Cocobolo eyes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I woke up this morning looking like this. My eyes are as wide open as I can get them. I turned a Cocobolo pen yesterday, and I was using a full face PAPR. I did NOT use gloves, nor did I change clothes or shower immediately after completing the pen. If those steps don't work, and this happens again to me, I'll have some cocobolo on the market here.

BTW, the doc gave me a steroid shot in the butt and put me on a six day steroid regimen.

Attachments

• cocobolo eyes.jpg
    cocobolo eyes.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Ouch! You know, I'd never had a problem with Cocobolo turning on my metal lathe. Turns out that one gets a LOT of sawdust on them when using a wood lathe, however. I've still got a rash from my first try turning it that way two weeks ago. Also didn't realize that the sawdust will rust up a mandrel in no time. At least my eyes are OK. Live and learn!

Regards,
Michael

BJohn

Be very careful, I know from experience your sensitivity to the allergen can get worse with each exposure. so the allergic reactions will get worse.

To the point were you may go into anaphylactic shock.

At age 35 I started having reactions to beef and pork, started with reactions smaller then what you had. It got worse and worse each time. Right now if I even have a hint of either (like if some one picks up a piece of roast beef off the deli tray & I use the same fork to get turkey) it is potentially an emergency run to the ER.

As nasty as that reaction looks for the first time. You might want your doctor to call you in a prescription for an epi pen. The next reaction maybe kinda rough. I would get it out of your shop and sell it ASAP. All it may take is you visiting some ones shop that just turned Cocbolo and you get in a small amount of the dust.

Good Luck

Last edited:

SteveJ

That looks painful. I don't think my wife would allow me close to cocobolo again if I woke up like that and was pretty sure it was caused by an allergy.

Also, someone once said, no picture, didn't happen. I didn't see a picture of the pen....

Take care of yourself, and at least give your body some time to recover before attempting to turn another cocobolo pen.

I've turned a bunch of it and never had a problem - it sure is a sweet wood to turn.

VotTak

I had the same reaction to Bog Oak. But I did not use mask and DC.
Recovery was very difficult. More than a week. And 2 more weeks I stayed away from the wood.

Last edited:

jcm71

That looks painful. I don't think my wife would allow me close to cocobolo again if I woke up like that and was pretty sure it was caused by an allergy.

Also, someone once said, no picture, didn't happen. I didn't see a picture of the pen....

Take care of yourself, and at least give your body some time to recover before attempting to turn another cocobolo pen.

I've turned a bunch of it and never had a problem - it sure is a sweet wood to turn.

Since you asked.

Attachments

• 1222a.JPG
    1222a.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 161

SteveG

At least you have a very nice pen...excellent work with that beautiful wood.

I just cannot decide which looks better: your red pen or your red eyes.:eek::eek:

(Sorry for that. In truth, I feel for you, with all the pain and problems you are experiencing.)

I have not yet observed any personal adverse reaction to cocobolo, after turning about 6 or 8 Cocobolo pens spaced over a few years. I will take your lesson to heart, and take precautions as if I were allergic. That sure takes the fun out of it all!

low_48

I agree with BJohn. Sell your stock now. No wood is worth a reaction like that and worse! Why would you think the next experience would be better? Just have someone else bag it up and ship it.

John,
That's bad news... last time my eyes looked like that I had just had a bowl jump out of a Longworth chuck and smack me in the face... I wasn't wearing a shield at the time... Knock on green wood (two or three raps to the side of the head) I don't seem to have any reaction to cocobolo... haven't turned any in a while, but I did a couple of peppermills for my daughter a while back and no reaction. So far I haven't had any reaction to any woods...

Sorry you're having trouble and get well soon... it is a beaut of a pen though.

Rick_G

That is not good. As others have said get a friend to get rid of it for you.
I must be one of the lucky ones. No allergies to anything that I know of and haven't had a cold or flu for years, been retired for 13 years and I know it was several years before that. Must have a good immune system then again I didn't grow up in nor maintain one of these germ free sterile homes that so many seem to want today.

Give the pen away or sell it as well. If you are allergic just touching it can bring on problems. I know the son of a friend of mine helped him carry some walnut boards I had given him from the car to the basement and his arms had broken out in a rash by the time he came back for the second load.

Sylvanite

It is said that there are two kinds of woodturners - those who are allergic to cocobolo, and those who will be.

Cocobolo is a sensitizer. That means one may be exposed repeatedly without problem, but once the body reacts, it will do so again - and with greater severity. I suggest it's time for you to avoid cocobolo, which is a shame because it's such a pretty wood.

Best of luck,
Eric

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As one who is sensitive to many woods... I sympathize! And agree: Bag it, gift it! There are many "agreeable woods" available.

Last night I was cutting some segmented sections (Maple/Walnut/Cherry), and this AM (4:30AM) my eyes were swollen shut... I must have had a problem in the dust extractor. As of now I have no clue what I needed to do better. At 7 PM all is well.

But, your health is most important - choice of timber can be adjusted!!!

Top Bottom