Which smartphone? Iphone 6 plus vs Galaxy 5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I will be getting a smartphone plan next month and am really confused as to what to buy. I don't do any games. I THINK I like the size of the iphone 6 plus. Any insight appreciated.​

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
iPhone - I don't play games either

I should elaborate - I currently have an iPhone 5 and will soon upgrade to an iPhone 6. I also have an iPad, so I don't really have a need for the 6 Plus. If I didn't have an iPad, it would be a difficult choice between a 6 or 6+.

Last edited:

avbill

I have a iphone 4 The pen image is also small I just tried the same pawn images on a iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 plus. I personal like the 6 plus. I made a small slide show to show potential clients ... The image is sharper on the 6 plus. and the customer at art show will have a easier time signing on the iPhone-6plus. I will be getting the 6-plus soon.

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I recently got the 6 and works fine for me but also have an Ipad air. Make a replica of the different sizes and see if it fits the pocket where you want to carry. 6 Plus is easier to read but harder to carry.

TonyL

have both sort of: i5s and Galaxy 3. I like the G3 over the i5, but know that I am in the minority.

Sataro

I have used an iPhone since they first came out. Decided last year to try the Samsung Galaxy S 4. Samsung was a good phone except I hated texting on it. Did not seem to work very well compared to the iPhones. So I just sold the Samsung & bought myself the iPhone 6 plus. Really enjoying it. The only issue is carrying it. I just can't get used to carrying it in my pocket. Luckily I used to do a lot of leather work. Still got all of my tools, so I think I will just make a belt case to carry it in.

StuartCovey

My brother (who is a IT manager) has a Galaxy 5s and loves. My sister has the iPhone 6 and loves it too!

I think it comes down to what you will be using it for. iPhone's are more user friendly, easy to use for those of us who want a simple easy to use phone. Whereas the Galaxy 5s is an Android which means you can do more with it as far as customize the software on it, etc., more for the tech savy people.

PR_Princess

I upgraded from a iphone 4s to a 6. I looked at the 6+, but ultimately decided on the plain old 6, just because of the portability.

I have to say that I do love the extra features that Apple incorporated into the 6! ( BTW No games for me either, but I do just about everything else with it.:))

One thing that I would recommend if you decide on an iphone, is to get either the 64GB or 128GB version as the iOS 8 is a bit of memory hog. (I have 128GB as I am also a digital packrat).

Last edited:

tbroye

Wife and I both have iPhone 5's she has iPad, I have iPad air upgraded from a mini also I have a iMac love them all. In my case the phone the pad and Mac are all interconnected so I can receive or place a call on either and start something on one and finish on a another. Will be able upgrade the phones in April don't think we will get the iPhone 6's at our age we don't need all the bells and whistles.

Sawdust1825

Take a look at the LG G3. I know it's not what you asked but the best display and an amazing camera for starters. It also gets excellent reception. I went to it from a G4 and I couldn't be happier.

designer

The company supplied and Iphone for several years. Both the 4 and 5. I carry an Android also for personal use. In the shop I could not hear a call on the Iphone. It was fun to play with in my office but worthless in the shop. For a number of reasons I prefer my android.

donnalleyd

I second the G3 comment. Just got the phone and love it. The G3 is not loaded down with extra software gimmicks and the screen is amazing. Only thing that takes some getting used to is the buttons on the back. But even that is not too hard.

I am not a big iphone fan my mom has the 6 and whenever she sends me a picture via text I never get it. Can't figure out why because it is not true for anyone else. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. For me android was it since day one but I am fairly technology inclined (27 year old engineer). Technology has always been part of my life.

Good luck

Dave Turner

It comes down to whether you want to be in the iOS camp or the Android camp. Many people love working with Apple products and if that's what you are familiar with, stick with it. Coming from a Windows and Android background, I get frustrated every time I try to use iOS and would never consider it for a phone.

I recently bought a OnePlus One phone for my wife. It's a fantastic phone that compares with the other top tier Android phones at half the price.

seamus7227

SAMSUNG Note 2, coming up on my renewal period and will go to the Note 4, it features 4K video technology and the "Notes" are like having my computer at my fingertips! And IMO, Samsung's "Swipe" technology for texting is the best thing since sliced bread! No more worries about "fat" finger texting! LOL

donnalleyd

SAMSUNG Note 2, coming up on my renewal period and will go to the Note 4, it features 4K video technology and the "Notes" are like having my computer at my fingertips! And IMO, Samsung's "Swipe" technology for texting is the best thing since sliced bread! No more worries about "fat" finger texting! LOL

Just an FYI google keyboard (available for free in the play store) has the same functionality and better predictive capabilities in my opinion. You don't have to have samsung for that capability

kovalcik

Both are good. Just depends on which operating system you like better. Personally, I find android much more intuitive than apple iOS. My wife and daughters prefer apple. The other thing I like about the galaxy is that you can replace the battery for around $20 after a year or so when the battery life starts getting short. Can't do that with the iPhone.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'm due for an upgrade of my 4s next month. I'd like to get the processing power of the 6, but in the form factor of the 5 (and that's barely "pocket sized"). I am not sure how the phone industry evolved to the size of phones currently available without regard to how we're supposed to carry them.

Timbo

I use to work in IT before retiring. The Apple vs. "other" wars has been going on forever. For the average person, most of what you see in commercials, read in magazines, or hear from your friends is hype, and not relevant to the way the average user uses the device. The bottom line is that both will work just fine. There is no earth shaking differences between an iPhone or Samsung s series in the quality of the screen, when making a call, connecting to the internet, texting, taking photos, or installing and using apps. If you're already invested in the Apple world and own their other products, and see benefits in integrating them, then buy an iPhone. If not, you wont go wrong buying an Android phone if lower cost, and not being locked into a proprietary product line is attractive to you.

jsolie

I have the iPhone 6+. It's huge. I put it in an Otterbox so I don't get it as scuffed up out in the shop. It's even bigger. I like the bigger screen for reading PDF files and other reading.

The battery life is acceptable. At my day job, I'm basically in a big concrete cave up on a hill so the phone is always pinging away looking for the one maybe two ticks of signal of either cellular or guest wifi. It's regularly around 55-65% when I leave work (currently at 72% so today's been a good day).

At home where I don't have signal quality issues, it'll be maybe 80% at the end of the day. My youngest son has one as well and he gets two days off a charge, and that's with an unknown amount of chatting with friends, playing games and watching old TV shows on Netflix.

Hope this helps.

magier412

I have the iPhone 6 plus and love it. Was a bit concerned at first that it would be too big for my smaller hands, but it isn't at all. In the end, I went with the 6 plus for a couple of reasons...

1. I've tried other phones and always seem to come back to the iPhone - I'm just comfortable with the way they work and they integrate well into my mostly Apple world :)

2. The screen is a bit bigger which is nice when I'm watching movies or TV on it (airplanes, on the road, traveling)

3. The screen resolution is a bit better than the 6 (see above)

4. The camera is a bit more robust than the 6 (auto image stabilization).

I don't find the 6plus too big to carry around or handle and frankly really like it. It isn't even awkward to talk on it...lol.

All in all, I'd highly recommend it, but when it comes down to it, it's what system you are used to and what you like. They are all fairly similar in the top end...

Just my two cents...

:)

knowltoh

:)I appreciate all the comments. I am probably going with the Apple 6 plus. Two of my kids, and two grandkids use Apple. I will be able to have my own personal help line.:)

Top Bottom