Is This a Club?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I stopped off at Woodcraft today to pick up a few things, wow I sound like my wife, and when I was checking out I was asked if I was a member of a wood turning club. I said yes and told him the IAP. He asked what the IAP stood for so I told him. He asked if I had a card and I said no that it was a free to join membership. He then shook his head and rang up my bill. I asked if other clubs gave out cards and he said yes. When I first satrted turning I was a member of a Texas turning club that had dues and I don't remember getting a card. There is another store locally, Wood World, that lets the IAP members hold meeting in their store with no charge and gives discounts to members. I'm not mad or upset just surprised that Woodcraft would ask but not honer the discount.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
We've discussed membership cards before but nothing ever took off. I've thought that perhaps we could provide something for members to print, but there's no substitute for an "issued" official card. Previous ideas have usually involved laminated cards and getting someone to volunteer to produce them was not doable.

We'd need a design for a card (hey, another contest!) someone to coordinate requests and print and send them, and a laminating machine and related supplies. The IAP could fund the equipment and supplies and postage.

We do have unique member numbers to add that official governmenty feel :biggrin:

I'd suggest that this could be an "on request" benefit, or automatic after X posts. I'd hate to go to the expense and trouble for someone who registers and doesn't hang around for a while.

Thoughts?

Sataro

Kenny,
If I'm reading your post correctly you stopped off at the Woodcraft store in Richardson area. All three stores in Dallas/Richardson area-WoodWorld, Woodcraft, & Rockler's give a 10% discount if you are a member of a wood turning club. But they do ask to see your Woodturning membership card.
The meetings that meet on Thursday nights in Woodworld are a local Dallas Woodturning club.

I stopped off at Woodcraft today to pick up a few things, wow I sound like my wife, and when I was checking out I was asked if I was a member of a wood turning club. I said yes and told him the IAP. He asked what the IAP stood for so I told him. He asked if I had a card and I said no that it was a free to join membership. He then shook his head and rang up my bill. I asked if other clubs gave out cards and he said yes. When I first satrted turning I was a member of a Texas turning club that had dues and I don't remember getting a card. There is another store locally, Wood World, that lets the IAP members hold meeting in their store with no charge and gives discounts to members. I'm not mad or upset just surprised that Woodcraft would ask but not honer the discount.

Scott

Jeff,

I think a card would be cool! Especially if the cost could be kept to a minimum. I think they could be produced and sent on request, and I think using the unique member number would be cool! (I wonder what my number is?). Since there is a cost involved, I would think that if you suggested a minimal (optional) donation, that most would be willing to pitch in. I know I would!

Scott.

Gofer

Probably not much use to those of us with a 3 hr drive to a store that might??? have heard of the IAP .

Ther a couple guys at the Lee Valley in edmonton that know about IAP and have used he library but I dont know if they are members.

As far as getting a card why not make the member who would like one donate $5 to he cause in exchange for one?

Bruce

Kenny Durrant

I've never been asked to show a card at Wood World maybe because I'm in there quite a bit. Most of the guys there know me and know I make most of the IAP meetings. Like I said I have no problems with Woodcraft I thought it was strange to ask then doubt my response. I'm also surprised at the response here about the cards. I think it would be good to have cards in this case but I wouldn't want to put anyone on the spot to do it or create an added expense that's not needed. I know there are a lot of people that work hard to keep the IAP going and I wouldn't want to add something else to that. I guess now would also be a good time to say THANKS TO ALL that are involved from the top to the bottom in keeping this going. I want to make sure everyone knows I'm talking about the staff and the members. Even those who post questions and pics of problems have helped me to figure out how I may start a project or keep from having new problems myself.

robertkulp

How about a laser engraved Sierra blank? Actually, I've designed and print out employee ID cards where I work and they're easy to do. These are standard plastic "credit card" type IDs. I wouldn't be able to use work's equipment, but would be glad to help with any recommendations or design suggestions. Total cost for each of these is about sixty cents per card.

Last edited:

sbell111

I think using the unique member number would be cool! (I wonder what my number is?).
Hover your cursor over your name to the left of any of your replies or at the top right of the screen and you will see a link pop up at the bottom of your screen. At the end of the link is your unique number. Mine is 4715. Yours is 2.

Last edited:

Crashmph

There are options to get Membership cards made in bulk online rather than dealing with laminated cards. 1000 cards for sub $400 or so. Why not make it part of this years birthday bash fundraiser. I will volunteer to run it if need be.

Quick searching found these club cards. From the looks of it we can have them individually numbered and name stamped.

I am sure there needs to be more research into this, but at least we have a starting point.

Michael

walshjp17

A card would be nice, but it has been my experience (albeit limited) that since each Woodcraft store is independently owned, discount policies will vary. Some may honor a card while others a different method.

In Charlotte, the store management is happy to hand out 10% discount cards to established clubs. In Charlotte there are three woodturning clubs, a woodworkers club, a wood carvers club and a penturners club and all get discount cards to distribute at the meetings. They are good for about a month.

If a customer is recognized by one of the (senior) staff then a discount might be applied without a card.

Klingspor's, on the other hand, inputs the local club member names into their computer system and automagically applies a 10% discount either in-store or online. (The local Woodcraft will not enter names into their system -- they prefer the discount cards, most likely because they know most will not be used.)

So, a membership card may or may not work, but it is worth a shot.

Last edited:

Turned Around

I'd be a proud card carrying member if it got that far. Be neat for vendors, too. "Input your IAP card number for your dicount" or something like that.

ttpenman

As a former printer, a basic business card would work for a membership card. Cost would be a few cents each. Places like Vistaprint makes them very cheap. Biggest expense would be mailing them out. I think a downloadable card would be the way to go. Print it out on card stock and you're all set.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I was pointed to an option the other day I'm looking into. It's a matter of finding the time to figure out all the options and what everyone would be happy with. It's on my to-do list.

designer

I kinda like the option of a downloadable business card. Avery sells blank business cards cheap that can be printed at home to save on the costs. Download the IAP card and add your name and ID. number.

Now the questions come, how much customization would and or could be allowed? The logo is already allowed for use with guidelines, so is this needed? Do you want to add a photo of the member? Who wants to write up the guidelines? Will there be bar coding on the card as well?

Back to the issued cards that can be controlled better with no issues of errant additions that are not authorized?

A fun project for you to figure out Jeff. Lots of things for you to investigate before making a decision.

Yes, I will make a donation for the card if that is what is decided.

walshjp17

If someone could figure out how to get a membership card into the smartphone apps (such as Passbook for the iPhone or Key Ring for multiple systems) that would be helpful. No addition weight to the wallet, no cards to lose or misplace.

GBrackett

A membership card would be a good thing. It would build affinity and provide a form of PR. Before I retired a City project require a membership card. We created a form field pdf card that allowed the member to add their name and address which was download enabled that each individual could print out or save to their smart phone. Worked out pretty good for us. In this case it could be requested and emailed to the member once they met the guidelines for one. Leaving the method of displaying it and the cost of printing up to the member.

snyiper

I think some form of Id would do several things one of which unite people as to belonging to something Huge!!! Imagine the people you would meet at shows by flashing your card or even wearing it.

Top Bottom