Convert Panache to Fountain: Will it fit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There are no QUICK, ACCURATE answers any more!!

I have an old Penache that I made years ago--no the nib does NOT screw into the threads.

We have the new Penache, so we tried the nib into the coupler (kit is a kit, not assembled), it does screw in. HOWEVER!!!!! The cap may not be deep enough to accommodate the length of the fountain pen nib--we have encountered this with other rollerballs. Certainly a problem that can be overcome, but it is not a simple swap.

If I was still doing shows and making dozens of pens a week, I would have several nib sections that are now available and make a list, so I knew what I could swap out at shows. But, the latest count at Exotics is over 300 styles of pen we now sell--too many to try them all with each accessory. AND some of them (as was the case here) are changing their threads, so we have no assurance that the next batch will match the last batch.

So, my only safe answer is "I dunno, give it a try with the pen you have".

Sorry for the ambiguity!!
Ed

Edit in: When we did shows, I tried every combination I could think of!! Some worked, many did not. But, when I was AT a show, if there was another penmaker there, I looked more professional, because I could tell the prospective customer that I had modified the pens to accept "non-conventional" accessories.

Sometimes this meant lengthening the body (to accommodate 2 cartridges) or even changing a coupler from the one in the kit, to make a rolllerball into a fountain. Changed the bushings on the penache, so I could put a dime in one end and a nickel in the other (no, this did NOT sell, for me). BUT, I was the only one showing these mods!!

Helped with marketing.
Ed

Last edited:

sschering

Thanks for the answer.. This is for a one off gift so if I need to swap in a longer cap tube it's no big deal.

Thanks! I'm off to place my order.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed I'm curious about the dime and nickel. Got a pic?

When we did shows, I took LOUSY pics. When I came to IAP, several people informed me my pics here were lousy.

BUT, I do have the second generation, a dime in each end--I still have one of the pens. I will take a pic later and post it. The "nickle and dime" version looked out of balance to me and it did not sell--two reasons to change it.

sschering

Good news is the FP nib fits the coupler. As Ed said the cap will be an issue.

To resolve this I will replace the 2.02" 12.5mm cap tube with a 2.42" tube from a Woodcradt Dugas stylus. Lucky for me Woodcraft had a tube set on the shelf.

sschering

Done! I think it looks more balanced with the extended cap.
Special thanks to Ed and Dawn for putting up with me :)

Top Bottom