Help Request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USMATinkers

BLUF: Please advise on entering the hobby.

Good evening, IAP!

I'm a cadet at the United States Military Academy at West Point and a member of the Mechanical Engineering Club with a focus on our new Maker Space. The Maker Space is a dedicated work space for mechanical engineers to tinker and work on projects. There is interest among some members of our tight-knit group to add a woodworking component to our area, and I've heard that turning pens is a great introductory hobby to get acquainted with the tools and processes.

We have a budget that will allow us to purchase most of the power tools we'll need, but space is at a premium; our Maker Space cannot be wholly devoted to turning pens. We would really appreciate your advice on how to spend our grant and use space efficiently. The powers that be currently don't want to use any portion of our budget on personal projects, so materials must be provided by the individual cadet. This is where we may need the most help.

I reached out to Jeff, and he suggested I contact the vendors that sponsor this website and discuss a discount for cadets, and he also mentioned that the community as a whole is very generous and may be able to provide advice on the best deals to save cadets money on the different materials we'll need to get started in turning pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/starting-out-inexpensively-what-do-i-have-have-134740/
After reading the above thread, I'm curious if the miniature lathes that could fit on a desktop would be able to fill all of the roles necessary, to include drilling.

Thank you very much!

10onrc4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USMATinkers

Please also note that I am posting here as an individual member of the Mechanical Engineering Club and do not speak for the Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, the United States Military Academy, the United States Army, or the United States Department of Defense. :)

Penultimate

Greetings
Good luck setting up your makerspace. As an ME I recommend you concentrate on machines that allow to you to work in a variety of materials including metals. This will help you in you studies. If you have or are planning on clubs lie, robotics and racing then metal working machines are essential. You could get used Hardinge lathes and Bridgeport mills for decent prices. You can machine anything on those machines including wood. If a young engineer learns how to machine they will understand how to design products.

A floor standing drill press, bench grinder, belt disc sander and variable speed bandsaw could round out the shop.

Then get a bench top 3D printer and then a CNC Mill. These machines are essential tools for An engineer.

magpens

Be aware that you can do an excellent job of turning pens using metal-working tools.

It might be easier for you to acquire those and thereby make your acquisitions multi-purpose.

Welcome to IAP !!!!! . Keep us posted, please.

robutacion

I agree with what has been said and I would like to bring your attention to one aspect of having such a space for various activities and that is sawdust/shavings/dust in general.

Most of it can be limited to the area where the wood-working tools are located is located by using a ceiling to floor curtain, that means that, the wood working area should be located at one corner of the room, making it easier to insulated.

The other requirement that goes with wood work, particularly in the allocated room situation you presented is that you will also require an air exhaust/dust collecting system to minimise the problem, the right equipment installed properly, will take care of 2/3 of the problem.

As a vendor here on IAP, I would be glad to assist you guys with discount blanks, I only need to stress that I'm in Australia so shipping costs need to be considered.

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

MTViper

Good luck to you in your endeavor. You'll find that if you ask 10 woodturners about tools, lathes, accessories, favorite woods, etc., you'll get at least 15 different opinions. And that's ok. It's proof that there is more than one way to do it and there is room for creativity.

I didn't find any AAW clubs in close proximity to the campus, but there are 3 with in 100 miles or so. They may be sources of instructors, mentors, etc. If you want info on them, send me a PM and I'll send their contact info to you.

There is no Woodcraft or Rockler store near you. Closest woodturning store I found was The Woodturning Store: About Us on Long Island. The owner is an engineer and president of the Long Island AAW club. Might be a good point of contact for you. He may know of woodturners in your area. I've dealt with the business and give them high marks.

Know the difference between a mechanical engineer and a civil engineer?
A mechanical engineer builds weapons, a civil engineer builds targets!

Good luck, Steve USAFA, 73

USMATinkers

I appreciate all of the information. I'll definitely follow up on all of the advice and do more research. I didn't realize that metalworking tools could be used for woodworking, as I don't have much experience with them yet. I thought the "International" in IAP was an exaggeration, but I've already gotten great words of wisdom from two other countries. I especially appreciate the local contact from MTViper, even if he is a Zoomie. :)

Thank you all!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THere are a couple Midi lathes that may be able to be stored on the shelving in your picture and take out an used on a bench. Check Rikon and Jet lathes.
IF you havent spoken to Edgar our new member Liaison he will be around shortly to welcome you. If you need blanks several members would step up to send you free starting material to turn with.

TonyL

Welcome! Played West Point in baseball 8 times while I attended Fordham. Love taking the ride up there from The Bronx. I was 5 11 175, throwing against guys 225 and more and made of solid muscle. Enjoyed dining with the cadets after the game too. Great memories and thanks for serving.

edicehouse

Go to Woodcraft.com and find out how close the closest one is to you ~35 miles. Some do a volunteer turn for the troops.

dogcatcher

I will suggest Taig or Sherline mini lathes. Basically very small metal lathes that can easily be adapted to woodturning. Go to Google and search "turning pens with Taig mini lathe". The search will lead you back to IAP and some good threads about the Taig.

Top Bottom