Members Only?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Members Only?

• Total voters

mbower

I have to agree with Proud_Poppa_of_2. If I hadn't been able to read the forums before joining, I'm not sure I would have joined. What reason would we not let people read the forums?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeyMike

Hi,

I'm a newbie here. I'm about as net literate as it's possible to be. I'm a novice turner and semi-skilled carpenter. I've read through this thread and have two observations to make:

1. The site is a forum. This is where you attract new blood. For this reason, most areas should be visible to all visitors. Closed forums are a waste of bandwidth. People die, lose interst, move on to other things.... Membership wanes and there's no draw to bring in new blood.

I've seen any number of forum sites and brick and mortar clubs close because they restricted themselves to an early grave. You can stay private and secretive, but it's not good practice. The net is for information sharing. After all, how are you going to demonstrate your arcane knowledge of tools, wood, and turning? How are you going to entice the next wave of pen turners to take over the reins when you've spun your last chip into the air?

2. There are valid concerns amongst those members who wish to discuss business practices and procedures. For that reason, they desire privacy.

Snitz Forums support private/invisible forum areas. Perhaps if the business-minded members were provided access to an area to discuss business stuff, everyone could be satisfied.

You hardcore turners have an institutional responsibility to help teach youngsters and unskilled wannabe turners. Not everyone is fortunate enough to live near a club full of turners, let alone a single other turner. The closest club to me is a 90 minute drive (provided traffic is light). I rely on the various woodworking forums to learn new techniques and get ideas for my own projects.

Just my two cents.

jwoodwright

It's amazing how this has grown. Yes, I was a "lurker" before I joined. I've seen great growth and the techniques!

CA for finish! Around 2005 that idea was approached and then Don Ward did a tutorial in 2006.

Eagle and his exotic inlays!

YoYo Spin and his great turnings and o-rings and beads at the finger grip. Then his inlays and onto his PR.

We even had an elected President, albeit short reign... Long live Lou...

This site has grown and there are just so many folks that care and share.

My advice, read and learn and join us, we have room for everyone!
Who knows, you may be the person that takes the humble slimline to the next level...

djz9

Having only been a member for the past coupe of months, I am grateful for the information from the other members, and the warm welcome I received when I joined. I really can't think of a thing I would change except, just to protect the people who give the time to do a group buy, I am not sure if anyone has been stuck by someone ordering a quantity, then not following thru after the order is made. If that part were a member only area, it might help. However I am inspired by the talent of the other members here, and I can't wait to get as many ideas as I can get from the members as soon as I get my site up. Can someone copy it, well yes, but if I don't evolve to higher levels then my product will not sell. Everyday I turn, and everyday I read, I find something new on the site, and see something new in the wood I work with. I try to teach my son, that every part of my day is learning new things, and showing the best of what I have to others. I am now 50 and I can say it still works for me, and I hope the same for my 16yr old son. Thanks to all for your help and information, I only wish I had the time in the day to sit and read all of the posts, and respond to every new member as so many of you did to me, but I will try to say welcome as much as I can. Dave

aurrida

i guess the creators of this site originally wanted a forum to share with as many people as possible for a number of reasons.

i believe the accessibility and open door policy has made this the number 1 site for pen turning. we have all cut our teeth here as such and should not forget it. we have all made progress thanks to others hard work. i have personally taken a lot from here, i feel obliged to give something back, and not sneak off and protect my few pieces of 'gold'.

i also believe that those who copy remain one step behind the game and those who innervate forge ahead, and good for them. they have a talent it should be encouraged and supported. the rewards for the industry in general and for this site will benefit us all. its a free market deal with it, ultimately the customer will decide.

KKingery

Just my 2 cents worth - when I first found this site, I was impressed by how "open" it was to viewing. It was that total open-ness?, that made me feel welcome, and helped make my decision to join easy.

woodchuckcuda

Just joined yesterday. Without the possibility of viewing the contents, I would not have been able to determine how this site would benefit me now, as a novice and hopefully, I could return the favor in the future with what I have learned.

Keep the contents available for all. What does that hurt?

Jeff,
I didn't read all the posts and replies to your initial question... I've joined a couple of forums that would allow you to see the posts, but not to post unless a member.. I'm sure a lot of turners may well "lurk" and learn without joining... but if they want to contribute to the site or post a comment, should maybe require a membership.. I'm sure I read a lot of threads and posts before I joined. It's a great site and I think I have "met" a lot of great penmakers here, some in person, some only on-line, but great folks none-the-less. Thanks for what you do.

Top Bottom