Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I have a piece of plastic that is a pale yellow with a white swirl in it. It is 5" long and 1-3/16" square and the corners are cut at 45 degrees (makes it octagonal) and it's 1-5/16" across that direction.

I've been told by a few people, that it's Bakelite, but they have no idea the value of it.
Does anyone have an idea of it's value or that can direct me to a reliable source to get the information?

I don't want to cut it or ruin it if it has any value and if some else could better utilize it than I can. I would surely mess it up, when someone else could make something beautiful from it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Exoticblanks.com has some ebonite, but I don't see any bakelite there. . The ebonite is fairly pricey. . Bakelite can be quite brittle.

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
Hello,

It does sound like bakelite (i purchased some of it from Roy a few years back). Here is a link that will give you some more info:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/butterscotch-emperor-not-60359/

I believe i bought it for $30 or $35 at the time

Robert

Thanks for the link.

That is exactly what it looks like (some dark marks on mine) and almost the exact size.
I would never guess the white color being inside.

I suppose at $30 - $35, I won't be so concerned about messing it up. Not what I consider valuable compared to the cost of some of the modern blanks I've seen for sale.

scotian12

Yes, that is the same bakelite. Its hard to realize that it was 6 years ago that I bought 4 blanks from Roy but have not yet had the courage to turn them yet. Perhaps in 2017. regards Darrell

SteveG

I have some of those same blanks. I rip 'em down the middle, and then VERY CAREFULLY drill as needed for pens. High level 'pucker factor', and sooner or later I will suffer a loss. Good so far. Getting twice the yield. Drilling done with very sharp bits, moderate speed, and my good friend Pam. Darrell, do not fear. Go have fun!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have one of those from Roy as well. I havent figured out what to make out of it yet Either.

bobleibo

I am soooo jealous of you guys who have some Bakelite stashed away. Maybe that's why I can never find any. If anyone ever decides to sell any, I am only a PM away~
Cheers
Bob

Terredax

Banned
Based from the posts, this color is pretty common.
I prefer the blue color I've seen a few times.

What style pens do you get out of a piece after it's ripped in half?

SteveG

I have an assortment of bakelite pieces and rods, most of which are about the size of the one in this thread. I can usually get up to the "Jr" series type of kit. It takes very careful, and precise cutting, and even more careful drilling. I do the "rip" cut with a scroll saw which is the thinnest kerf available to me.

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
I have an assortment of bakelite pieces and rods, most of which are about the size of the one in this thread. I can usually get up to the "Jr" series type of kit. It takes very careful, and precise cutting, and even more careful drilling. I do the "rip" cut with a scroll saw which is the thinnest kerf available to me.

Do you split it into two rectangular shapes or on the diagonal?
If ripping diagonal, that gives almost an additional 1/16" across the center of the cut pieces.

SteveG

Rip Bakelite

These are the typical series of cuts to divide a single octagon bakelite piece to yield two blanks. If you try this, it has a good chance to fail, because it is pushing the limits. You should use push devices/jigs to keep fingers away from blades for safety. Proceed at your own risk! :eek:

I cut away portions of the blank so the final thin kerf cut on the scroll saw can be done easily, and with precision. Cuts 1 and 2 remove waste. Cuts 3 and 4 (table saw) are wide kerf cuts to minimize remaining thickness to be cut on the scroll saw. The final cut (5) is the thin kerf scroll saw cut. After these cuts are done, I locate the turning center, and mount the blank between centers to ruff-turn to a cylindrical shape. Remove as little stock as possible. Mount in collet chuck for drilling. This supports the material for drilling what will be a fairly thin-wall drilling process. I drill a pilot hole (sharp, moderate speed, lubricant and cooling), then step up drill bit size as needed. Note: the actual octagon shape bakelite usually has four smaller flats and four larger. The idea is to perform the prep cuts so the resultant two blanks are "touching" the small flats, as that will yield the largest diameter blanks.

Sometimes, after all these steps, and with the high possibility of blank failure, I wonder if it is worth it. But I do it anyhow. Some would say I am hopeless! :tongue:

Attachments

• Rip Bakelite.JPG
    Rip Bakelite.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 137

Terredax

Banned
Thanks for the explanation and diagram.
I don't think I will try making any pens from it. I just know
I'll mess it up.
I'll stick it in a drawer and wait for a good use to come along.
Of coarse, when that good use comes along, I'll have forgotten
where I put it.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom