Mr. Anonymous Game #17 @ 9/02/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Thanks for the education on the invisible ink George . I wasn`t aware of that trick . But I`m afraid you have the contestants terribly confused . I too would have guessed Colonial red gum . One of the pieces that I got from you several years ago had some of the white rot you mentioned . The color of the contest wood that I have certainly does not mach your picture , but I know how my local woods vary , so yours must too .

robutacion

And the winner is....???

Is better close the game now before you guys and gals, have a brain freeze or a meltdown.

The correct answer is #9B Colonial Red Gum BURL, and not #9 Colonial Red Gum as some of you thought/guessed. The question was based on the piece shown on the first picture and while on the left side doesn't show much burl on that side, if you look at the pic of the other side, shown also, you can see that is all part of the burl.

Lets clarify a few things,#9 Colonial Red Gum wood is the same species as the #6 Red Gum tree species that are at least, 100 years old since cut or processed. This wood was cut and processed by our colonial times and migrants since the 1800's, that found a large abundance of these hundreds of years old gigantic trees that, they also discover to be ideal/strong, weather resilient for building things with, and be almost Termite proof.

The 2 pieces that I have shown as an example of the Colonial Red Gum, shows a wood that is darker than the normal Red Gum wood and that, when wet/soaked with anything, transforms into a very dark brown, as seen on the ends of that smaller rectangular blank with both ends waxed.

Some pieces of the old (Colonial Red Gum)Red Gum, are extremely dark, such as were the pen blanks that I cut from a log that I found under fresh water, in an old natural water spring. The natural colouration and wood texture was something that I never saw before, it is obvious that, being cured under water so over 100 years, has changed the wood significantly and those that purchase those pen blanks from be, may remember that, they really something very special and beautiful.

I may be wrong but, I wouldn't be surprised if the Colonial Red Gum that 1080Wayne is talking about he got from me long ago, was some of those blanks.
There has been also other parts of the Colonial Red Gum logs that, have produced a slightly darker colour than the 2 blanks I shown in the beginning, an those are the Curly pieces found in some logs. I have some samples of what I'm talking about, here;

These are the under water cured wood I was talking about, these are waxed.
101_1856.jpg

These are some of the round bowl blanks I cut from that same underwater log, the wood is sprayed with water.
Colonial Red Gum Special original round blanks.JPG

These are the normal #9 Colonial Red Gum with only the ends waxed.
PIC08931.jpg

These are the #9 Colonial Red Gum Curly
058.jpg

These are the #9 Colonial Reg Gum Root
004.jpg

These are the #9 Colonial Red Gum Burl, fully waxed.
101_0133_(1).jpg

These are a group of #9 Colonial Red Gum Burl slices, that I cut not that long ago and that I have ready to list on my new web-store, for the first time ever. The blank used for this game, is the piece with the #3. All these slices show its natural/dry colours, water was sprayed on the individual pieces.
036.JPG

This is a half of a small #9 Colonial Red Gum Burl
007.jpg

And this is a big chunk of some of the best #9 Colonial Red Gum Burl, I processed so far. It shows its natural dry colour...!
001.JPG

And finally, a pic where I put the 3 main colours variations on the Red Gum, from right to left, the #6 Red Gum, #9 Colonial Red Gum and #9 Colonial Red Gum cured under water...!
101_0248_(1).jpg

OK so, we have determined that, the answer that I was looking for was the #9 Colonial Red Gum Burl, for the reasons explained in detail, if was any confusions about what was what, I certain that, everyone now know the differences possible in this wood species.:wink:

So, who did have it right...???
The first person was Kelly (Krash), he knew what it was, and kept very quite watching everyone struggle, who can blame him, really...?:biggrin:

Congratulation Kelly, you have shown once again to have done your home work and start being quite familiar with my woods, well done mate...!:wink:

Now, who else got it right...??? well, Karl_99 on post #73 did but, he is on DL so, sorry mate. The next was, glenspens on post #43 that once again, mumbled a little and forgot the "gum" but that, is obvious to see what he meant, saying " colonial red burl" could not be anything else and that is quite different than saying, Colonial Red Gum when, what I had was the burl however, it would be greatly appreciated if Mr. Glen starts to be a little more specific with his answers, he missed out on the last game #16, because of this same issue. Got it....? :)

It is important that, with the variety of blanks I can make from the same wood species that, you take your time to give me the correct names as I refer them at or, name/identify them on my reference data. When I'm looking for a specific answer, the small details can make all the difference...!

