Free Holly Tree wood in the North Houston area

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I saw this ad on the Houston Craigslist site this morning.

free Holly Tree Wood

It's a bit farther than I care to drive this weekend, but it might be worth checking out if you live on the north side of Houston.

Edgar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Last time I picked up free wood, it turned out to not be what was listed.
It was full of bugs, and just nasty stuff.
The guy thought people were stupid & would haul off his junk for free for him.
He ended up paying a hauling company to take it away.
Unless I know the person personally, I don't bother with "Free" anything anymore. :frown:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I sure wish I was there. I have been looking for a decent sized holly tree. Since it is already down, it should be easy to remove. Might need a good chainsaw.

One down side is that spring and early summer holly is quick to "gray" from the sap. Still, there should be some good holly there.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Last time I picked up free wood, it turned out to not be what was listed.
It was full of bugs, and just nasty stuff.
The guy thought people were stupid & would haul off his junk for free for him.
He ended up paying a hauling company to take it away.
Unless I know the person personally, I don't bother with "Free" anything anymore. :frown:

You never know until you check it out. If it's close by and a type of wood that I want, I'll at least do that. I once got 3 free pickup loads of high quality Camphor logs from a local Craigslist ad.

Herb G

Oh, I didn't mean anything against you Ed. Not at all. I'm just saying about my last experience is all. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Oh, I didn't mean anything against you Ed. Not at all. I'm just saying about my last experience is all. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

Not at all, Herb. I understood what you were saying - my Craigslist experiences in this area have been pretty good & I'd just hate to see someone miss out on what might possibly be some nice holly without checking it out first place if they live close to the guy. Before going more than a few miles out of my way though, I do try to vette the ad to get an idea if the trip will be worth my time.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
It's probably under water right now with all the rain in that area of town the past few days.

Definitely one of the reasons that I passed on it. If I lived closer, I would certainly have checked into it though.

Top Bottom