What lathe are you using?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I just have been wondering what lathe everyone is using.

I actually had a cheap buffalo lathe that I bought, fiddled with and basically lost interest in.

I then happened upon a cheap shopsmith that I bought for $50. It was old, 1950s, and I went through it and completely restored it. I loved doing the restore, and actually restored 2 others, and decided I should try turning again.

I think the biggest differences in the lathe I started with and my shopsmith was the stability, smoothness and variable speed mechanism. I will probably eventually look at buying an electronic variable speed dedicated lathe and get rid of the shopsmith as we are looking at selling our property and downsizing.

I think the shopsmith is great, but not as easy to find accessories for, and I rarely use the other features of the shopsmith. I pretty much only use it for a lathe, so it seems pointless to have that particular tool.

wwneko

I bought a harbor freight lathe about a year ago, the bigger benchtop model. I like it except I always turn at the "wrong" speeds due to laziness on changing the belt. I was talking with a friend about upgrading to the 1221vs, he graciously offered to let me use his 1220vs for a while and see how I like it. Ive had it for about 2 months now and I love it. One way or another I'll have the 1221vs, hopefully sooner than later.

Peter Durand

I just have been wondering what lathe everyone is using.

I actually had a cheap buffalo lathe that I bought, fiddled with and basically lost interest in.

I then happened upon a cheap shopsmith that I bought for $50. It was old, 1950s, and I went through it and completely restored it. I loved doing the restore, and actually restored 2 others, and decided I should try turning again.

I think the biggest differences in the lathe I started with and my shopsmith was the stability, smoothness and variable speed mechanism. I will probably eventually look at buying an electronic variable speed dedicated lathe and get rid of the shopsmith as we are looking at selling our property and downsizing.

I think the shopsmith is great, but not as easy to find accessories for, and I rarely use the other features of the shopsmith. I pretty much only use it for a lathe, so it seems pointless to have that particular tool.

Nova DVR-XP

NO belts...the speed adjust is totally electronic from 100 to 3500 RPM

TonyL

Jet 1221..Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a better one. But for my needs, I don't have any reason to replace it.

Cmiles1985

I started about a year ago with a 1991 model Penn State lathe (a 14x42" bar type lathe) that had never been used...and didn't like it. I bought a Harbor Freight mini lathe to hold me off while I decided on my midi lathe. Now I have a Jet 1221 VS and the HF Mini. My next shop will include a much larger lathe (either OneWay or Powermatic depending on what I can find a good deal for).

jaroot

Harbor Freight

I bought a used Harbor Freight lathe. Floor model with variable speed belt system (works kind of like a snowmobile belt with adjustable pulleys)

Bought it for $50

Good enough for now.

mrrichieboy

Nova 1624, have had it about 4 years and not even a hiccup. Great lathe. Not electronic, but belt changes are about 30 seconds, so never a problem.---Rich

SDB777

Started with a Jet 1220VS, sold that one...moved up to the Nova 1642, it was on sale... The new lathe can swing BIG, and if you need to, you can turn the head and swing REALLY BIG(just remember, BIG means heavy).

Scott (need a forklift for my bowl blanks) B

papaturner

These are what I use. One is a Delta 46-460 The other a Steel City. Also have a Rigid that is collecting dust.

Attachments

• Delta 46-460.JPG
    Delta 46-460.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Steel City.JPG
    Steel City.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 162

Magicbob

I have a Turn-Craft 10" with the bed extension.
I am in the process of adding a 3/4 HP motor with electronic variable speed.
I drool like a St. Bernard every time I look at One Ways and Powermatics, maybe some day

siric

Have a Turncrafter 10VS as a starter - ok as I really only thought that I would be turning pens. Ha, one year on and so much for that - bowls, platters, etc. But obviously this 10VS has its' limitations so I just bought a Jet 1442 which I should get next week (living in Barbados means a 4 week lead time :frown:).