OK so, we have 1 first winner and I'm going to award a second place to
glenspens however, he will be the one to decided if he wants to be on DL for the next 4 weeks and claim the prize.

The first prize will be a 750gr. (AU$18.00) box with 12 blanks of my choice, in this case, a combination of all blanks I make out of the Australian Red Gum, new or old. The second prize will be a 500gr. ( AU10.00) parcel with 8 blanks, based on the same criteria.

Paypal for shipping to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au, thanks...!

I would be most grateful if you set up your Paypal accounts with the Postal details included and, if you don't forget to put your IAP name of the payment description, those 2 things do help me considerably, thanks...!

OK so, one more game wrapped up, thank you so much to all that participate, on DL or not :biggrin: I hope that you all have learn something about my Aussie Red Gum tree species...!

Be safe and be good...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Skeleton2014

Congratulations Kelly!!!
Glad I was on the DL for this "easy question" (George's first post).
87 posts!
Learned a lot about Colonial Red Gum, though and especially learned about writing with invisible ink. :wink: Thanks, George!!!
Jeff

wyone

That was great fun.. and since I was on the DL not like I could win anyway. :)

I would love to see a bowl turned out of that wood. I really like the red woods. For some reason to me they just seem more refined or something. Not sure what word I am looking for. I just like red woods I guess.. lol

Last edited:

robutacion

Congratulations Kelly!!!
87 posts!
Learned a lot about Colonial Red Gum, though and especially learned about writing with invisible ink. :wink: Thanks, George!!!
Jeff

Well, I thought it was going to be an easy question, I have spoke and shown many blanks made with this wood including the burl, I didn't expect people to get so stuck...!:biggrin:

Even for those that are on DL, there was lots of good information to be learnt, I didn't expect to have to go through so much details and pics but, with the confusions I saw happening through this game, I thought opportune to spend the extra time and clarify the issue...!

I'm glad you folks did enjoy the ride...!

Cheers
George

glenspens

Thanks George .. you know my head said GUM now if i could just get my fat fingers to do what my head says to do :eek: .... most of the time i look at IAP i am on the clock :redface: (i need to keep the old eye out for the boss so sometime i need to cut and run ) I know ,I know ,bad bad bad boy :wink: . George any time i get to have some of your blanks i will take them so i will send the pay pal your way ......as soon as the boss goes to the am meeting. You know what they say..... a blank in the hand is better that a bunch in the tree.

Thanks to Mr.A and George for the time you put in to let us have fun.

got to run boss on the way :cool:

Last edited:

robutacion

That was great fun.. and since I was on the DL not like I could win anyway. :)

I would love to see a bowl turned out of that wood. I really like the red woods. For some reason to me they just seem more refined or something. Not sure what word I am looking for. I just like red woods I guess.. lol

So, why don't you turn the bowl, yourself...???

See this lot...???

013.jpgzz3.jpg

That is a colonial Red Gum tree butt/root, that is the last gigantic Red Gum tree cut from this area that, was full of them in 1800's and 1900's but they were all cut down is this one was the very last one standing that was cut about 1920's and the root left untouched until 9 years ago, when I moved in and saw it in a small lot, now all subdivided as the Industrial area of this town.

This lot didn't sell because it had this monster in it, no one wanted to have to pay for its removal and disposal before anything could be built on it, there are still lost of vacant lots, bigger and better than this one so, it was simply ignore.

It took me over 6 years to finally get permission to remove and take it away, I done most of the work to get it off the ground, cut it into pieces to be taken away, there was some machinery work that cost me a bundle and never did work because the sand is so soft that anything that went in to try pulling it out, got bogged to the point that, other machinery had to be called in to unstuck is, all paid by the hour, and who do you think that got the bill, yes, this silly bastard...!:frown::redface: So much for free wood...!

