3rd Annual Russ Fairfield Slim Line challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The Russ Fairfield Memorial Slimline Challenge.

This contest is dedicated to Russ Fairfield, a pioneer in the world of penturning. Russ Fairfield began making pens in the late 1980's using the only pen kit available at the time – the Slimline. At first, wooden pens were enough of a novelty that Russ was able to sell them without having to make any modifications at all, but as more and more people began to make pens, he saw the need to branch out and offer a different product. He realized that he could make some simple changes to his Slimline pens that made them stand out from the pens that were being offered by the other penturners at the time. Instead of just keeping his new designs to himself, Russ decided to openly share the modifications that he had developed. Throughout his turning career, Russ was always willing to answer questions and teach others what he had learned. He was not content to just make the same designs over and over, he continued to push his craft and discover new ways to make a pen. Much of what we do now, we do because he showed us how. Slims with homemade centerbands, closed ended pens, and hidden clips all came from Russ. Without any actual face to face meetings, Russ taught many of today's finest penmakers a lot about what makes a good pen through his videos and web site. Russ taught new techniques, while cementing the importance of the fundamentals. The pen making community lost a wonderful mentor with Russ' passing. This contest is respectfully offered as a tribute to Russ Fairfield.

About the Contest

This contest is open to ALL members. New members would do well to enter since it will teach you how to make your pens different and unique, and you will learn techniques that will help in all your penmaking.
The pen you make for this contest must follow the designs and teachings of Russ Fairfield. All of Russ' slimline pens were rooted in four basic designs. You will be using any of these designs to build your pen,
The "Russ Line"
The "Long Line"
The "J-Line"
The "Fat Line"

Please try to keep your entry as close as possible to one of his designs but don't just copy his work, make a pen that Russ would have been proud to call one of his designs.
Sadly, Russ's website is no longer available for use as a resource by aspiring penmakers. The only reference we can provide are the four attached photos of Russ' designs.

The Rules For The Russ Fairfield Memorial Challenge Are;

1 – To participate in any IAP activity your profile must contain your first & last name and your city & state (or equivalent) of residence.

2 - Must use a Slimline kit as a basis for this contest.

3 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown anywhere on the Internet before Feb 1 2013.

4 – Entries are to be submitted via the entry form. Entries are not to be posted directly to the thread.

Russ Fairfield Entry Form

The

5 - Winners will be chosen by how closely you follow Russ's teachings and designs as well as fit and finish. Take the best pictures you can since this is all we will have to judge the quality of the pen. To keep the thread to a manageable size I ask that you only post three (3) pictures per person please.

6 - A panel of judges will choose the top three pens.

7 - All pens must be submitted by Feb. 25.

Winners will be announced on Feb. 28.

The photos below depict:

Two examples of the "Russ Line"

A "Long Line" compared to a "Fat Line"

Two views of a "J-Line"

A "Fat Line" compared to a slimline.

88589d1359557720t-3rd-annual-russ-fairfield-modified-slimline-challenge-russ-line.jpg
88590d1359557720t-3rd-annual-russ-fairfield-modified-slimline-challenge-long-line-compared-fat-line.jpg
88591d1359557720t-3rd-annual-russ-fairfield-modified-slimline-challenge-j-line.jpg
88592d1359557720-3rd-annual-russ-fairfield-modified-slimline-challenge-fat-line-compared-slimline.jpg

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
All the photos show up fine on my Firefox and on my Android via Forum Runner.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

The problem seems to be permissions, not browser. When I click on the links posted, I get a message saying I don't have permission to view the page (which explains why the moderators don't see the red x's)

Also, is there somewhere that Russ' website went? It would be extremely useful to get his original instructions.

Regards,
Eric

JLewis

I too have had the same question about Russ' site. I know it is no longer avail, Google doesn't seem to have cached any of it. Do we know where all his 0's and 1's went to? Did anyone download the code or print any of it to be recreated? It would be nice to gather all the info again and get a site running in his honor for the newbies out there.

No to figure out which of these styles to put a twist on...

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I dont know of anyone who would have his site backed up other than his family on his computor. Maybe someone who would know will answer that for us.

Tim

I have the same issue as Sylvanite. This is the message I get:

Tim, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
For all of you that are interested in Russ's work attached is an article from Don Ward
(Its Virgil) That shows how the pen that Russ called the J line is made. Its a great reference article. Many thanks to Don.

Attachments

• Challenge pen Russ FairField.pdf
    151.1 KB · Views: 592

Gagler

Long Line

here is one of his Long Lines, and a long line with a fat line

Attachments

• longline1.png
    longline1.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 211
  • long line with fat line.png
    long line with fat line.png
    166 KB · Views: 202

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Good Morning IAP We have our first entry into the Contest and its a great looking pen. There is still time left to get your entry in, lets see some more great pens entered.

THarvey

I thought Don Ward created the "J-Line" pen, not Russ Fairfied.

I gathered that based on Don's article posted on the Penmakers Guild site. Don appears to take credit for the slim line modification in Part 2 of his Slim Line Modification articles. He references another article by Angelo Iafrate, who used an European.

Russ Fairfield's articles included the "Russ-line", "Fat Line" and the "Long Line."

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Don was the one that forwarded the pdf I posted on how he made the pen that he believes that Russ calls the J line. Credit for the origination of the design should go to Don, but since the J line was one of the types that Russ made we have included it in the contest as an appropriate design for submission.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have two more entries into the contest and they are looking Mahvalous ........

We do have the prizes sorted out for the compititions
First Place will win..... Blanks donated by The master blank maker Brooks803 (Jonathon) $150.00 value.
Second Place .... 20 blanks donated by Invisible Man $100.00 value
Third place ..... $50.00 gift card From Lee Valley.

Thank you to all for the donations there are some great prizes to be won.

its_virgil

Here is the history of the pen Russ called the J-line. It is outlined in my article and Russ is not mentioned because he had not seen it when the article was published. The original pen was made by Angelo Iafrate using parts from both the slimline and the Euro and an article was published in the American Woodturner. A good friend and excellent pen maker here in Texas, Jay Pickens, made a similar pen using only slimline parts. He sent me a picture and challenged me to make one. Jay called the pen his challenge pen and I now call it the challenge pen. I accepted Jay's challenge and made the pen. I posted the pen here on IAP and Russ made a modification and posted his version. I made a change and posted it and then Russ posted another and others posted versions with changes. The pen generated a lot of interest and discussion here and we had a lot of fun with it for several weeks. Russ contacted Jay and they talked about the pen. Russ and I visited often and talked about the pen. Russ started calling it the J-line since he(Russ) considered Jay to be the one who first made this pen. So, the history of the pen Russ called the J-line is now history. I don't think Russ ever put the pen on his website but he did include it in one of his last dvd's.

I look forward to seeing the pens entered in this contest. Russ was a mentor to many of us...some he knew personally and many more he did not. Let's have fun with these pens.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I thought Don Ward created the "J-Line" pen, not Russ Fairfied.

I gathered that based on Don's article posted on the Penmakers Guild site. Don appears to take credit for the slim line modification in Part 2 of his Slim Line Modification articles. He references another article by Angelo Iafrate, who used an European.

Russ Fairfield's articles included the "Russ-line", "Fat Line" and the "Long Line."

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Don
Thank you for the back ground on how the pen began and developed. It is good to know.

Top Bottom