Ever Had "One of those days?"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MrFrost

I can laugh about it now, but yesterday was one of those days for me. I should have stopped at my first mistake, instead, I got less cautious and more determined and ended up ruining three blanks and a pen kit.

I went into the shop last night with the intention of cutting a few blanks to size, and painting the blanks and tubes. That was going to be it. A nice easy night in the shop. Well, I got ahead of myself, when I realized that two of the blanks I bought didn't require back painting, so I though, why not knock a couple pens out?

First mistake. Should have stuck with my original game plan. I didn't have an ulimited amount of time, as it was after work, but I still decide to speed up doing routine tasks such as drilling my blanks. Second mistake, lol. Had a blow out on one of the blanks I bought. So, I grab one from my inventory and slow myself down, and drill it properly.

Turned and finished the blanks like normal, and they look great. Begin assembling the Baron kit from BTW's, my first Baron to boot. Again, moving quicker than I normally would. Had trouble pressing the cap assembly into place, so I thought, let me crank on the press a little harder and that is when mistake three happened. Bent the tube and cracked the acrylic.

Most people, at this point and with that many failures, would do the smart thing, and call it a night and walk away. Me...nope! I decided to turn a Sierra. Well, I normally let my tubes dry over night once I glue them into the blank, but I have always thought this to be over cautious.

Wrong.

Not once, but twice, as the originally blank was long enough for me to repeat this mistake again, suffered a catastrophic blow out on the lathe both times, when I was nearing final dimensions taking incredibly small passes at the material with fresh carbide. I am assuming that both times, I had un-cured glue lead to these blow outs.

That was mistake four and five. And enough for me to call it quits. I was so determined after my first mistake, to prove myself and get a pen turned that I ended up wasting three blanks, and a pen kit.

Not for nothing though, because I have realized the importance of doing things the right way, and not "cutting any corners," so to speak. Coming home after a long day at the office, and trying to knock out pens from start to finish, does not work for me.

It's a relatively cheap lesson, but a good one. As long as I learn from it. I'm still relatively new to this, only been turning for a few months, but that is no excuse, because as I have mentioned, I knew better.

Patience. It is key.

Reordered the blanks and kit, and then some, as always seems to be the case, lol. I also noticed that my mandrel does appear to have the slightest of slight bends in it, even with a mandrel saver in the tail stock. So I also decided to try the between centers mandrel system.

To anyone reading, let me be the example for you to learn from so that you can avoid making those 100% avoidable mistakes, lol. Slow down, and do it the right way.

PS - At least I did get one blank and tube painted, but I will let it cure until tomorrow, when I will glue the tube in the blank, and MAYBE turn Saturday, lol. (FYI, I am definitely open to anyone's tips or advice on anything, as I am not too proud to admit my mistakes.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

We've all been there. Too bad our foresight isn't nearly as good as our backsight.

I learned (yes, as a result of mistakes) that I need to order extra tubes for the kits I use. If I blow out a blank, or think the blank is too plain, I can substitute a better blank and not lose too much time.

As years have gone by, I find it easy to make several tubes ahead and assemble the pens later. Carbon fiber, steampunk and circuitboards always sell, so I now keep turned blanks in stock.

MrFrost

We've all been there. Too bad our foresight isn't nearly as good as our backsight.

I learned (yes, as a result of mistakes) that I need to order extra tubes for the kits I use. If I blow out a blank, or think the blank is too plain, I can substitute a better blank and not lose too much time.

As years have gone by, I find it easy to make several tubes ahead and assemble the pens later. Carbon fiber, steampunk and circuitboards always sell, so I now keep turned blanks in stock.

This is honestly great advice...I think I will place an order for tubes for my most popular kits. Thank you!

mecompco

Ha ha, I think we've all been there and done that! I've also learned that an assembly line approach is best. Drill and paint one day, glue another day, then clean and chamfer tubes and turn as time allows. Screw ups still happen (after two years at this), but I do try to learn something from each one.

Regards,
Michael

jennera

I am thankful for posts like these that I can share with my young turner. It encourages her keep trying when she sees she is not the only one that makes these mistakes.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CREID

I used to have one of those days bout all the time. But I found a way to get out of it. SMOKIN IN THE BOYS ROOM

robutacion

Yes, it takes a certain type of person to admit publically of his/her mistakes and like you said, being able to reflect on it and take some lessons makes those experiences priceless even though they don't feel that way when it happens.

If I could have $1 for everyone that was on that path, I would never need to worry about money ever again, this means that we all have those days every so often, the hardest part about it is to have the common sense to read the signs and move away before things get even worse, and they always do.

Some may call it stubbornness, persistence, unwillingness to give up, push the limits, and a few more terms used in this reality, the main lesson is ion my view when "we" can see it coming and stop sooner rather than later...!

This is another of my analogies that, I fail to comply, often, why..?:confused:

Cheers
George

Woodchipper

Too bad our foresight isn't nearly as good as our backsight.
My father always said hindsight is 20/20. We all have those days. Sometimes I have more than I like. Had a glitch in my first pen. After I was told that you have to square BOTH ends of the blank, everything went together perfectly.

Top Bottom