Anyway, if you are willing to pay for the shipping to get a bowl blanks for you to turn, you just tell me what size bowl you want and, will be my pleasure to offer you a piece of this red wood, you have been a great friend and very supportive of anything I do, I appreciate that more than you may realize...!

Just remember, this wood is heavy, if you don't want to spend too much in freight, I would consider a small 6" diameter x 4" thick bowl however, I will cut is as big as you wish...!

Let me know...!

Cheers
George

Krash

Congratulations Kelly!!!
87 posts!
Jeff

Well, I thought it was going to be an easy question, I have spoke and shown many blanks made with this wood including the burl, I didn't expect people to get so stuck...!:biggrin:

Even for those that are on DL, there was lots of good information to be learnt, I didn't expect to have to go through so much details and pics but, with the confusions I saw happening through this game, I thought opportune to spend the extra time and clarify the issue...!

I'm glad you folks did enjoy the ride...!

Cheers
George

Well, all I can say is ... WOW! :eek:

I honestly thought I was in the penalty box but just wanted to support George's and Mr. A's game. Anyway, it's always fun to try to figure out what George is up to. :rolleyes:
I was late to the game and really thought that southernclay had it correct. But George always says to put your guess in anyway in case he magnanimously decides to award a second prize. I added "burl" to the end since the sample was obviously a burl and I don't think George penalizes for extra information, as long as it is correct. But, all this was done thinking I was in the doghouse so it was just for fun (and to be right! I love being right :wink:).

So, all I can still say is ... WOW! :biggrin:

Thanks sooo much George and Mr. A for the weekly contests and fun. I guess I will slink off to the doghouse again .... and I was just getting used to the sunlight and freedom! :)

Krash

Well, is almost time to wrap this one but before I do, let me show you, the other side of the piece/board I have on the opening post as the question pic,
View attachment 129004
it may give you a better view to what it is, probably too easy of a guess, if I had used it instead so, now you should be able to recognise it, huh...???:biggrin:

There is something else, that you folks have been missing and that is in regards to that Note I made on the opening post about the invisible ink, no one had mentioned anything about it or even ask what it was, some of you I know that are not new to this trick so, I may have been giving clues along the way with the invisible ink but no one looked for them, shame really...!:eek::wink: some call them, trees tities...!

So, have I got your attention now...???

Cheers
George

Ya know, I was looking for the invisible clues but only saw one in your post #1 and this one, #66. I thought that was unusual so I started looking in others' posts just in case you had that power to insert hidden text in someone else's post. Didn't find it there either. :rolleyes:

Where are they????

Confused in NM. :confused:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Ya know, I was looking for the invisible clues but only saw one in your post #1 and this one, #66. I thought that was unusual so I started looking in others' posts just in case you had that power to insert hidden text in someone else's post. Didn't find it there either. :rolleyes:

Where are they????

Those were the only ones I could find too - I didn't say anything because I knew that I was in the penalty box, but the first one didn't really help anyway & the second one was after George explained the invisible ink trick.

Skeleton2014

Where are they????

Those were the only ones I could find too - I didn't say anything because I knew that I was in the penalty box, but the first one didn't really help anyway & the second one was after George explained the invisible ink trick.

Yes!, I was going to ask George to explain the invisible ink clues and how they relate to the final answer???
Jeff

Krash

Me too!
I think George is just trying to mess with us and to set up the invisible ink trick for future contests. That will add a new dimension to the contests, especially if you have to assemble information from clues that send you to different areas like a certain page on his website or a specific post from the past.
:wink:

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have no idea about the first invisible ink message, but the second one was easy
tree booby = burl

Skeleton2014

I have no idea about the first invisible ink message, but the second one was easy
tree booby = burl

Thanks Edgar, that makes sense now. When I did a Google search, putting "Australian" in front of this hidden clue, the first thing that came up was a PDF on common forest trees of Hawaii, in particular it mentioned the Australian Silky-Oak that had been planted for shade in parts of the islands. So, that's why I guessed this in post 75. In post 51 George responded to your comment about Tasmanian blue gum and gave a hint that the answer is "very Aussie" to which I guessed #18 from the timber list, Golden Wattle, Australia's national tree (after another Google search). All this goes to show how much "extra" meaning I put into George's clues and some of the wild tangents they lead me down with these puzzles. The few games I've won have been on your (as in Aussie Fig)or Kelly's coatail, and I thank you both for that! And I thought these games would get easier! Back on the DL for another 16 days. :wink:
Jeff

robutacion

Very interesting comments about my ways to run these games and the new invisible ink trick.

