Woodcraft Clearence 30-Piece Pen Turners Variety Pack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

I've got a package of them on order and wonder if anyone has tried them before? I thought, what the heck, for the price I couldn't go wrong if I just used the parts for other slimline pens and the blanks couldn't be that bad...or could they? Any comments would be appreciated and I'll let everyone know how they worked out once I receive them... Safe turning to all!

PSNCO

Bought a box locally and gave them to my son. He said the transmissions look funky compared to the other slimlines he turned. The blanks are just plain........BLLLAAAHHH. He's got some comfort grip center bands to fatten up the middle and he'll probably dress most of the kits with the castings we didn't quite like.

Signguy

These are the really crappy plastic transmissions. They have been trying to get rid of them on clearance because they have a huge failure rate. Some of the stores are selling the kits for $1 each. Id suggest buying replacement metal transmissions and not trusting these.

Lucky2

I'm sorry, but, IMO $1.00 pen kits are just junk, and they in no way are of high enough quality to make pens for the troops out of. I mean, what's the sense in sending someone a pen that is, or will be defective in a week or two. I know it is a worthy cause and that pens are needed, I just think that better kits then this should be used.
Len

flyitfast

I'm sorry, but, IMO $1.00 pen kits are just junk, and they in no way are of high enough quality to make pens for the troops out of. I mean, what's the sense in sending someone a pen that is, or will be defective in a week or two. I know it is a worthy cause and that pens are needed, I just think that better kits then this should be used.
Len

I agree - after suggesting them for the troops, I think I will withdraw that now that I understand the quality (or lack of).
I'll be happy to pay more to give the troops something they will be able to use for a longer period of time.
Thanks for the posts with the warning.
gordon

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I bought some last time they were on sale and one has been my day to day carry pen now since March. There has been no problem with the components and the pen has worked flawlessly. The transmission has had no problems. I will get some more if the funds become available..

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thou speaketh to quickly people

I have not seen them yet so I won't comment on the specific quality of the kits but in general.

I ordered some and I do expect them to go to pens for troops.

Poor transmissions are about the only serious problem with slimline kits. At the price listed if the transmission don't seem good enough I can repalce them with top quality Taiwan made transmissions and still have a resonable amount invested.

Poor plating is possible. The plating is chrome, which is seldom a problem even when used in cheap kits....everybody knows how to plate with chrome and the plating wears well.

Pretty poor refills is common on all 7mm kits. The refill is probably the same refill that comes in most slimlines from the most expensive to the cheapest, and if you don't like that one, it is easy for find replacement refills - half the time I replace them anyway.

The point being that you ought not be too quick to judge a sale item.

kingkeyman

I've made plenty of these without any issues. And as far as faulty transmissions go, people on this forum have posted issues with a variety of different kits. Don't be afraid of these, really.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Arrived and I've looked at them

I have received these kits and I note the following - the transmissions are indeed partly plastic which, in and of itself, means nothing at all. I've tried about a dozed (20% of those I received) and they all accept a refill and operate smoothly and correctly.

The upper and lower tubes are not interchangeable the lower tube is longer because the transmission is shorter. This version the centerband is definately not in the center - the lower barrel is longer than typical and the upper tube is shorter. The overall length of a completed pen is about typical give or take a tad.

Do something different (for most of us) and read the instructions first especially about pressing in the transmission.

The refills seem typical - neither exceptionally good or exceptionally bad.

The blanks are not marked as to wood species but they appear to be uniform in length and size about 3/4 x3/4 x 6. Mostly they are, as you should expect, plain jane blands without a great deal of grain but will make prefectly good pens.

Finish on the metal parts seems to be about typical and the parts themselves are perhaps a little lighter than you'd get on Fancy Slimlines. The clips are a tad light but seem to be adequate. The centerband is not as wide as typical being maybe 2/3 the width of a Fancy centerband and 1/2 the width of a standard slimline. The pressed in parts seem to be sized about right for smooth easy pressing and for those who like to glue them in to be sure, gluing shouldn't be a problem.

Just as an aside - these are not 'made in China' kit -- they are made in Taiwan.

If you would feel more comfortable with an all metal transmission you must keep in mind that it will need to be pressed farther into the tube than for other slimlines - measure first to get the approximate lenth of the transmission that must remain out of the tube.

I will use these kits as pens for troops, perhaps not all of the blanks will get used, but the metal parts can be made into perfectly good pens.

Just so everyone knows, although I sell 7mm kits I do not sell any slimline kits and have no axe to grind here one way or the other.

Last edited:

Brian G

I had purchased these last November when the price dropped from $129 to $50. I've made a few, without problems with the transmissions. I think, though, these transmissions won't be easy to expell if they are pushed in too deep. I haven't had to find out, yet.

I like the inkfills that come with them. I made two pens for my own use, and use them frequently.

I decided to spring for another box, knowing that the blanks were ho-hum. One of the 6 packs of five was missing the inkfills. :confused: I'm not motivated enough to take them back; I'll just buy some from one of the IAP vendors

Top Bottom