Who wants to play???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have been a very big advocate for the expansion of our hobby or some people may call it a trade and that is pen making. I encourage many times in posts to think outside the box. Use your imagination. Over the years this has been the case and we all reap the benefits. People now make blanks and sell them very easily. When something catches fire it usually runs for quite some time.

With this all said, I was thinking once again:biggrin:. , what if we relive some of the history and walk down the path of our heritage in the blank making field. What if we try to compile a list of different types of blanks that are made today using the different mediums. I am not talking about as an example label casting and everyone list all the different type labels. Just list the general catagory. Label casting.

It might be fun to see what we all have the possibility to choose from when we make a pen. It is also a point to show what people have thought of over the years. Someone had to be first. Hopefully in a few more years we will be able to add more to the list as the talent pool increases here. New minds, new ideas.

If it goes well maybe we can add to the library or at least put the list in the pen turning forum. For now just have fun with it. I will start by stating a few which are obvious to me. Take it from there. It will start with the latest of course. :)

*Thread weaved pattern blanks
*Braided metal sleeve cast blanks
*Carbon Fiber and nylon cast blanks
*Bird Feather blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Stonework blanks include:

Soapstone
Alabaster
Marble
Granite

Semi-precious stone inlay in wood and other material (crushed or powdered stone inlay)

Tru-stone and other imitation style stone blanks

Genuine Turquoise and Malachite stone blanks

Genuine Amber (petrified) blanks

Genuine Ivory (petrified and non-petrified) blanks (walrus, elephant)

Genuine Whalebone and Baleen blanks (and petrified whalebone)

Metal blanks:

Solid Aluminum

Solid Brass

Solid Stainless Steel

Solid Damascus Steel

Solid Sterling Silver

All with or without silver, gold, or platinum highlights, or Titanium Nitride highlights in gold or black.

Worthless Wood (bits and pieces of wood cast in resin)

Random Household Object (bits and pieces of various objects you might find at home ... coffee beans, noodles, legos, ect)

Stamps cast in resin

Coins cast in resin (bent around the mandrel)

Carved Coins cast in resin (design cut out with scroll saw)

I think I'll stop here and let the next guy put in a few. :)

Skie_M

I just want to point out that possession of a Bald Eagle feather or any of it's parts without specific permissions from the government is against US federal law.

Native Americans may do so (they have those permissions as part of their heritage rights), and they can convey such permission upon a recipient as a GIFT from their tribe (need to have a written letter stating such). The legalities of it get kinda tangled from that point onward.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I just want to point out that possession of a Bald Eagle feather or any of it's parts without specific permissions from the government is against US federal law.

Native Americans may do so (they have those permissions as part of their heritage rights), and they can convey such permission upon a recipient as a GIFT from their tribe (need to have a written letter stating such). The legalities of it get kinda tangled from that point onward.
Eagle feathers has nothing to do with a bird.

OKLAHOMAN

Snake skin
Coffee Bean
Pasta,
inlay (such as Lyle Walden's Texas flag and Cross blanks)
Hand Painted tubes then clear cast

Sprung

Solid copper wire, wrapped around a tube, then soldered in place and turned.

(Did a pen with this for my first PITH here - was within my first 15 or 20 pens I made! Need to make one again...)

jttheclockman

These are great. keep them coming..

Couple others

*Toothpick blanks
*Colored Pencils
*Steampunk blanks (the ones with the glass tubes and stuff:))
*Metallic tape
*All the wood blanks
*Segmented blanks of all kinds
*Acid etched blanks

jttheclockman

Always liked this pen by btboone Not sure what we can call it other than a metal puzzle pen. But it was something that has never been copied. Took various mediums to make it.

puzzlefade.jpg

robutacion

Oh boy...!

Should I even start the humongous list that I have come up with...???

Would I remember them all...???

Anyone remember my Pine screw pen...???:biggrin::wink:

Humm..., maybe later...!
Cheers
George

jttheclockman

Always liked this pen by btboone Not sure what we can call it other than a metal puzzle pen. But it was something that has never been copied. Took various mediums to make it.

puzzlefade.jpg

Some additional info for that masterpiece.

Boone Titanium Rings

Mark, thanks for the info. It ranks up there as one of my favorite pens ever to come across this site. The detail, shape, color, concept, material are all first rate. If anyone ever wanted to see what a $2500 pen looks like here is one.

Brooks803

puzzlefade.jpg

Boone Titanium Rings

Mark, thanks for the info. It ranks up there as one of my favorite pens ever to come across this site. The detail, shape, color, concept, material are all first rate. If anyone ever wanted to see what a $2500 pen looks like here is one.

I can't remember if this exact pen is on display, but at the Alpharetta woodcraft Bruce (and several other pen makers) have pens displayed.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

puzzlefade.jpg

Boone Titanium Rings

I can't remember if this exact pen is on display, but at the Alpharetta woodcraft Bruce (and several other pen makers) have pens displayed.

Just curious - any remembrance of who the other turners are?

I'd love to see pics.

Top Bottom