IAP and Programs for Visually Impaired Woodturners - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I didn't read the above, but I will donate $25 - just tell me where to send. I also have about 50 of the stock Parker style refills, you are welcome to all of them.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
I didn't read the above, but I will donate $25 - just tell me where to send. I also have about 50 of the stock Parker style refills, you are welcome to all of them.
PM sent, Thank you!

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Default AmazonSmile

Mark, Sharon, and others,

I think what you are doing is absolutely great. I think many here contribute to charitable organizations far more than is known. I recently discovered a method of contribution that is not much but it can help when enough people use it: AmazonSmile.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/abo...2Aentries%2A=0

I signed up for this a few months ago and set it up to contribute to a local charity. IF some people here are not aware of it, and if enough sign up for it and list the organization/programs that Sharon works, it could help considerably.

I live in a small town about 30 miles from a metro area and don't have time to drive and find the things I need regularly, so I do use Amazon two or three times a month for various needs. My usage probably donates only $1 to $2 a month to my favorite charity - an orphanage.

I do not know if these programs for the blind are on the Smile list of supported organizations or not, but I was surprised to find the orphanage that I contribute to - on the list.

Not sure how this will work, but did want to let you know that there are other possibilities for helping also. Every little bit helps.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post
Mark, Sharon, and others,

I think what you are doing is absolutely great. I think many here contribute to charitable organizations far more than is known. I recently discovered a method of contribution that is not much but it can help when enough people use it: AmazonSmile.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/abo...2Aentries%2A=0

I signed up for this a few months ago and set it up to contribute to a local charity. IF some people here are not aware of it, and if enough sign up for it and list the organization/programs that Sharon works, it could help considerably.

I live in a small town about 30 miles from a metro area and don't have time to drive and find the things I need regularly, so I do use Amazon two or three times a month for various needs. My usage probably donates only $1 to $2 a month to my favorite charity - an orphanage.

I do not know if these programs for the blind are on the Smile list of supported organizations or not, but I was surprised to find the orphanage that I contribute to - on the list.

Not sure how this will work, but did want to let you know that there are other possibilities for helping also. Every little bit helps.
I've been using Amazon Smile for a long time. I use Amazon a lot, so it is a painless way to contribute to a favorite charity.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Mark, the other thing we really need is slimline bushings. We use them for both slimline pens and keychains. Also, Gatsby/Sierra/Wall Street bushings. The only way our turners know they are at the bushings is often by hearing the sound of the tool on metal. As a result, the bushings rapidly get turned down so they are too small.
Gotcha! Orders for 100 bushing sets were already done yesterday, with 500 kits! IAP Has got your back! Probably 1-2 weeks from yesterday.

We are up to 10 additional volunteers as of tonight to assist with blank prep. Sooooo nice to throw out an opportunity for assistance, and get a wonderful response!

IAP is a community. And we assist our neighbors.
That's GREAT Mark. We go through those bushings at an amazing rate here! The result is pens that are overturned and too small for the kits. And believe me, those blind turners notice. They have amazingly sensitive fingers.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

A HUGE Thank You to the 10 volunteers who have pledged support. Through everyone helping a bit, a LOT of progress has been made.

The first shipment of 500 kits and 100 bushings arrived, has been sorted, and the first 90 kits are being sent out for blank prep. More will get packaged this weekend.

And the Tampa Program has received a new lathe - their older one will possibly be sent to a new program for younger students in a local school for the blind to start a program there.

Kudos to:

Malcolm Zander - AAW contact who first facilitated Andi's involvement
Andi Sullivan - Who took a concept, had a dream and made it a reality for others benefit.
Sharon Wertz - Who first showed IAP how we can assist.

And for the recent involvement that I have been assisting with:

Jet Lathe
PSI Industries
dalecamino
EBorraga
Stonepecker
dieseldoc
swagopenturner
scissortail pens
MBroberg
Cwalker935
Magicbob
TonyL

Anyone else care to join the fun - let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0124.jpg   img_0125.jpg  

Old 08-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Just an update:

The initial 90 kits (i.e., tubes and blanks) were mailed out for blank prep on Saturday. 120 more are all boxed and will be mailed tomorrow AM. So there are 210 kits in-process with IAP Volunteers.

I have 290 more ava for blank prep. (I am also hosting a "Blank Prep Party" in November which will clear the shelves of whatever is not done).

IAP has been awesome in it's response. Many thanks!

Old 08-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I have an Idea I would like to contribute to this .....

If it could be possible to get a low powered laser cutter/engraver to them .... and set it up to where it could cut a flat on one side of the finished pens and keychains, leaving behind the appropriate series of bumps that would spell out their name in braille ....

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie_M View Post
I have an Idea I would like to contribute to this .....

If it could be possible to get a low powered laser cutter/engraver to them .... and set it up to where it could cut a flat on one side of the finished pens and keychains, leaving behind the appropriate series of bumps that would spell out their name in braille ....
Keep thinking Greg! I'll send a PM tomorrow and we can chat and ponder the possibilities! I have no experience with engraving, but appreciate it's possibilities. This is an open-ended assist-project... yes, we can be creative!

Be well, mark

Old 08-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

Default First set of materials are on their way.

Just an update. The first 40 sets of prepped blanks are on their way to programs in Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Portland.

There are an additional 210 sets currently being prepped (blanks cut, drilled, tubed and milled) by six IAP members.

Thanks to all for your support. If anyone wants to assist, just send me a PM.

Sorry for the upside down picture, but you get the idea!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0127.jpg  

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads