Cocobolo to be listed on CITES

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
I heard from my exotic wood dealer that Cocobolo will be placed on the endangered species list in early June. Tight restrictions on importing and prices will rise dramatically as supplies decrease. He just came back from Mexico and is getting his supply before the restrictions take place. The following link says June 12 of this year.

Cocobolo CITES Update!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kendallqn

If you are looking to stock up woodworkerssource.com has 25 pen blank packs on sale for 49 bucks. Just noticed it earlier while surfing.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
If it's truly an endangered species, then I'm very happy that they're protecting it. There are so many species of Cocobolo, and so many other beautiful woods that are not threatened, that it certainly doesn't chafe me at all to see it go on the endangered list.

I certainly wouldn't be 'stocking up' before it's restricted, however - that's like slaughtering unicorns by the herd for sausage before laws protecting them can be enacted. :)

Scruffy

While I do believe that sustainable growth should..

be the goal, I have become a little cynical when I view the consequences of many the "green" controls. While we should not discuss them here, I think a close study of control of ebony into the states would be useful.
Those who recently reaped the rewards and those that have been hurt. I suspect that cocobolo is not far behind that model.

dogcatcher

The OP's link is a seller, I looked but I found nothing from a reputable source such as CITES that discusses any upgrades on cocobolo since 2011. Has anybody else looked or is the seller on "sales" scare tactic?

Scruffy

I have looked a 2-3 places at Cocobolo prices

Wood worker's source -- $49 bf
Tropical Exotic Hardwoods --$40 bf (They mention CITES)
Bell Forest --- Their prices appear all over the place for blanks ( 3/4 " x 3/4" x 5" @ $1.5 to $135 for 9 piece spindles). But they appear to be sold out of Cocobolo Lumber. They don't mention CITES
Exotic Wood USA has not really changed their prices.

So no conclusive data. I would say Tropical Exotic could be running prices up. But hey who knows

It does appear that two chinese companies are buying lots of cocobolo.

Last edited:

edstreet

The OP's link is a seller, I looked but I found nothing from a reputable source such as CITES that discusses any upgrades on cocobolo since 2011. Has anybody else looked or is the seller on "sales" scare tactic?

Lets see here. ...

Logs, sawn wood and veneer sheets from the Guatemalan populations of Cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa), have been listed under CITES Appendix III since 2008. In 2011, Panama extended that listing to include all products except seeds and pollen and finished products packaged and ready for retail trade.

For the March 2013 CITES Conference of Parties, Belize has proposed uplisting Cocobolo to Appendix II.

Cocobolo CITES Update!

among various other sources list the same thing. This is not something 'new' either as it has been an ongoing issue for some time now.

Or you could just go to the horses mouth yourself. ...

Appendices I, II and III of CITES

Dalbergia retusa
[population of Guatemala (Guatemala)] #5
[population of Panama (Panama)] #2
Dalbergia stevensonii #5 [population of Guatemala (Guatemala)]
Dalbergia xerophila #5 (Madagascar)

#2 Population of Chile (listed in Appendix II)::

For the exclusive purpose of allowing international trade in wool sheared from live vicuñas, and in cloth and items made thereof, including luxury handicrafts and knitted articles. The reverse side of the cloth must bear the logotype adopted by the range States of the species, which are signatories to the Convenio para la Conservación y Manejo de la Vicuña, and the selvages the words 'VICUÑA-CHILE'. Other products must bear a label including the logotype and the designation 'VICUÑA-CHILE-ARTESANÍA'.

All other specimens shall be deemed to be specimens of species included in Appendix I and the trade in them shall be regulated accordingly.

5 Populations of Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe (listed in Appendix II):

For the exclusive purpose of allowing:

