Lou Metcalf has passed away.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Dang it Lou!

Dang... Just Dangit Lou...

I joined IAP a long time ago. Lou responded to a question I had, and we arranged a meet at the WC in Springfield. Thus began our friendship, which waned in recent years I'm sad to say.

We formed a little group... Lou, CarverKen, JimGo and myself. We met nearly every other week for over a year! We cast acrylic's at my house several times. I went to Lou's a few times to turn. We had fun together. We would have field trips to Colonial for wood scraps, then go to lunch.

I think I can credit Lou with the majority of my learning back then, along with Griz. Those two were good friends at one time, and had a falling out. I got stuck in the middle, and thought the world of both of them.

Recently JimGo had the opportunity to clean out a woodworkers shop after his passing (thanks Carl!). Jim asked me to help, and we both took a few items. That Rockwell lathe you saw posted was one of those items. (Happy to say that 98% of Carl's tools found good homes)

I popped back here to post for the Lathe giveaway, and tried to look up Lou.

I am just a couple of weeks too late... I'm sorry Lou, to not keep in touch. (He was a busy man when he got married!)

So, while late to the party, I am sad to hear of his passing. I can hear him right now just as clear as back then when I would express an idea (or a bad joke)... "Now Michael", he'd say, "Let me explain this to you"...

Godspeed Lou, friend, mentor, pal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I remember when I joined many years ago, even before the newer server ate our join dates up and we had to begin again. Lou's work was always above board and something that I did strive to achieve. I learned a lot from him and he never hesitated to answer any query of mine. He will now be with Eagle and Russ thinking and working on new pen methods and designs. I send condolences to his family on his death. I hope that their memories can help sustain them during this difficult period.

jimofsanston

Have just been informed that Lou Metcalf has passed away tonight. He was a member here on IAP for a good number of years and has helped advance pen turning. Sadly the details are missing as to what happened but more will follow I am sure.

RIP Lou. I had spoken with him a few times by PM in the past.

ojmirza

Wow Lou! you left a legacy! and had me in tears. Two of my precious pens were made by you nearly 10 years ago - I don't think i'll look at them the same.

The story goes...this will be a long one....I was travelling down the elevator in Rotana Hotel (Al-ain, UAE) in 2005 - there was an amazing design in the elevator that resonated with me. But I knew it could be improved; back then the phone camera's weren't as good so I took a picture from my digital camera - I took the picture at 3am or 4am - when the hotel guest wouldn't look at me weird and ideally when there was less traffic.

Taking the picture - I knew straight away this would look absolutely amazing on a writing instrument.

On my way back to Qatar en-route Perth, Australia, I presented the picture to a Persian jeweler called Kian design for the customized pen project - he whipped up a sketch of the pen and the glorious design.

It took me further 3 years to find an niche group of penturners - remember in the internet wasn't AS advanced but I was lucky. my initial request to "Marion Quill" got them to forward my request to Lou; solely because the project was advanced and I knew i'm in great hands.

After countless emails; pictures, references, sketches, material specifications and utilization of the writing instrument - we finally came to a consensus, drew up the 2 month milestone and paid a great sum via paypal.

I didn't even think twice of paying a fortune to a stranger who just took on my project - Lou seemed genuine and he was passionate about his work.

After few weeks; he sent me pictures of the half baked pen and I thought to myself; that this exactly what I had in mind for 3 years "bless you Lou mate".

The pen he created for me was Arabsque and can be seen in the link below:
Pen Makers Guild

I later got Lou to make another version of it in Black - that was even more amazing. Over the years I had been moving jobs and the pen started to deteriorate (the resin was fading, the shine was gone, the cap loosened) and I was frantically emailing Lou and so my search began for him.

Few hours ago - I found "Heritage Pens" on Etsy and mustered up the courage to ask for Lou; as this gentleman also creates pen - so I thought it MUST be him. Sadly, Jason from Heritage Pens of Etsy said there was no Lou that he knew of. I again iterated my story and he pointed me to this forum of Lou's demise.

I no longer care to repair my writing instruments; I'm just deeply saddened that my many years of search for this gentleman would result in this way. I thanked him many times, I made sure he knew that he's done a splendid job on my dear projects.

He was special - to create art from a design that lingered in mind after getting inspired by something that I saw in a desert hotel.

Rest in Peace Lou mate - you left a bloody good legacy!

Omer

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I will miss Lou.
Me and Lou butted heads sometimes but when it all came down to it, we worked well together. When Eagle passed away and Lou was working on getting a headstone for his grave, he was having difficulties with the local funeral home. we spoke about it and I took a ride over to the funeral home and got the owner moving a bit to get things done. I went to check that the stone was installed at the gravesite and sent pictures of it to Lou. We had a good relationship and I have missed talking with him over the past couple of years. Lou, be at peace wherever you are and if you are in Valhala I will see you some day.

gerryr

Holy ****. Somehow I fell out of the loop and just now discovered this. Lou was a friend and an enormous inspiration to me. It was him who encouraged me to apply to the PMG with my bone pen. We had a lot of interesting conversations by phone and email. First Eagle and then Lou. So long my friends.

johncrane

Very sad too read this, Lou was a awesome pen maker, friend and an inspiration i remember when he first started his line of fountain pen nibs, they where great i still have some nibs and parts left they will be very special to me now. RIP Lou!

jttheclockman

Holy ****. Somehow I fell out of the loop and just now discovered this. Lou was a friend and an enormous inspiration to me. It was him who encouraged me to apply to the PMG with my bone pen. We had a lot of interesting conversations by phone and email. First Eagle and then Lou. So long my friends.

Yes it is easy to do with today's fast pace world we live in. Time does fly.

It has been brought up here a few times in the past that a separate forum be kept for things like this. Mixing the sorrow in with the general conversations sometimes does not fit. There were other good examples given but I am not going to go back into it. But I do wish that this topic be revisited.

Talk about people leaving their mark , well here is a good example. He will be missed.

Top Bottom