International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 22

Default Dumb question

I just had to redo the finish & sanding on one of my Redwood lace blanks I was turning because of dirty micro mesh, I had just turned an Ebony letter opener & polished it with the micro mesh The right behind it was turning a Redwood lace Rollerball, the blank is 2 tone with some sapwood showing & the micro mesh turned the lighter end almost Grey with the contaminants from the Ebony blank. I know I can hopefully sand it out with clean sandpaper & try again but is there anything to use to clean the micro mesh or just rinse it off with clean water? They are only $14.00 for new set but they are not that old only turned a few pieces with them. Maybe I need a set for similar woods?

Bill
AeroCustoms.com is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 100

Dee washes mine in the washer, she has an old pillow case she puts them in, I've had some sets for two years.
www.Classicnib.com
OKLAHOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

You can wash by hand, some use a toothbrush. You can use dish soap. You can even throw them in the washing machine - put them in a pants pocket first.

I clean mine with a squirt bottle of water - just blast away until the dust is gone.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure about cleaning it but if I were you I would get some Abralon for sanding wood. It goes pretty high in the grits at least 4000 I think and save the MM for plastic and CA. You can try some mild soapy water to clean the MM
Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have at least two sets, one is getting washed while the others work. I hand wash them with a drop of dish soap. But I think I may try the washer machine now........wont Tracy be pleased.
Rick P is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 22

That's a great idea, "I always get accused of leaving stuff" in my pants pockets already! On the using micro mesh for CA & Plastic's, I can not get the mirror like finish I desire without the micro mesh. I tried with just sandpaper alone & even tried up to the 4000 grit it just does not compare IMHO.

I know it is old school for you pro's but I like the HUT friction hard coat for my work.
AeroCustoms.com is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Try using a rubber sandpaper cleaning stick. It's a 2" square stick of gum rubber you can pick up at Harbor Freight for a few bucks. Cleans disks and belts like magic. Will work on MM also.

What a long strange trip it's been!
The 60's will never leave, if we refuse to leave them!!
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
I have at least two sets, one is getting washed while the others work. I hand wash them with a drop of dish soap. But I think I may try the washer machine now........wont Tracy be pleased.
Just make sure you wash them with the jeans, not with the delicates damhikt. I put mine in a mesh bag and just throw it in.