a) trade in hunting trophies for non-commercial purposes;
b) trade in live animals to appropriate and acceptable destinations, as defined in Resolution Conf. 11.20, for Botswana and Zimbabwe and for in situ conservation programmes for Namibia and South Africa;
c) trade in hides;
d) trade in hair;
e) trade in leather goods for commercial or non-commercial purposes for Botswana, Namibia and South Africa and for non-commercial purposes for Zimbabwe;
f) trade in individually marked and certified ekipas incorporated in finished jewellery for non-commercial purposes for Namibia and ivory carvings for non-commercial purposes for Zimbabwe;
g) trade in registered raw ivory (for Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe, whole tusks and pieces) subject to the following:
i) only registered government-owned stocks, originating in the State (excluding seized ivory and ivory of unknown origin);
ii) only to trading partners that have been verified by the Secretariat, in consultation with the Standing Committee, to have sufficient national legislation and domestic trade controls to ensure that the imported ivory will not be re-exported and will be managed in accordance with all requirements of Resolution Conf. 10.10 (Rev. CoP14) concerning domestic manufacturing and trade;
iii) not before the Secretariat has verified the prospective importing countries and the registered government-owned stocks;
iv) raw ivory pursuant to the conditional sale of registered government-owned ivory stocks agreed at CoP12, which are 20,000 kg (Botswana), 10,000 kg (Namibia) and 30,000 kg (South Africa);
v) in addition to the quantities agreed at CoP12, government-owned ivory from Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe registered by 31 January 2007 and verified by the Secretariat may be traded and despatched, with the ivory in paragraph g) iv) above, in a single sale per destination under strict supervision of the Secretariat;
vi) the proceeds of the trade are used exclusively for elephant conservation and community conservation and development programmes within or adjacent to the elephant range; and
vii) the additional quantities specified in paragraph g) v) above shall be traded only after the Standing Committee has agreed that the above conditions have been met; and
h) no further proposals to allow trade in elephant ivory from populations already in Appendix II shall be submitted to the Conference of the Parties for the period from CoP14 and ending nine years from the date of the single sale of ivory that is to take place in accordance with provisions in paragraphs g) i), g) ii), g) iii), g) vi) and g) vii). In addition such further proposals shall be dealt with in accordance with Decisions 14.77 and 14.78 (Rev. CoP15).

On a proposal from the Secretariat, the Standing Committee can decide to cause this trade to cease partially or completely in the event of non-compliance by exporting or importing countries, or in the case of proven detrimental impacts of the trade on other elephant populations.

All other specimens shall be deemed to be specimens of species included in Appendix I and the trade in them shall be regulated accordingly.

airborne_r6

So I just went through and read everything and according to this document:
http://www.cites.org/eng/notif/2013/E-Notif-2013-012.pdf
Titled "Notification to the Parties", which is the notification of amendments adopted at the Sixteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties in Bangkok (Thailand), 3-14 March 2013, the following species are moved from Appendix III to Appendix II effective 12 June 2013.

Dalbergia cochinchinensis (Logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets)
Dalbergia granadillo (Logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets and plywood)
Dalbergia retusa (Logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets and plywood)
Dalbergia stevensonii (Logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets and plywood)
Dalbergia spp. (populations of Madagascar) (Logs, sawn wood and veneer sheets)

Being listed in Appendix II means"
Appendix II lists species that are not necessarily now threatened with extinction but that may become so unless trade is closely controlled. It also includes so-called "look-alike species", i.e. species of which the specimens in trade look like those of species listed for conservation reasons (see Article II, paragraph 2 of the Convention). International trade in specimens of Appendix-II species may be authorized by the granting of an export permit or re-export certificate. No import permit is necessary for these species under CITES (although a permit is needed in some countries that have taken stricter measures than CITES requires). Permits or certificates should only be granted if the relevant authorities are satisfied that certain conditions are met, above all that trade will not be detrimental to the survival of the species in the wild. (See Article IV of the Convention)

If it's truly an endangered species, then I'm very happy that they're protecting it. There are so many species of Cocobolo, and so many other beautiful woods that are not threatened, that it certainly doesn't chafe me at all to see it go on the endangered list.

I certainly wouldn't be 'stocking up' before it's restricted, however - that's like slaughtering unicorns by the herd for sausage before laws protecting them can be enacted. :)

But I like unicorn sausage :frown:

Mmmmm ... Unicorn sausage. Doh! :eek:

Unicorn Sausage, Pfft Unicorn Bratwurst... that is awesome, mind you, it is even better if you precook in a good Lager first

This is also a great way to boost the price of something! I love using cocobolo and it is beautiful but creating shortages seems to be a business model these days. Everything is an emergency have you noticed that?

airborne_r6

Unicorn Sausage, Pfft Unicorn Bratwurst... that is awesome, mind you, it is even better if you precook in a good Lager first

Sigh...my wife doesn't like the taste of beer so brats are just grilled at our house.

Last edited:

Sigh...my wife doesn't like the taste of beer so brats are just grilled at our house.

you have my sympathy.. pity, though you only pre cook then toss upon the grill to finish them off..
My wife had the similar aversion, "beer is just nasty" well I fixed her when I told her one of her favorite condiments was made from beer... Malt Vinegar... awesome with Fish and Chips.

Top Bottom