Porch Pirate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I know there are not many scrollers here but this topic is really for everyone too. There is a gentleman that has a web site and a blog and he does a scrollsawn pattern everyday of the year or at least tries to and they are free and his name is Steve Good. You can look his site up if you want to.

Evidently he had an eventful day today in that he had one of those Porch Pirates invade his property today. He happen to be home and caught it all on his security camera. He turned the liscense # over to the police but it seems they were bogus. He is actually asking if anyone in Kentucky knows this person. Here is the video link

https://youtu.be/_jxURarow7s

My question to you all has this happen to you before and what was the outcome.??? This time of the year you have to be very careful. seems like you are hearing more and more of this stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
This was in Lexington. It's all over the news. Apparently this guy has hit quite a few houses. Hopefully they catch him!!

Herb G

My wife ordered some Pandora jewelry for herself recently & had it delivered to her work. I wasn't going to be home that day, so she decided to have it sent there instead.
A receptionist has to sign for all the packages delivered there.

So, my wife tracks it, it says it's delivered. she goes to the front desk, no package. She goes to security & views the video tape.
Sure enough, girl at the front counter swiped it, it's in her purse.

Security approaches her, one guy blocks the door, other guy searches her purse. They found my wife's package. Since she did not leave the property with it, they couldn't charge her with the theft.
Then, they went back & watched weeks worth of videos, only to find out this girl had stolen all kinds of stuff.

Computers, I-Pads, you name it. They called the police, had her arrested, and she's still sitting in jail. :redface:

sbwertz

I have a row of plants across the front of my house so you cannot see my front porch from the street. You actually have to walk up my driveway and up my sidewalk to see if there is a box by my door.

Sometimes they actually follow the delivery trucks around, so it isn't perfect, but it has protected me so far.

I also have a LARGE noisy dog who lets me know if anyone comes up my driveway or sidewalk, and HATES the UPS truck (the driver pounds on the door because he knows I can't hear the doorbell if I am in the back of the house or in the shop). So I always know when Big Brown or FedEx are within a block of my house LOL.

My UPS man generally comes by after dark... being on a rural route, he's always late and like Sharon, my inside dog goes nuts whenever anyone walks up on the porch. He doesn't offer to bite, but sure makes a noise. My outside dog loves everyone and would probably help the thief carry the packages away. 'course he would be covered with dog spit where she had licked him.

JimB

Never had the problem but we don't get a lot of packages. We did get a UPS delivery the other day and my wife answered the door. The packages were heavy so the driver placed them inside the door on the floor for my wife and commented he was glad she was home so he didn't need to leave them outside.

When we do get packages we watch the tracking so we know when the delivery will be. We can hear the truck when it pulls up.

Herb G

Speak of the devil. This was on our morning news today.
Porch Pirates

These 2 clowns followed the trucks around. :mad:

One of my neighbors filled a large box with dog poop & left it on their front porch awhile back. When he showed me the video on his phone from his security cameras, I laughed so hard I almost passed out. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
I would have gone downstairs with a loaded shotgun!

And do what.... give that to them also?

Theft isn't legally a justification for deadly force. Everyone knows that and they will just run.
If you are not in fear for your life, someone else's life, or great bodily injury, just stay inside, call the police and be a good witness.
Just keep in mind, thieves usually have a firearm as well. If you point a firearm at them, they are justified in shooting you using the above defense... they were in fear for their life.

Also, some states have an intimidation law and you could end up in jail.

Anything in that package can be replaced. Lives can not be replaced, whether it's lost or just ruined.

Stay safe and be a good witness, it's only things.

campzeke

Not everything is shipped via US mail but, I have an online account with the post office and almost everything shipped to my address gets logged as an incoming package and shows up in my account. I get a text message when the package leaves the post office for delivery and I also get a text massage as soon as the carrier scans the package for delivery... Often before he even get out of the truck. I can also log into my account and leave specific delivery instructions like ... leave at side door. At least I know when a package is coming and when it is dropped off. I also keep a 55 gallon drum of whoop ass next to the back door just in case I need it. :biggrin:

sbwertz

Slightly off topic, but funny! Years ago I had a 6 month old doberman pup. I answered my door to find an Electrolux Vacuum salesman at the door, carrying a demo vacuum and all it's attachments. I told him I wasn't interested and started to close the door. He actually stuck his foot in the door so it wouldn't close! I snapped my fingers and my dobie appeared beside me.

Now this was a puppy who was completely harmless, but loved to play, and would chase you if you ran. I told him I would give him a 30 second head start and then I would let the dog out. He said "You're kidding!" I said "Try me!". He backed up and started walking down the sidewalk when he got to the sidewalk, I let the dog out. He took off across the street to where his car was parked, shedding pieces of vacuum all across the street. I called the dog back in and watched him get out and gather up all the attachments and drive away.

I live on a cul de sac, and my best friend also lived on a cul de sac behind my house. It was about 2 blocks to walk from my front door to hers, but our back gates were only 15 feet apart across the alley. I went over to her house to tell her about the salesman.

While I was there the doorbell rang. She was out back, so I went to answer the door. She had a large female collie, who happened to be in heat and would try to get out every time you opened the front door, so as I opened the door I grabbed the dog by the collar. It was the same salesman.

He looked at me, and at the even BIGGER dog I was holding, and turned around and took off. When she came in she found me all but rolling on the floor laughing!

Out here UPS and FedEx have 2 drivers per vehicle and they stop every so often to see if people are following them.

One town just caught a ring of 10 people stealing from porches that were following UPS, FedEx and USPS vehicles by replacing the 2nd driver with an undercover officer.

jttheclockman

Out here UPS and FedEx have 2 drivers per vehicle and they stop every so often to see if people are following them.

One town just caught a ring of 10 people stealing from porches that were following UPS, FedEx and USPS vehicles by replacing the 2nd driver with an undercover officer.

It really has become a thing these days. You can request a signature when having packages delivered something like a certified letter but how many people do this. I get packages delivered almost every day but what I have found is I have more problems with the USPS not delivering said packages or being robbed at the hub or somewhere in the chain. Had to chase many packages down for this and some are total losses. Just can not win. Where this a will there is a way and thiefs find the ways.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would have gone downstairs with a loaded shotgun!

And do what.... give that to them also?

Theft isn't legally a justification for deadly force. Everyone knows that and they will just run.

Not in all States. In some states you have the legal right (whether someone else agrees or not) to protect your own property, just as much in theft situations as in bodily threat situations.

They DON'T always just run! They want your wallet also if they feel they can get it from you. Drugs and alcohol does many things to the mind. Lack of morals does even more to the criminal mindset.

Last edited:
When I first moved to Houston area, my normal working day was usually from about 7 am to about 9 or 10 pm... my UPS man lived a couple of blocks from me and would save all my packaged until after I got home, then deliver them at night.

Which was a good thing... any package sitting on my front step could be seen driving up the street from one end, but the porch couldn't be seen by any of my neighbors... for a few years I was the last house on the block and my garage blocked all my neighbor's view of the house.

Terredax

Banned
Not in all States. In some states you have the legal right (whether someone else agrees or not) to protect your own property, just as much in theft situations as in bodily threat situations.

They DON'T always just run! They want your wallet also if they feel they can get it from you. Drugs and alcohol does many things to the mind. Lack of morals does even more to the criminal mindset.

Deadly force is only justified if a life is threatened or great bodily harm is eminent, in any state. It's a federal law...see ATF.
In most states, you can protect your home and curtilage, but not with deadly force, unless a life is threatened. And it will still cost you more out of pocket than the package is worth. Have a very good attorney (a significant part of the out of pocket).
You can not use deadly force over a package on the porch.
You can not use deadly force because someone punches you.
In most cases, deadly force requires a force able felony to be in progress.

Most thieves WILL run. They are cowards.
And as I stated, a lot of them carry themselves. Not the best idea to confront them over a replaceable package. Who's life is worth a package?
Yours...theirs? And if drugs are involved, they will not hesitate to take your life.

If someone intends to present a firearm, they should know their states laws VERY well. Ignorance of the law is no excuse and there isn't any do overs.

Anyone that takes a life over a package without meeting the above mentioned criteria, will get a guilty from myself and most likely the other eleven jurors.

Skie_M

I agree with John, deadly force isn't to be taken lightly ...

But that doesn't stop me from stepping out onto my porch with a shotgun loaded with rock salt (and 2 buckshots behind the first 2 rock salts, with a deer slug as my final backup).

Top Bottom