Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Without making this any kind of political thread a simple question. Has anyone who makes Bullet type pens or all these PSI bolt action pens run into resistance from selling these?? Have you or anyone heard of problems with entering schools with them??

I have made the original Bullet style pens and also made them into key chains over the years and when I sold them at shows I refused to sell to kids. I would sell to parents and told them of the possibilities of getting questioned on them and it was no longer my responsibility. I still made some sales and this was going back about 6 or 7 years ago. I had since stopped making and selling them.

But I have a few left and was thinking of trying to sell them out this year. But with the heightened state of what has been happening around the world and in our schools is this something to be concerned with even more?? I ask this because I see more and more of these type kits being produced by PSI and and I am sure they are big sellers or else they wouldn't be continuing them, So what is the feeling of the masses here and is this something you have encountered in your sales?? Thanks.

Added a photo of some of mine.

Attachments

• pensandkeychains.jpg
    pensandkeychains.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 169
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
John, I have never run into, or heard about any problems with these. I was told once that a maker with a pen case full of them received a little extra attention from the TSA at an airport, but ultimately was allowed to carry them on to the plane.

lorbay

My wife and I have never got through Airport Security with these when leaving from Canada.:eek:
Lin

MRDucks2

If there are any issues it would likely go back to something you have mentioned before in other aspects, John. That would location and the market you are in.

I doubt there would be much resistance to them in most of the South, Midwest and West where weapons, shooting and hunting are common and accepted.

I also expect all of those areas have pockets where there could be issues. Parts of Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, even areas in Houston where I lived for a while.

From my experience years ago, Central California would have no concerns with them except some parts of Fresno because of high crime and a few of the coastal villages because of demographics. San Franscisco and chunks of LA may not be so receptive.

No experience or exposure to much of the east coast, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Woodchipper

I think it would depend on where you are, traveling through airports, etc. I attended a Hunter Education workshop where the speaker used pieces of dowel with one end painted orange as some schools won't even allow non-working firearms on campus. Story is told of an elderly lady who had here knitting needles confiscated at an airport. Evidently she looked like a terror threat.
Edit- taking two bolt action, one lever action, and a cartridge pen to a meeting as auction items.

Last edited:

Anglesachse

Here in Germany
In have 10 of these pen that are always on my stand.
Most of my customers don`t even notice that they are in the form of a bullet.
And when they do its a case of " thats cool for hunters.
Never had a complaint or negative comments.

WriteON

I tend to donate pens for charitable events. I will ask if bullet or rifle pens are acceptable. Some people do not want to hear the word...gun/bullet..whatever. I will say at that point that these are great for Military and Law Enforcement gifts and was simply asking as a courtesy.
The fact is the Bullet pen is the coolest pen to have for the desk top and as a good writer. Display and sell them.....nobody is forced to buy one. It is a PEN...not a statement.

TSA was all upset about the PSI bolt action pen kits I had in my carry on, she screamed at me for 5 minutes before finally allowing me to keep them, thank God she did not see the huge fireman´s axe on the firefighter pen kit !

dogcatcher

TSA was all upset about the PSI bolt action pen kits I had in my carry on, she screamed at me for 5 minutes before finally allowing me to keep them, thank God she did not see the huge fireman´s axe on the firefighter pen kit !

8 years ago I made the cartridge pens for each of the guys that were at my Vietnam reunion, about 60 pens. Most of them had flown in for the reunion. I offered to mail their for them so they would not have a problem with TSA. They all took their pens, one by one they reported that they had no problem with clearing TSA.

3 years ago I made bottle openers using 50bmg brass for them. Again they all cleared TSA without a hitch.

As to customer negative comments, I have never had any customer have anything to say about the bullet pens or the rifle case bottle openers. But if I did, I think some of my other customers would laugh them out of the building.

mecompco

I've never encountered any negative comments at craft fairs about my various gun-themed pens. Just did a show yesterday, and by far the most picked up and fondled pen was the PSI .50 roller ball (which incidentally sold for $49.95).

