Gadgets....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jckossoy

You notice all of them are for righties. We lefties were forced to write with the right when these were available. Now, lefties are in their right minds and everyone else is insane.

Kol Tov,

tipusnr

Actually the "Writing Glider" ad states that they have both a left and right hand model for sale. Still I went through the "conversion" in third grade at St. Gabriels' and then changed back to left-handed in the fourth grade when I transfer to the public school.

The funny thing is that the same school that decided to change my writing hand in third grade gave me a penmanship award (found it in mom's cedar chest) for writing left-handed in first grade. Yes - I could write in cursive in first grade. A lot of us from small town's in Wisconsin could in the late 50's & early 60's.

ryannmphs

Jeff,
What about those of us that can write both left and right handed? Are we insane, in our right mind or what??

Yes, I learned how to write both left and right handed while in collage - nothing better to do in class :)

cozee

You notice all of them are for righties.

Pssst! Hey fellow southpaw! I've got a plan. Now don't tell anyone but when I have saved up enough money, I am going to secretly switch all of the right handed scissors in the world for left handed ones!!! Think of the chaos!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaa![:D]

JohnDrayton

Those of us that are old enough to have had to take "penmanship" in grade school didn't need gadgets, we got smacked on the hand if we didn't hold our pen (straight pen with a nib) correctly! This was in the fifties and they still thought the finest handwriting was with a nib dipped in an inkwell!!
J.D. Drayton

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JohnDrayton
<br />Those of us that are old enough to have had to take "penmanship" in grade school didn't need gadgets, we got smacked on the hand if we didn't hold our pen (straight pen with a nib) correctly! This was in the fifties and they still thought the finest handwriting was with a nib dipped in an inkwell!!
J.D. Drayton

AHH YES... the good old days in parochial school in the Bronx...
Sister Mary Whatever standing over you with a 18" solid oak ruler at least 1/2" thick....
And my mother going nuts because the cheap fountain pens we had always leaked in the pockets of the white shirts we had to wear...

gerryr

If I remember correctly, it was Palmer Penmanship that was taught in my grade school. And we used paper that solid lines about 1" apart and a dashed line in between.

jckossoy

You guys are starting to date yourselves[;)]. By the time I got to school, we had the pencils that you had to lay on shoulder (due to size) and the paper with the 1/4" thick piece of wood as part of the paper[;)].

Kol Tov,

Woodbutcher68

Sister Mary Whatever standing over you with a 18" solid oak ruler at least 1/2" thick....

The penguins here quit using the 1/2" thick model when they came out with the steel-edged models. And don't forget the pointers. In a duel between Darth Vader with his light sabre and a penguin with a wood pointer, I'd bet on the penguin!

Shoot, that is nothing in those ads. Get any woodworking supply catalog and look at what is being sold to woodworkers. Then look at any pre 1850 piece of fine wood work and know that it was done with handsaws, planes and chisels.

Some things like a table saw are big time savers and you can't live with out one, in my shop anyway. But just take sharpening tools, look a the stuff being sold. All you need is a couple of Arkansas Stones and a little oil. But you can buy Jap stones, diamond stones, powered whet stones. Jigs to hold plane blades. Jigs to hold chisels. Jigs to hold lathe tools. All you need do is hold the dang tool at a given angle and sharpen it. Anyone can estimate an angle with a little, tiny little practice. It simply doesn't matter if it is 30° or 33° as long as it is consistent and in the same general area across the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom