Amtrak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm thinking of traveling on Amtrak from Baltimore or Washington DC to Cary NC. Has anyone traveled south on Amtrak from either of those places. If it's Baltimore we'd probably leave from BWI and change trains in Washington's Union Station. Has anyone ever changed trains in Washington - if so how far apart are the arrivals and departures?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I live halfway between New York City and Montreal, and the most convenient way for us to get into the City is Amtrak. I used it regularly before I retired (I was in the City at least once a week during my last year), and wife and I continue to use it for the occasional 'day trip'. It's much quicker than air travel (no security hassle, and it takes you directly to the center of the City rather than an airport an hour away), and it's less expensive. And there's something comforting about riding the train. On the other hand, a friend once said that the one thing that Amtrak has been able to accomplish with total success is to demonstrate that the railroads could lower their standard of service to match the airlines.

The issue with trains is that there is usually a wait between the time the inbound train arrives, and the outbound train departs. And since there is no seating at the track itself, you have to go do a waiting room. There is no
'arrival' and 'departure' area per se.

And to complicate matters, it's generally not know for sure what track a train will depart on until just before departure - that's because trains are assigned to tracks as they are available when the train arrives in the station. It is true that there can be a 'usual' track for a specific train, but there's no guarantee that the desired train will actually be on that track on a given day.

My recollection is that at Union Station, the track level is only very slightly lower in elevation than the waiting room, and that there is a ramp that you must take down to the track. That's unlike Penn Station in NY where the waiting room is probably 50' higher in elevation than the track, and you have to take either an elevator or escalator to move from one to the other.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I live halfway between New York City and Montreal, and the most convenient way for us to get into the City is Amtrak. I used it regularly before I retired (I was in the City at least once a week during my last year), and wife and I continue to use it for the occasional 'day trip'. It's much quicker than air travel (no security hassle, and it takes you directly to the center of the City rather than an airport an hour away), and it's less expensive. And there's something comforting about riding the train. On the other hand, a friend once said that the one thing that Amtrak has been able to accomplish with total success is to demonstrate that the railroads could lower their standard of service to match the airlines.

The issue with trains is that there is usually a wait between the time the inbound train arrives, and the outbound train departs. And since there is no seating at the track itself, you have to go do a waiting room. There is no
'arrival' and 'departure' area per se.

And to complicate matters, it's generally not know for sure what track a train will depart on until just before departure - that's because trains are assigned to tracks as they are available when the train arrives in the station. It is true that there can be a 'usual' track for a specific train, but there's no guarantee that the desired train will actually be on that track on a given day.

My recollection is that at Union Station, the track level is only very slightly lower in elevation than the waiting room, and that there is a ramp that you must take down to the track. That's unlike Penn Station in NY where the waiting room is probably 50' higher in elevation than the track, and you have to take either an elevator or escalator to move from one to the other.
My experience in NYC was always through Grand Central Station so I never really went into Penn Station there. Hundreds of times through Grand Central. Came in on the New York, New Haven and Hartford railroad from Boston or Providence or the New York Central from Poughkeepsie.

monophoto

My experience in NYC was always through Grand Central Station so I never really went into Penn Station there. Hundreds of times through Grand Central. Came in on the New York, New Haven and Hartford railroad from Boston or Providence or the New York Central from Poughkeepsie.[/quote]

Yes - Grand Central is truly grand. Penn Station is like the ninth circle of hell.

Interesting factoid - Grand Central replaced an earlier train station on the same footprint. When the old station was torn down, the marble columns holding up the ceiling were saved and recycled, and today are part of Union Station in Utica, NY. Utica's Union Station isn't heavily used, and few people know about. Sad - its an elegant space.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not in a while but still much more comfortable than by plane. Take it to the next MAPG and I'll pick you up in Richmond.
The worst thing for us is we have to travel to get to Amtrak....we're a bit over 100 miles from BWI airport where we can get it, a little farther from Washington DC about 70 miles from Wilmington DE and of course if we leave from BWI or Wilmington we need to change trains in DC...

stonepecker

Now you have me wondering if I can get to Atlanta, GA from Minnesota for the AAW next June. I am going to have to check into this.

In my younger days, I loved traveling by train.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
My brother got a lifetime pass when he retired from Amtrak and used it many times. He came to visit us in Florida from Indy. I recall he had to spend a night in either DC or Baltimore. There is a website with current scheduling also a phone line you can call for the info you seek. I recommend you get a sleeper if available. You'll be more comfortable and enjoy the ride with fewer distractions.

Hope this helps. Btw the website has a map for their service lines. You may find it interesting. Good luck.

Top Bottom