A Bad Night

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

It all started when I decided to make a couple of pens last night. It started when I was trying to prep a blank for my wife to turn. Let me stop here and say I know stupid me I could have avoided much of this. Anyway back on track I cut the acrylic like I would a wood blank:confused: I don't know why. Well it blew out, ok not the big a problem just use the other half for this seirra. So while drilling I waited a wee bit long to pull up and clean bit:eek: I know just one of those moments. Well bit got stuck:eek: I tried to get it out and low and behold my chuck broke on my drill press:mad::mad:. Then I decided to make the seirra out of a afzelia hurt there'd it to just under the bushing so ca building up would make a flush fit had one of my best finishing and then went to put it together noticed that nib end is spot on but clip end is pretty wide. I noticed that the bushings for the seirra is larger for side than the other end. Is that normal. Well got to find a drill press to drill out blanks oh I forgot to mention that I broke a brooks blank in half too:mad::eek::eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Wow, that is a crappy day. I would have walked out when the first blank blew. I have a Navigator out there right now with a messed up finish. When I took it off the mandrel and noticed I sat it in the bowl and walked out. If I would have tried to fix i then I would have gotten in a hurry and ben sloppy and wasted that Amboyna Burl. Now I will go out tonight, fresh, and fix it, saving my sanity and some nice Burl.

ghostrider

It all started when I decided to make a couple of pens last night. It started when I was trying to prep a blank for my wife to turn. Let me stop here and say I know stupid me I could have avoided much of this. Anyway back on track I cut the acrylic like I would a wood blank:confused: I don't know why. Well it blew out, ok not the big a problem just use the other half for this seirra. So while drilling I waited a wee bit long to pull up and clean bit:eek: I know just one of those moments. Well bit got stuck:eek: I tried to get it out and low and behold my chuck broke on my drill press:mad::mad:. Then I decided to make the seirra out of a afzelia hurt there'd it to just under the bushing so ca building up would make a flush fit had one of my best finishing and then went to put it together noticed that nib end is spot on but clip end is pretty wide. I noticed that the bushings for the seirra is larger for side than the other end. Is that normal. Well got to find a drill press to drill out blanks oh I forgot to mention that I broke a brooks blank in half too:mad::eek::eek:
Sorry about your troubles.

I've read on here that there is a difference in size of the bushings of the Seirra.

Glad there was no injuries.

JF36

Ouch I have had those days. The one time I glued the short tube in the long blank for a European pen then had 2 more acrylic blanks explode on the lathe. After that the best thing to do is leave the shop before something really bad happens

Rick P

Yep we have all been there.......the forum contains a pic of my hands cut to ribbons by an antler section and I was out for several days after casting in my living room.......been having the worst year of my life for respiratory health!

One thing are you sure you didn't just release the chuck from your drill press? Most drill presses have a tapered spindle that fits inside the drive shaft, very much like a chuck for your lathe. Are you sure it didn't just pop loose?

Rick P

Ouch I have had those days. The one time I glued the short tube in the long blank for a European pen then had 2 more acrylic blanks explode on the lathe. After that the best thing to do is leave the shop before something really bad happens

AMEN!!!

Bobalu

Both bushings should be the same size. Could you have mixed up bushings from one kit with those of another. How about CA build up? It happens. Soak bushings in acetone to clean.

Joe Burns

Know how you feel. got the brass tubes mixed up between a Elegant Beauty twist pen and a Elegant Beauty click pen last week.

The blank was a gorgeous buckeye blank that had two eyes in it that the CA finish came out great on. It was too long for the click pen I put it on and I damaged the edge of the blank when I took the pen apart.

Joe

Top Bottom