International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Distinction: Celtic knots vs. Lissajous curves

I hate to nitpick, but I see a number of people posting images of "Celtic knot" designs which really aren't Celtic knots at all: they're Lissajous curves.

If you compare them, the differences are quite obvious, and we do a disservice when we perpetuate this sort of inaccuracy. :-)
Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I'll agree and disagree.

Quote:
Main Entry: Celtic knot
Part of Speech: n
Definition: any of eight decorative knots with alternating over-and-under construction, originating in pre-Christian times and found in manuscripts and on monuments
Example: The Book of Kells is well-known for the Celtic knots.

Quote:
Lissajous Curve
(lēsəzh ′figyər)
(physics) The path of a particle moving in a plane when the components of its position along two perpendicular axes each undergo simple harmonic motions and the ratio of their frequencies is a rational number. Also known as Bowditch curve.
I say the segmented blanks that are commonly called Celtic knots are neither. 1. The over/under construction of a celtic knot isn't complete. Thee is at least one band that is on top all the way around the pen. 2. For nearly the same reasons, it's not a true lissajous.

It resembles both, but isn't either really. so I call them Pseudo-celtic knots.

The only real celtic knots I've seen are the laser engraved blanks and One or two carved blanks.

I have left the IAP. If you wish to contact, use the email a member feature. I don't log in to see PMs any longer.
Russianwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianwolf View Post
...The only real celtic knots I've seen are the laser engraved blanks and One or two carved blanks.
This is the best inlayed Celtic Knot I've seen ...
Celtic Knotwork Inlay
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Marla, I agree with your opinion on the work you refer us to. Larry's inlay is definitely a great example for this discussion. I just would like to know how much time he has involved with these pens he has posted.

" The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -Thomas Jefferson"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianwolf View Post
...The only real celtic knots I've seen are the laser engraved blanks and One or two carved blanks.
This is the best inlayed Celtic Knot I've seen ...
Celtic Knotwork Inlay
That is, indeed, Celtic knotwork, and a fine example.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthulhu View Post
I hate to nitpick, but I see a number of people posting images of "Celtic knot" designs which really aren't Celtic knots at all: they're Lissajous curves.

If you compare them, the differences are quite obvious, and we do a disservice when we perpetuate this sort of inaccuracy. :-)
Uh... either way, I think it's much easier to sell a pen by saying "take a look at this beautiful Celtic knot design" than to say "take a look at this Lissajous curve pen"!! They'll just stare at you like LissaWHAT?...
glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

... setting your customer up for embarrassment when he shows off his "Celtic knotwork" pen to someone who knows better? :-/
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

I can't think of a single person who would be embarrassed over that... and calling it a lissajous curve would be just as "embarrassing" because that would also be "incorrect". It looks like both, but as Mike said, it is neither.
People call their pens "celtic knot" pens because they resemble a celtic knot. The same way people call the "stars and stripes" pen a flag pen. It's not an actual flag or even a true representation of the flag. But it LOOKS like a flag, just like all of the celtic knot pens that I have seen LOOK like a celtic knot.

Last edited by glycerine; 12-28-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

And by the way, I believe this discussion has come up before on the forum...
Old 12-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glycerine View Post
I can't think of a single person who would be embarrassed over that... and calling it a lissajous curve would be just as "embarrassing" because that would also be "incorrect". It looks like both, but as Mike said, it is neither.
People call their pens "celtic knot" pens because they resemble a celtic knot. The same way people call the "stars and stripes" pen a flag pen. It's not an actual flag or even a true representation of the flag. But it LOOKS like a flag, just like all of the celtic knot pens that I have seen LOOK like a celtic knot.
This is one of the greatest intelligent things I have read on the internet in long time! I don't ever posts to debate type posts but wow your comment is dead on perfect and I wanted to share my impressed feelings after I read it. Thank you!

Karin Voorhis is offline   Reply With Quote Top