You know times are tough when...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

You bake bread and can't stay in business. We had a local bread store here that just closed up & went out of business.
They were not a bakery, they just made bread.
Lots of different breads too.

I liked a lot of what they made. My wife & I usually bought at least a loaf a week for 13 years straight. They made breads from all over the world using authentic flour from where the bread originally came from.

It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't nose bleed expensive either. A good loaf of Russian black bread was $7 or so. A really good loaf of French bread was $4. So, not exorbitantly priced.

I spoke to the owner last week & she told me she was closing shop because she couldn't make a go of it anymore.
I got 2 loaves of the last batch she baked.
It's a shame to lose another small business in this area.
There's no other place around here that sells good bread like they did.

Oh well, it's pretty bad when people can't afford bread anymore. :frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

There's a bakery here that's pretty well known. Every time I tell somebody that I'm from Brooksville they say. That's where the bakery is right? Anyway. They are still in business. The only thing the original owner sold and the bread or anything else is not as good as it was...

Herb G

I'm really going to miss that place. I can only hope someone else will buy it & reopen it, but I doubt it. The company that owned the property where the store was tripled their rent prices. Just being greedy.
Already, there's been 5 businesses in that location shut their doors because the rent was jacked up.

There's been talk of bulldozing that entire strip mall & putting up high rise buildings for the elderly. I hope they declare eminent domain & take the land from these greedy bastids. It would serve them right for destroying our community.

CREID

I love a good Russian black bread. I used to make it in the bread machine. Only place I ever seen a good one sold was Schlotzky's (sp). And there so far away from where I live.

Herb G

I found out about this place because of the Russian Black Bread.
A fellow I worked with was a big Russian dude. Everyday for lunch he ate a big tin of sardines (the can was the size of a football), a raw onion, and a big hunk of Russian black bread.

He was never sick a day in his life either.

Anyway, he told me about this bread store & I didn't even know it was in my own backyard, so to speak. So, one day I stopped in there & got some of that bread. A loaf weighed about 4 lbs. IIRC. It was good bread though.

Man, I'm getting hungry thinking about it. :eek:

Curly

I love a good loaf of bread of just about any kind so I feel for you. A loaf of bread at the supermarket just doesn't compare even when they have their own in store bakery but they don't actually make bread, just thaw frozen dough that was trucked in from halfway across the country to bake. What can you expect from generations of people that think a Macburger bun is good baking.

As for the Russian not getting sick. I think it has more to do with the smell of sardines and onions keeping people at a distance. ;)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I chaperoned my wife on a business trip to Ireland 3 weeks ago. We took 4 days and drove the circumference of the Northern 1/2.

Admittedly, we were driving through mostly small towns, but I never saw a "Big Box" store, no Large Super Grocery Stores, No chain restaurants. Derry (North Coast) was bustling with nightlife on Saturday - lots of teenagers waiting for the dance clubs to open (I assume) - my wife and I walked on the perimeter wall at 10:30 PM with no hint of of any security risk.

Galway was a delight with all the small restaurants, pubs, shops and local businesses. Dublin and Belfast were also great stays. Toured an Irish Bog!!! :)

...We need to support our small businesses.

Attachments

• IMG_3207.jpg
    IMG_3207.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 159

CREID

I love a good loaf of bread of just about any kind so I feel for you. A loaf of bread at the supermarket just doesn't compare even when they have their own in store bakery but they don't actually make bread, just thaw frozen dough that was trucked in from halfway across the country to bake. What can you expect from generations of people that think a Macburger bun is good baking.

As for the Russian not getting sick. I think it has more to do with the smell of sardines and onions keeping people at a distance. ;)

Speaking of trucking in dough. I complained to the manager at one of the Portland Panera stores that I couldn't get any rye bread from them because they always sold out so early in the day. He told me they only made 2 loaves a day. I said you should make more, I know other people have said they couldn't get it either. He told me they don't get to decide how many they make, corporate does. Everyday the truck comes from Seattle with dough for two loaves. And thats all they get.

Curly

Mark you should go to Belize. The government won't allow any North Amaerican chain restaurants or fast food outlets including coffee in the country. It's nice having a vacation without a forest of plastic signs flogging plastic food. ;)

Curt the stupidity of trucking frozen cakes and bread dough is only the tip of the iceberg and will only get worse.

Top Bottom