When I first introduced or mentioned the possibility that "I may" use the invisible trick to give some clues, I wasn't expecting such a thorough search in all the posts, mine and of others for some hidden clues.

Firstly, I wanted people to know what this trick was about and how anyone can do it, and secondly, I wanted to make sure you folks would know that, "I may" insert some clues that you can't see and that you will miss of you don't check.

This is intended to add a little extra fun and mystery to the clues themselves but, my initial intention by mention it, was to make you all aware of what I had in mind, after all it would be useless to put those invisible clues if no one know how to find them or even know that I may put them in the text, there is, if I do so (put invisible clues), I will do so, only on my own posts and never on someone else's, capish...???:wink::biggrin:

So, where are the invisible clues on game #17...???

This is the funny part, there was no other invisible clue on this game , appart from the one on post #66. Remember that I just said that, I needed to make sure, most of you would know how to look for these invisible clues before I would add a few per game, the test was on post #66 to give an idea of you it looks like and how to make it visible.

I hope that I explained/answered your questions...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

wyone

George

I definitely need to turn a bowl with that, but wondering if my skill level is sufficient at this point. I have turned a few bowls, and mostly have been successful, but this would be something that would have extra meaning. I really want to though. :) Maybe I should start with a small blank and see how I do. I know a guy who always has wood, or great suggestions for new turners. too bad he lives in a different continent!

I have learned so much! I really wish I had the means to shake your hand in person. You have been instrumental in my learning more about the woods and how to deal with the differences in them and identify them. I cannot express my appreciation sufficiently.

:) :)

Last edited:

Krash

Huuummm .... and if we use invisible ink? :wink: #98

Very interesting comments about my ways to run these games and the new invisible ink trick.

When I first introduced or mentioned the possibility that "I may" use the invisible trick to give some clues, I wasn't expecting such a thorough search in all the posts, mine and of others for some hidden clues.

Firstly, I wanted people to know what this trick was about and how anyone can do it, and secondly, I wanted to make sure you folks would know that, "I may" insert some clues that you can't see and that you will miss of you don't check.

This is intended to add a little extra fun and mystery to the clues themselves but, my initial intention by mention it, was to make you all aware of what I had in mind, after all it would be useless to put those invisible clues if no one know how to find them or even know that I may put them in the text, there is, if I do so (put invisible clues), I will do so, only on my own posts and never on someone else's, capish...???:wink::biggrin:

So, where are the invisible clues on game #17...???

This is the funny part, there was no other invisible clue on this game , appart from the one on post #66. Remember that I just said that, I needed to make sure, most of you would know how to look for these invisible clues before I would add a few per game, the test was on post #66 to give an idea of you it looks like and how to make it visible.

I hope that I explained/answered your questions...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

George

I definitely need to turn a bowl with that, but wondering if my skill level is sufficient at this point. I have turned a few bowls, and mostly have been successful, but this would be something that would have extra meaning. I really want to though. :) Maybe I should start with a small blank and see how I do. I know a guy who always has wood, or great suggestions for new turners. too bad he lives in a different continent!

I have learned so much! I really wish I had the means to shake your hand in person. You have been instrumental in my learning more about the woods and how to deal with the differences in them and identify them. I cannot express my appreciation sufficiently.

:) :)

Hi Mitch

I appreciate your thoughts and comments...!

You know, is not uncommon that, when we embark on a new venture, we tend to be overwhelmed with the help that some people are willing to give us and more often than not, we tend to look for a "mentor" to follow, and normally that person becomes the person that you connect the most for a number of possible reasons.

