Are there any divers here ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thank you, Sam ... I will watch that. Archaeology fascinates me ... always did ... but it is hard to make a living at it ... making pens is hard, but .... !!!

Oh, I just realized .... I don't have a netflix subscription .... do I need one ? I guess I'll find out. No TV either.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mal, have you watched this documentary: https://www.netflix.com/title/80217857 ?

If you like archeology I bet you'll like it, I know I did.

I just finished the movie - It was very entertaining - TRULY.

However, as a diver with 500+ salt water dives, I soon became concerned at some of the diving techniques. (i.e., standing on the artifacts, ripping them out of the sand before proper sand excavation techniques were employed, poor cabling for the artifacts as they were drawn to the surface, not keeping the artifacts in salt water until properly delivered to marine archeologists to catalogue and work with, walking in the sand without regard of what is 2" below... etc.) And this is from an uneducated recreational diver, not certified as a wreck diver (but, I have been to this rodeo).

Needless to say , after I finished the show, I Googled it's title and found this: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/damien-hirst-shipwreck_us_58ece936e4b0ca64d91959c0.

I was not surprised. (My family has over 6,000 combined dives, my oldest son has a degree in Archeology, and this show was a scam!). But, very entertaining! I will watch (with a bit of skepticism :rolleyes:) the others in their series.

But - FUN! And I'll send the link to my kids! :):):)

Dehn0045

Thanks Mark, I was thinking some of the stuff didn't seem right, too good to be true, you know. But I didn't take the time to check it out, and now I feel like a toad. Oh well, it was a fun hour. I guess the kid in me wishes these kind of things were true...

magpens

Thanks for your reply, Mark. . Very interesting.

Now isn't that just the way things often come to us ? . We start with great expectations ... uh ... most of the time ... and then we find out the truth ... uh .... sometimes. . But as Sam said ... the kid in us is expectant ... and wants to believe ! . And keeps wanting ...

No, I am not talking about politics ... but in general ... things are rarely what they seem at first. . Sometimes they are worse ... and sometimes even worse than that ...

So, I suppose that's the way with movies and documentaries also.

I was looking forward to watching that netflix documentary. . But I don't have a netflix subscription. . And, actually, I don't even have a TV. . So I have been wondering for several days how I am going to view it. . Maybe online ? . I dunno.

Well, now I am spared the problem. . If it ain't true I don't even want to watch it ... well, it might be enjoyable to leave the beach in the boat and see the pretty colored wavy water and then go underwater with the camera ... but if it ain't true, what's the point ?

I would love to meet your son, Mark. . Archaeology was my first love. . But on thinking about aspiring to be an archaeologist I realized, after a while, that you have to be the cream of the cream to make a living at that. . So I became a physicist ... ha ... not much of a living in that either, unless you are the cream of the cream ... so ... eventually I became a teacher ... of sorts ... no training ... you know those kinds of teachers ?

And then, after that, a pen turner .... Oh ! ... LOVE that moolah rolling in ... NOT ! . Everything is going OUT ! . But I love it !!

I still love Archaeology and I subscribe to newsfeeds on the internet.

As I said, I would love to meet your son, Mark. . If he is anything like his father ... ! . Hey, I haven't even met his father yet ! . Oh the constraints of geography !! ... and other things. ... maybe it's like being told you should watch a video and then being told ... oh well, you know what I mean ... that's life. . I am sure meeting you would be a great experience ... I think it would be fun ... you know how to express yourself and tell the truth !

I knew you are a diver, Mark ... don't ask me how ... I dunno ... so I knew that your head would break the surface in this thread sooner or later !!

Seriously, Mark ... I hope it might be possible to meet you someday ... and turn some chevrons ! . Maybe watch a true netflix video.

Thanks for the heads down on that documentary !

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Mal!

OK, so I do have relatives on my Wife's side that are in Corvalis & Eugene, OR, so YES, we may actually meet!!! (I will seriously consider this - no joke). You could give me lessons on metal lathes, and I could give you lessons on... dimensions of veneer (a sexy topic!).

TRULY, I enjoyed the show. The underwater video was exceptional, so no complaints here, except that the divers were not being polite to the corals (don't grab, don't rub, don't touch, don't step on, etc...). I did enjoy it, and the outcome was fine, I just hope others will see through the silk.

My son Chris is doing fine (mostly skydiving) and is a teacher at a HS in Chicago. I hope to do a few dives this June with him; I'm slowing down, but he keeps me going.

I'll look at my wife's calendar and see if she is visiting Corvalis. We might get a small group together and I could bring the IAP Collection???

But SPAM... I'll see! :cowboy:

Cheers, Mark

As a kid I was all into Archaeology and still like some of the shows on TV... never was a diver (went through 4 years in Navy as a non-swim), but loved the idea/concept of diving. When Jacques Cousteau's shows were on TV, never missed one. Still would rather Planet Earth, the blue planet than any other show...

I saw an article on either Yahoo news or a story on Firefox that they had discovered where the USS Lexington lies in the Coral Sea. She was sunk after being bombed and torpedoed repeatedly by the Japanese, then torpedoed by the USS Phelps to prevent capture... with today's technology, wonder if they might try to raise her?

JohnU

I would love to dive a real wreck and not the sunken bus and boats I've been around. I would also love to underwater dredge for gold now that Gold Rush has been on tv. lol I have a little experience in diving for work, recovering evidence, but it has been several years since my last and nothing in my area is remotely fun compared to what you guys have seen in salt water. I haven't watched the video yet, my work computer wont let me access it, but I still enjoy seeing the recovery of things like that. Then again, I liked the biker build off shows and would love to build a bike but would never ride one. I just enjoy the creativeness of it all. Thanks for sharing.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
My diving ambitions were short lived after getting tangled up in a Jellyfish :redface: It was fun up to that moment. :biggrin:

Top Bottom