Charlie_W

My wifey teaches high school and in our school system, there is to be absolutely no weapons, Guns, bullets or anything even resembling them allowed on school property....Not even a Tee shirt. In the Tech Ed classes, they definitely are not allowed to turn these items.

Should a student accidentally bring a pen of this type to school and realize it, they are to go to an administrator in the main office immediately and explain. The pen would be held for a parent to come and pick up.

MRDucks2

My wifey teaches high school and in our school system, there is to be absolutely no weapons, Guns, bullets or anything even resembling them allowed on school property....Not even a Tee shirt. In the Tech Ed classes, they definitely are not allowed to turn these items.

Should a student accidentally bring a pen of this type to school and realize it, they are to go to an administrator in the main office immediately and explain. The pen would be held for a parent to come and pick up.

Like I said, all depends on location.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

monophoto

As others have correctly observed, the answer to the original question is probably very much influenced by the standards/culture of the community where pens are offered for sale.

But I see a larger question here - I have the sense that PSI focuses entirely too much on pen designs that appeal to specific niches, and does not offer enough pens whose designs are more universal. I understand that a fraction of the potential market like guns; other fractions like dogs (the newest design introduced in the most recent PSI catalog), or celtic patterns, or steampunk designs, or gaudy victorian ornamentation, etc. But it seems to me that as a marketing exercise, it would make sense to come up with designs that appeal to much larger segments of the overall population.

What is missing is the understated, sleek elegance of simplicity. I would find owning a pen designed around a niche theme to be very tiring, and I wouldn't use it much. But a simple design without the tacky ornamentation would appeal to a larger fraction of the potential market, and would be something that they would use continuously.

Times have changed... I graduated from a small high school in a small Texas town in 1960... it wasn't unusual for some of the farm boys to arrive at school with the rifle in a rack behind the driver's seat... nothing was ever said.... 'course we didn't have on grounds parking at the time... all those with cars parked on the street around the school.

greenacres2

What is missing is the understated, sleek elegance of simplicity. I would find owning a pen designed around a niche theme to be very tiring, and I wouldn't use it much. But a simple design without the tacky ornamentation would appeal to a larger fraction of the potential market, and would be something that they would use continuously.

That's what I like about the Caballero (Smitty's from Exotic) and Jr. Gent. Even the satin/chrome centered cigar from Exotic (and maybe Berea??) just has a nice classy line with chrome or satin replacing the black center band.
earl

jttheclockman

As some have pointed out about location and this is true to a point. The way the world is changing with political correctness and the shootings all around in many different states I would have thought this notion or thought process would be spreading. Did not even think about the airport angle and yes that could be a problem.

I do not like any of PSI themed pen kits so I do not buy them. I will probably try to sell off the remaining lot I have made and see how it goes this winter sales. I have a few pen stands that are or have bullets. I may convert those to a hunting themed situation.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

WriteON

; said:
political correctness

I got robbed at gun point in 1980. I should hate gun related items and be an anti but I'm not.
Sorry to Jack the thread. But yes we have to believe in what we do. I will not make or sell anything smoke related. Pens resembling cigars with the ashes...Vape pipes. As for PSI their pens are not traditional but quite novel. Are we trying to sell pens people will enjoy as a desk or conversation piece... I am. It's all about fun for me. The gun related pens are real unique...especially the Civil War pen. The .50cal bullet pen is a great desk top paperweight. Most people are fascinated by them.

I might reconsider making bottle stoppers as they are alcohol related. Letter openers are very dagger looking and can be dangerous. And the Yo-Yo kit? Sounds "hood" related.
Let's not get carried away. Do what you are comfortable with. It's our hobby. It's our world in a world.

Last edited:

turncrazy43

I do several craft shows per year and the majority are at schools. Some of my better sellers are bolt action pens. Never have received bad feed back from school staff or customers. Young boys are always drawn to the bolt action pens. They are usually with their parent or parents. I always caution that if they purchase one they should never try to take them to school or to the airport to fly as there could be adverse reactions with the current zero tolerance attitudes about guns.
Turncrazy43

Top Bottom