wyone

Well I have to say, the first few.. issues I had I blamed on lack of better equipment. :) since I have learned that turning is MUCH more of a skill than I once thought. I have refined some skills, have a long way to go to refine others, but also know a great turner does not rely on his tooling to make up for lack of skills. That said, I STILL want better tooling! LOL. Love to hear that others have such a wide variety of lathes that they use.

jj9ball

I use a Powermatic 3520B for bowls, table legs, and pool cues. I have a Jet 1221vs that I just got that seems to be pretty good for pens. I also use a Grizzly 4003 metal lathe for kitless pens and pool cues. I spent much of my first 7 years turning pens on a Grizzly 12X20 with variable speed. The electronics finally went out on it earlier this year. I had around 4500 hours on the lathe so it lasted quite a while. It was built heavier duty than the jet, but the jet is a better quality machine.

I started on a Ridgid spindle lathe from Home Depot... but it had an odd size spindle ... 3/4 x 12 I think, so was really had to find accessories for it, it was too fast to turn bowls (minimum speed was 750) and shortly after I got it, Home Depot stopped selling lathes... my son gave me his Jet 1014 Manual that I used for a few years before I got my Jet 1442.... it has been a work horse... but if it ever goes, I'll go for a EVS next time.

jjjaworski

Most of my work is done on a Oneway 1224 I have had for about 12 years.
I also have a Jet 1014 and a Bonnie Klein mini lathe I picked up used at a good price for small work.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Had a 1224, sold it a couple of months ago due to some health concerns, found this one on sale for what I sold my original one for. So I bought it!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Oneway 1224 lathe.jpg
    Oneway 1224 lathe.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,090
Last edited:

Bill Arnold

I bought a new PSI Turncrafter 12" VS lathe a last month to replace a Jet 1236 I had for about 14 years. There was nothing wrong with the Jet and I sold it for a good price. I wanted an electronic variable speed lathe. I've been very pleased with the PSI for the pens, stoppers and other small items I turn. I've done a couple of small bowls and want to do more as I gain experience.

Trees2Pens

I'm happy

Have been using PSI 10" Turncrafter variable speed with extension bed.

I'm happy with it. For what I am doing, the extension bed took up too much room and ended up removing it.

John :)

Mortalis

Bought a Delta 46-460 about a year ago. Plenty of lathe for what I've been using it for. Only issue I had was I had to shim the head to align with the tailstock.

TimS124

The vast majority of my turnings are done on an early Nova 3000 with DC motor (variable speed).

I also have a Jet 1014VS which is great of small things like pens. I like this lathe better than my Nova for the little projects because the small size means fast start/stop times.

At a local maker space (TechShop), I have access to a PowerMatic 4224 for anything really big I want to turn. Start/stop times are too long for doing small/light projects like pens efficiently. Sure, it can turn them, but the smaller lathes are much more efficient...

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I've been using a HF 10x18 for alm ost a year how and I like it even with having move the belt to change speed. I'm planning on getting a Rikon 70-100 next year and pass my HF down to my Grandson Scott.

Ironwood

I have a Record CL3 that I have used for the last 20 years. It has never been ideal for penturning, a few months ago I got a GPW midi lathe.
I got the 6 speed model, I retrofitted it with a 1hp 3ph motor and a VFD, also built a stand for it.

I put 3 speed Vicmarc pulleys on it, with it on the high speed range I get 0 - 3500rpm, which is ideal for penturning.

Here are a few photos of the (nearly) finished set-up, and some of the build.
I have it set up in my workshop now with dust extraction via a 6" pipe to my cyclone. I still have to put a door on the left hand side of the cabinet, and build some drawers for the right hand side.
I am very happy with this set-up so far.

Attachments

• DSC_6377.jpg
    DSC_6377.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_6364.jpg
    DSC_6364.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_6368.jpg
    DSC_6368.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_6356.jpg
    DSC_6356.jpg