How often does this happen to you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Houtkop

Was a bit bored yesterday and decided to turn a quick pen. Selected a single barrel kit and a Wild Olive Burl blank. One of the easiest woods to turn and I love the smell. Rounded the blank and could marveled at the beauty of the wood. My first thought was it would be a pity to turn it down further and maybe lose the striking features. The thought crossed my mind to leave it as it is, the pen would have been darn difficult to write with, but it sure would have been beautiful!

Attachments

• Blank.jpg
    Blank.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 173
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Yes. Sometimes I start to turn a piece and then stop and take it off the lathe so I can look at it for a while. Later, if I don't look at it for a while (weeks or months) I'll put it back on the lathe and finish making it into a pen.:)

magpens

Yes, Olive is a very attractive wood and fun to turn. What pen kit were you making ?

Houtkop

I wanted to do a Wallstreet pen and pencil kit, but did exactly what Chris said. Took it of the lathe, but put it where I can look at it for a while. With my sense of sight sated, I took a piece of aromatic red cedar and turned a slimline.

1080Wayne

Beautiful wood . Think I would have split the blank and made two . Even if they ended up a bit under size when fully round , clear casting over top wouldn`t change the appearance , just the smell .

lyonsacc

I had a really nice looking spalted blank. About 1mm from the final size it look really nice. Got down to final size and about 80% of the spalt markings were gone. . . . Oh well.

Top Bottom