Pen turning that rebuilds lives!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jontello

Hello everyone,

Not sure where this should go but wanted to start dialogue and have a bunch of questions for this group. Not sure if this is the right place for this post or not but here we go.

My wife and I had spent 3 years in Italy and moved back a year ago when I started pen turning. I have loved making pens and want to do more with it. We work for a Christian non profit and are going to be heading back mid next year to Italy for at least another 4 years. I will be bringing all of my tools for pen turning just not the lathe. I will have to buy that there. My wife started an organization that helps rescue victims of sex trafficking in all of Italy. One of the needs that the women have is to find an alternative job to make money. This is where the pen making comes in.

When we return our hope is to be able to train the women to turn high end pens from Italian materials all made in Italy. We will sell them back here in USA and hopefully different parts of Europe. I am still working these things out. I am also hoping to maybe teach them to make blanks and other things for the pen community back here. I was wondering what the interest in this might be? Would you guys be interested in buying blanks made by rescued victims that are trying to rebuild their lives? Still working on the full business proposal on this.

Also do any of you know vendors in Italy? Where can I get acrylic blanks made in Italy from. I would like to initially buy the materials over there then buy them from vendors here in the states and have things sent back to Italy. Doesn't make sense does it? Are there any manufacturers who make pen kits in Italy that you guys know of? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys have.

Jon

Here is my wife's organization just in case you are curious.

Tesori Raggianti Anti Trafficking Italy

This organization we are partnering with and they will be the people selling the pens made in Italy. We will also be teaching the women how to make leather bags and other things.

Home - Girl Set Free

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Selling pens is not easy ... especially somebody else's pens. I would buy Alumilite blanks though, provided there is something unique about them and the price is competitive.

I think that making and selling leather bags is more likely to succeed.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
It looks like we have 34 members in Italy. You might try contacting some of them to see where they get their supplies & chat with them about the pen market in Italy & the rest of Europe.

Just click on Members List at the top of the page, then over to the right, click on Search Members. When the little box pops up, click on Advanced Search. Then enter Italy in the Location field. The list of our Italian members will show the date they joined, the date of their last visit to IAP and the number of posts they've made. Use that info to determine which ones to send a pm to for more direct info.

Best wishes in your efforts. Sounds like a great organization.

alphageek

Former Moderator
First of all, I wish you luck in your endeavor. Please don't take any of the following as a negative, but rather some thought patterns to help you along.

First off, I think that "pen turning" is a very narrow field to teach. I've done it - I get the drive, but the number of people that can make a living from it is relatively small.

Second, you talk about making pens from italian materials all made in Italy. Pen kits are going to be a big part of the equation. Not only will they be not made in Italy (that I know of), there will be a pretty significant expense and cause you a good chunk of capital.

Third - Italian materials - usually things like celluoid, etc.. Many are vintage - to find an active source will be a tough thing in itself.

Personally, my suggestion is to look for more items where the labor they are investing is the money maker. There should be a good selection of local woods (like olive, etc). I would look for other turned or wood items to sell where the material investment is low and thus the capital investment is smaller. If you're going to start by teaching and hoping to sell high end pens, there is lots of costs up front (kit costs, material costs, learning mistakes, etc).

You might also want to consider one of the new crowdfunding site too once you lock in closer.

No matter what you end up doing - good luck!!

Top Bottom