to keep them for all my IAP friends so, you can either order 4 blanks between the 2 colours that I done today, the read you already saw the the other one, it may come up like the brownish one of the post #1 or maybe not, I will make a sample out of a random one of the 7 made so that you guys and myself can see out it turned out.

I would be also interested in have some expressions of interest from those that would like other colours than the 2 I made, such as the Sky-Blue, Green and possible violet. I'm happy to make the rest, when I get some more resin, all red however, if you guys want some in a particular colour, I will need to know that, before I cast the next lot. I can make a minimum of 7 blanks in any colour, even if you can only take 4 blanks, someone else will take the rest...!

So, orders for what is done and "orders/expressions of interest" for the next 30 or so blanks that I will do after I get the resin, are accepted HERE and now (the next few days, will do...!)

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

I would love to see violet and red, so regarding the PM I sent you, I can certainly wait however long you need to make the violet!

Top Bottom