Need help in patio layout

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I want to put 16"x16" pavers down and then put an octagon gazebo on them. I am trying to figure out how much sqft I need. I also want to leave about a foot around the gazebo for weedwacking without hitting the structure.. The sides measure 37 1/4". Thank you..

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 125
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

I want to put 16"x16" pavers down and then put an octagon gazebo on them. I am trying to figure out how much sqft I need. I also want to leave about a foot around the gazebo for weedwacking without hitting the structure.. The sides measure 37 1/4". Thank you..

What i would do is turn your drawing into a square and find the square ft of it. Length x Width will give you the square ft of that entire square gazebo. Then find the square ft of each of your corner triangles shown in the pic, this is Length x Width divided by 2, so in this case all 4 corners are the same, so find the sq ft of one of them and multiply it by 4 and and then subtract that number from the total square and you have your remaining sq ft for your octagon.

Hope this helps

Justin

Timebandit

You need your measurements from 1-5 and 7-3, for the total length and width plus the extra foot you want to leave around it, so thats 2 extra feet, one on each side, in each direction.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I cheated and used software it will be about 90 inches across You will need about an 8ft x8ft square for the gazebo. Depending on your pavers you may want 8.6 x 8.6 or 9x9

Adding picture Its not exactly 37.25 but close enough.
attachment.php

Attachments

• gazebo.jpg
    gazebo.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

ottotroll

If I did the math right, by extending out the excircle radius to @50", in a perfect wold you would need 39.77 - 16"x16" pavers, lol... or auoun 71 sq ft.
I know... too much nerd showing here, but I always loved word problems, lol...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What Mredburn said
The area of your octagon is about 6700 sq in or about 46.5 sq ft
Add roughly 24 sq ft for the border and you're at a total of about 70 sq ft minimum, so Mike's suggestion for the overall size is right on

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
you could have also mathematically figured it out by taking the square of 37.25
(37.25 x 37.25) divide that by 2, find the square root of that number. Multiply that number by 2 and add 37.25. that would give you the width.

Or pay thousands of dollars for 3d software and use it instead.

Last edited:

plantman

Mike; Here is my old fashioned math. Your octagon is going to be about 90" as stated above. You are going to need 10' side to side to give you the 12" overlap you want. At 16" X 16", 7 tiles across, with a little sand between, will give you the 113.71 inches you need without cutting any tiles, for a total of 49 tiles. If you want to keep the 12" border all the way arond, you are going to have to do some cutting. Buy yourself a diamond cut off blade made for cutting stone or cement that fits your power hand saw ( HF ) and a good dust mask, safety glasses, and hat. Also take note of the wind direction. Being that all your angles should be the same, I would make up a jig to cut and hold the tiles. I would also buy a few extra tiles so you have the same dye lot and color, and to replace the ones you are going to break or cut wrong. Trust me here !! You can always return extras or make a little walk way to put down a mat to wipe your feet. What type of structure are you going to put up ?? Wood, metal, screened, or open ?? Jim S

Last edited:

plantman

. What type of structure are you going to put up ?? Wood, metal, screened, or open ?? Jim S
It is going to be screened panels with 4 doors. 2 on each end. Also to mention, the patio will be square-just gazebo will be octagon.. Thanks guys..

Mike; Square is even better !! No cutting needed. Your biggest problem will be finding a way to secure it to the ground so the wind can't blow it away. Happy relaxing !1 Jim S

Top Bottom