International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 22

Default Paraffin wax or something else?

What is a good way to coat pen blanks to see what they will look like polished up besides misting it with water?

It would- could also be a good wood sealant if the entire blank was coated. I was debating on buying a paraffin wax heater & dipping them?

Suggestions?
AeroCustoms.com is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 21

I was told that Acetone works or is that just for cleaning? Maybe a light swipe of tung oil so that it did not absorb very deeply?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

To see the grain I would wipe them w/ MS or DNA which will evap rather quickly. To seal you could use wax, I see some folk that buy sentless candles and melt them and coat the blanks. I would only coat the entire blank if checks are a real concern and this will only come from trial and error. Burls should be 100% coated but I would not coat a mesquite or anything like that all the way, just the end grain and a little side grain. I personally dip the ends of my blanks in Ancorseal and leave it on thick. Take almost a week to dry all the way but I have had success w/ that.
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I use DNA. Schlepp it on there and voila you have a good look at the figure... then it's gone.

If you are planning to apply a CA finish to the blank don't wax it or even get wax near the blank or you may well cause the CA not to stick properly.

What a long strange trip it's been!
The 60's will never leave, if we refuse to leave them!!

Last edited by Bree; 11-08-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chapter Steering Committee

Isopropyl alcohol works well. Drys fast and won't raise the grain like water. And it's cheap.

Wisconsin Chapter Leader

http://woodjunky.weebly.com/

My money talks to me, it says good bye.
A penny saved is a government oversight.
ssajn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I clean my blanks with Acetone - then if I really don't see what I want to be able to see - I will gently sand one side (pick the best and the worst) re clean and ultimately even shoot a quick coat of spray lacquer on them. This is especially good if you are wanting to just photograph the blanks for some reason.

Linda
Old 11-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 73

Mineral spirits
rherrell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPD_Mrs View Post
I clean my blanks with Acetone - then if I really don't see what I want to be able to see - I will gently sand one side (pick the best and the worst) re clean and ultimately even shoot a quick coat of spray lacquer on them. This is especially good if you are wanting to just photograph the blanks for some reason.

Linda
Be aware that ordinary acetone can be a nasty chemical. It has a low flash point and is extremely flammable. Its vapor can flash back off lots of ignition sources. So no sparks, open flames, or heat sources when you use it.

Also be careful about combining it with anything else. For example, combining it with hydrogen peroxide can cause formation of acetone peroxide which is extremely unstable and explosive. Terrorists sometimes use it as an IED or suicide weapon.

Bottom line... be careful! DNA is a lot safer but even DNA should be handled with gloves as it is toxic. We sometimes forget that.

What a long strange trip it's been!
The 60's will never leave, if we refuse to leave them!!
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Wood loses MC through evaporation if want to use wax as an end sealer okay. Leave sides uncovered, completely sealed blanks cannot absorb or release moisture. You want your blanks to reach EMC, before turning without air movement no MC evaporation. Better to lose a blank in storage than on the lathe or after assembly.

If going to ship pen blanks out of state okay to completely seal. Have to advise recipient skinner back so blank can reach EMC.

I use “Gulf Wax,” household paraffin wax, (canning, candle making, and many other uses) available at lot of grocery stores to end seal pen and spindle blanks.
Hot plate & old pot get it done, some say need a double boiler.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Top