ZIP DISK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steamshovel

My kids switched to windows 10 and I can't use ZIP disks. I am a big dummy when it comes to these things. I don't have a new disk to download and can't find any at the local stores. When I bought what I have and being a computer wizard, I went to work. I opened up the disk and there was 3 things showing with jumbled letters and numbers! So I deleted them on all the disks. Well they worked when I used them but only on my windows 7 computer.

Does anyone have any new iomega 250mb disks, never used they would sell or copy those 3 things I deleted and send to me. I have a lot of old pictures of my grandkids I want to save. I feel like an idiot.

Preston

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I don't think you are going to be able to use the zip disks on win 8 or 10. Iomega stopped support for them some time ago. My advice would be to use an older machine to copy the files off and put them on flash drives or SD cards, or pick up an inexpensive usb portable external hard drive. If you have an old laptop around, you can salvage the drive from it and put it in a $10 external drive box.

Skie_M

Iomega stopped supporting newer operating systems because all the newer op systems now have backwards compatibility built-in support for such removable storage devices.

Still, I would suggest hitting your local Staples or Office Depot during the next Black Friday sale and grabbing a bunch of small thumb drives. 1GB or 2GB would fit your needs nicely. You could fit the contents of 4 to 8 zip disks on each thumb drive and keep them all co-located with a key ring system, keeping files that are needed together on each drive. Alternatively, 15 bucks would probably net you a 32GB thumb drive that would hold everything you've got times 5... :)

chartle

Iomega stopped supporting newer operating systems because all the newer op systems now have backwards compatibility built-in support for such removable storage devices.

Still, I would suggest hitting your local Staples or Office Depot during the next Black Friday sale and grabbing a bunch of small thumb drives. 1GB or 2GB would fit your needs nicely. You could fit the contents of 4 to 8 zip disks on each thumb drive and keep them all co-located with a key ring system, keeping files that are needed together on each drive. Alternatively, 15 bucks would probably net you a 32GB thumb drive that would hold everything you've got times 5... :)

I think 16 gig is going to be the smallest you are going to find.

tbroye

I kept one Windows box with a zip disk and floopy drives as I have some floppys and zips I need to get the files off of One of these days I wll fire it up and copy the picture and file to CD or DVD . I also still have my Tandy 1000 Dos box wtih DOS 2.11 for kicks my Grandkids love it

Skie_M

As long as you aren't having to program the games on it yourself in FORTRAN or COBAL ... o_O

I started playing around with DOS back in version 3.1 ...

mecompco

Brings back memories! My first intro to MS DOS was 2.11 on an original IBM PC with a whopping 10 MB hard drive (5.25 inch, full height)--around $5,000 back then. And yes, I did have to learn COBOL in school (VT 100 terminal compiled on a DEC Vax mini). How times have changed!

PS: I, too, have a working ZIP drive.

chartle

Brings back memories! My first intro to MS DOS was 2.11 on an original IBM PC with a whopping 10 MB hard drive (5.25 inch, full height)--around $5,000 back then. And yes, I did have to learn COBOL in school (VT 100 terminal compiled on a DEC Vax mini). How times have changed!

I used cards. :)

mecompco

I used cards. :)

Ha ha, can't say I ever used punch cards. I DID help a machine shop that was going to CNC interface their paper tape reader back in the day. It was a custom-made RS-232 interface that I soldered up. I sure do wish I could find my 8" floppys (IIRC the CP/M machine we had in school used them)--I do have a bunch of unopened boxes of 5.25" ones. :biggrin:

Last edited:

brownsfn2

For less than $100 you can get a 2Terabyte external hard drive which will last for years. If you buy two you can back up the hard drive to another hard drive. If you have really important data then you should back up to static media like thumb drives, magnetic tape, or maybe DVD writable media. If you use something easy and inexpensive like DVDs to make a back up then make two copies and store one copy with a family member in case of fire or other natural disaster at your house.

We do this with all of our important data. Really most of all we do it with our photos wich are irreplaceable.

Also you can look into storage in the cloud. There are several PC backup providers that will give you a certain amount of space for a low price every month.

Just something to think about.

Get rid of the Iomega Zip Drives. That is pretty old technology at this point.

Brian G

My first PC was an Abacus......

You had an abacus?:eek: How lucky! I had a pointy stick and patch of dirt.

I have Zip drive, which is one of my regrettable purchases at a time when thumb drives were dropping in price and increasing in capacity.

I'd be happy to wipe the Zips of content and give them away to someone that wants them. I think I have 3, and one might be unused.

PTsideshow

For less than $100 you can get a 2Terabyte external hard drive which will last for years. If you buy two you can back up the hard drive to another hard drive. If you have really important data then you should back up to static media like thumb drives, magnetic tape, or maybe DVD writable media. If you use something easy and inexpensive like DVDs to make a back up then make two copies and store one copy with a family member in case of fire or other natural disaster at your house.

We do this with all of our important data. Really most of all we do it with our photos wich are irreplaceable.

Also you can look into storage in the cloud. There are several PC backup providers that will give you a certain amount of space for a low price every month.

Just something to think about.

Get rid of the Iomega Zip Drives. That is pretty old technology at this point.

Have to agree about both of these ideas, I started to use the e-books stand alone drives when they first came out. And have continued to use them along with the thumb drives now that they have come down in price for larger cap's.
Since I have switched to a Mac from PC. I bought an http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO1I2DU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
And just in case this too Rescue 2 year data recovery external hard drives Under $10.00
When the wifes apple brand back up drive started to act up we bought another of the above. They are USB plug and play they have gotten amazingly small Smaller than an smart phone and only twice as thick.
I too had fell for the zip disk and drives had external and internals in each computers also just disposed of all the drives and 15 disks 2 months previous to your post!:clown:

Top Bottom