Its a privilege to know that someone sees you as a mentor and someone to learn from, fortunately for me, I have been in that position many times and it never stops to amaze me, how rewarding it feels...!

It is most interesting that, different people see what I do and am, in such different and opposite ways, some love it and some hate it and everything in between, and that is just a reality...!

OK so, I will be cutting a small(ish) bowl blank and weight it, when I do, I will let you know how much the shipping is...!

Is nothing worse than approach a piece of wood on the lathe, with fear and lack of confidence, particularly when the piece of wood is something that can be easy replaced so, don't worry, I'm sure you will do OK...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Huuummm .... and if we use invisible ink? :wink: #98

Well, that would be a very bad idea I will not consider what I don't see in normal ways, the trick may have some merit, played by the games' organizer/creator, for the purpose of making some of the clues a little more interesting, well that is the idea..!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

wyone

George.. I really appreciate everything you have done and you are right.. I learn from doing, so I need to just take the plunge. Some of my best learning experiences have been from my mistakes, so the worst that can happen is I learn something. But you know.. I am not going to mess it up.. I am going to make something really awesome!

Thank you so much!

Karl_99

I received my blanks, from Game #16, today...great looking variety!
Thank you very much George and Mr. Anonymous

Last edited:

robutacion

George is there any thing i need to know before i turn the water soaked balnk......

Hi Glen,

Thanks for letting me know of the parcel arrival...!

Did I wrote on the blank "water soaked"...??? hahahah, I meant, water cured...!:wink::biggrin:

There is nothing that you have to be worried about, appart from the fact that, it may not be wide enough for a big pen, appart from that, the wood works like a dream, I only wish I had plenty of it..!

You should get results like like those samples I shown when I put an add here a few years ago http://www.penturners.org/forum/f165/old-colonial-red-gum-cured-under-water-89145/

The blank that has the ends slightly rounded, is from the round bowl blanks shown in that thread/add...!

I left each blank as they come out of the slices cut from those round blanks, only a few of the blanks, had an end cut as it was unusable, the ends validate my claim that they have come from a "round blank" and the round blanks are been also shown...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Colonial Red Gum Special original round blanks.JPG
    Colonial Red Gum Special original round blanks.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 143

robutacion

I always enjoy reading your tales of acquiring the wood. :)

Thanks Mitch,

I may not be the best story teller but 2 things make the different than most, first is the way I use the English language as my second language, there is a very personal sentences and words construction, most in an attempt to translate what in my head means in Portuguese, and then turn it back to front...!

Being already 30 years old when I arrived here, the Portuguese language was already very deeply imprinted in my brain, making not so easy task to adapt to the Aussie English, that is by far, what one would learn at school. To add to the difficulty, I lived the first almost 5 years in the centre Queensland, in remote Outback town where the slang was thick and fast, that didn't help much but, I always managed and I will continued to do so, particularly since I started using Internet when I was about 40 years old.

The other reason why my wood stories are "different" is because, I live every moment as if was my last, each "job" was a challenge to me and willingness to get the "bacon" home, regardless of what it took.

Was it necessary..??? probably not, would I do anything differently, NO...!:)

It makes a big difference to me (and many others), to use wood that has a story, any sort of story, something that one can relate to, when that wood/blank is mentioned...!

I have used many cubic meters of wood in my younger days that, I didn't know a damn thing about it, most times not even the place it came from, they were called "exoctics" and that was good enough...! When I tried to find more about wood that I used, that got me in "hot waters" a few times, as the wood was cut and imported illegally into the country so, getting nosy and asking too many questions, have stirred some people that I would have preferred not to, ces la vie...!:)

So, I hope that you can ready many of my stories, many of which were written in some previous forums that I was banned from, some of which have destroyed every piece of evidence that I was ever there, that work was lost forever...!

IAP has been my home since July 2009, every single "event" the wife and I have been through related to the wood and making blanks (and other stuff), has been shared here, and I treasure what I've got here from all these years, knowing that, the information will always be available to anyone that is interested.

I'm a talker, and that is also translated into my writing, short post from me, are a rare thing...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom