USPS---yeah, so......AMAZING conclusion!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Kind of a chance to vent and kind of a warning to all who use the mail!!

Customer has a box that left Wisconsin right on schedule, on Dec 1. Supposed to arrive Dec 3. No tracking information since the first, so I volunteered to call the USPS and inquire (silly me!!)

The first time I called, the answering device informed me the wait was between one and one and a half hours. I hung up. The second time, 7 PM our time, I was informed it was 30 to 40 minutes. So, I waited. Exactly one hour and 24 minutes later (84 minutes), the lady answered with an accent that leads me to believe she was in India. Started the conversation by informing me there was no "Guaranteed" delivery by the 3rd. I said quietly, "I have waited nearly an hour and a half to talk with you, let's talk, ok?" I know the procedure, so I told her I wanted to open an inquiry, to which she replied it was really early to do that, it should be two weeks. After I reminded her we ship several hundred packages a month and I know the procedures, she agreed to open an inquiry.

A few more questions, and now I wait. Within the next three days, I should hear from my local postmaster, telling me what the status of the package is.

That does NOT help the customer, who wants to make a nice pen for a present. We will handle that, separately.

All I wish to convey is-----the Postal Service is swamped!!! Spending 90 minutes on the phone to accomplish NOTHING is stupid!! So, if you see your package is delayed, work on a plan B, quickly!!

The package will probably be found and delivered---but who knows when!!

Ho, Ho, Ho!!!
Ed

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, heard from the customer this morning! Much to my amazement, he called to say his package ARRIVED today!!

Suddenly the tracking showed it in Jacksonville, then on to his location, farther south.

Don't know if my call had any bearing on this, but I was truly astonished!!

Seems only fair to say so!!

Congrats USPS!!!

LanceD

I recently had a fountain pen sent to me. First Class Mail. No tracking updates for 13 days. The 14th day it arrived and I checked the tracking and it was still showing that the package was received at the post office. Never once was the tracking updated. I tried calling the PO in Ohio where it was stranded at but never even had someone pick up the phone. Once I even counted the rinks at 125 rings before giving up.

workinforwood

The flat rate is machinable so in December it goes to your P2 location which is a December only rented facility. It doesn't get scanned in as fast if at all because most the employees are temps. Then when it reaches that state it's going to go to the NDC2 temporary inbound facility and be fumbled by a bunch of temps. There's definitely more mail this month, but not as much more mail as you might think. The real key to the equation is that usps is a government operation, 200 yrs of service won't let progress get in the way of doing business. i love the oxymoron of government vs private business. It says right on the box, 2-3 days priority, and you pay extra for that speed, and they won't be held accountable, any judge would throw it out of court. But if exotic blanks wrote on it 2-3 days then you would be held in court liable for it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks, Jeff!!

That is good to know, since we have several pieces in transit that don't show tracking. We know we took them to the Post Office, but we always worry about the package making it from Racine to Milwaukee!! Now we are seeing SOME that left Milwaukee (scanned) but are not scanned after that.

We had a number of "special projects" this year, I am happy to say they all went on schedule and our commitments were met, on time. So far, it has been a GREAT year!!

THANKS to all of you who have made us grow!!!

stonepecker

Dawn does such a great job. I am happy to see that you (Ed) are following in her footsteps and continuing her fine work.
She is very hard to keep up with but we see that you are trying.

Keep smiling.

Bean_Counter

Happened to me also Ed. The last package I ordered from ya took over a week to get. The tracking never updated from being scanned in Denver. It seems one of every 20 or so packages that get shipped in a frb to me gets hung up somewhere and takes a bit longer. That's why I didn't fret over it.

philipff

That''s OK, since my new laptop disappeared in the Texas hillcountry instead of my doorstep in Williamsburg, VA!!!!!! Nice going, FEDEX!!

csr67

Glad to hear it's not just me. I shipped an 8 pen order to a client last Saturday, 3 day priority. Told him it'd be there on 12/7. Well it's 12/10 and tracking has not been updated since the box left a sort facility in MA on 12/7, simply says "expected delivery 12/9...." ugh!!!!!

But on the bright side, I ordered a box of goodies from Ed on Monday, and it arrived as planned all the way to sunny CA yesterday afternoon!

CREID

Glad to hear it's not just me. I shipped an 8 pen order to a client last Saturday, 3 day priority. Told him it'd be there on 12/7. Well it's 12/10 and tracking has not been updated since the box left a sort facility in MA on 12/7, simply says "expected delivery 12/9...." ugh!!!!!

But on the bright side, I ordered a box of goodies from Ed on Monday, and it arrived as planned all the way to sunny CA yesterday afternoon!

Did you get Tootsie Rolls too.?:biggrin:

Curt

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One little bit of marketing knowledge that may help you all: NEVER PROMISE anything that you don't control!!!!

People often ask me to PROMISE a delivery date. I am very clear that I can promise a date I will put it in the mail (I know I have all the product IN MY HANDS), but I have NO control over the USPostal Service!!!!!!!!

If you pay MUCH more, you can get it delivered by UPS or FedEx, which gives you a HIGHER degree of certainty that it will arrive---but I still do NOT PROMISE---I don't control THEM, either!!

Personal credibility is extremely important to me---so I only PROMISE what I know I can deliver. I don't DELIVER the mail!!!

FWIW,
Ed

thrustmonkey

I've got the same thing going on. I have 2 packages that I shipped and the tracking hasn't been updated. One has been stuck in Chicago for 4 days and the other has been sitting in the PO since I brought it there 2 days ago.

I get upset because my customers are waiting for their pens to give for Christmas presents, and I don't want them disappointed if they don't arrive on time.

It's important to me that the person receiving the pen gets it on time so they can give it to the recipient and see how happy they are with it, and with them.

Just think, something that you created is making 2 people very happy. That's important, and it kinda makes me feel good too.

Ross

BTW, since it's not PC to say "Merry Christmas", I would like to say Merry Christmas to everyone!

hilltopper46

The package I mailed didn't show any updates since it left the East Troy PO (which is funny, because even though I have an ET address, the mail truck runs out of Mukwonago), until this morning when it showed up at Sioux Falls, SD. Usually, the tracking shows a stop in Milwaukee.

Maybe the scanner in MKE is broken :).

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I ordered a new feed belt for my drum sander. USPS shows it left RALEIGH, NC on Dec 10, arrived on Chicago on Dec 13 where it's been since.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I recently got a Priority Mail FRB 2 day mailed Dec 3 and arrived Dec 13 - I'm like Ed here. I can promise when it will get in USPS hands but nothing more so I will never promise a specific date. I often tell people that if USPS does their job right you will have it when you want it but I can't promise they will do their job.

brownsfn2

I sent a guy in Germany a Priority Mail International package. The German post reported it back as delivered but the guy said he never got it. I received it back in the mail last week. It had been 2 months since the package left my mailbox.

I sent him a second pen to make up for the first. At this point it still has not reached him and that was a month ago. It was sent to Brazil, went through customs, came back from Brazil to Miami and then was sent to Germany.

Only big problem in 3-4 years using priority mail.

Fun stuff!

I sent a guy in Germany a Priority Mail International package. The German post reported it back as delivered but the guy said he never got it. I received it back in the mail last week. It had been 2 months since the package left my mailbox.

I sent him a second pen to make up for the first. At this point it still has not reached him and that was a month ago. It was sent to Brazil, went through customs, came back from Brazil to Miami and then was sent to Germany.

Only big problem in 3-4 years using priority mail.

Fun stuff!

You're lucky it was forwarded on from Brazil... I've had cargo go in to Brazil and simply disappear.... even had a crate that arrived there in error and Brazilian customs seized it because it "arrived illegally".

stonepecker

And even with all the little stuff that becomes the big problems........Things still get where they need to be.

Just recieved my package from Exotics. Sent Tues and recieved on Friday.
USPS even sent it out be 'special' truck.
I know we complain and bitch when things go worng........but we need to also remember when things go right.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Top Bottom